Bills have shown interest in Lavonte David.

MAJBobby

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can't cover. The 1990s called. They want their linebacker back.

Sal just said on Twitter that he thinks the Bills may be targeting more of a downhill "thumper" at LB after letting Tremaine walk.

If so, that is EXACTLY who Long is.

Has anything else come out other than that initial tweet reporting some interest?  

With us losing Edmunds, and now seeing some other LB's land else where, there are not a lot of great options remaining.  I have a feeling Beane is letting the market shake out, but I just hope we don't wait too long given how important of a position it is in McD's defense.  

My first choice was Al-Shaair, but he is going to the Titans.  My second choice is David, so hope we see some movement on this soon.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Sal just said on Twitter that he thinks the Bills may be targeting more of a downhill "thumper" at LB after letting Tremaine walk.

Long is a Dolphin. David is a thumper who can also cover at a high level

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I saw that from Sal, and tell Sal the Bills need 3 down backers against modern offenses. I'm not even sure down hill thumpers even exist anymore 

Here is the thing with Edmunds. Him and Milano are exact same skill set. Good sideline to sideline that are not aggressive at POA (Milano is a bit better here). What I think the Bills are looking for here are same coverage and range ability but more violent at the point of attack. And more stout at POA. That is what Sal means by thumper. 

can either of the two former rookies Benard or Spector or even Dodson fill that eventually?  I think that would be their plan. But look at an older type player that also fits that mold to come in and teach the Benards Spectors Dodsons or Rookie in the twilight of their career. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agree that is who Long is. I'll believe it is what the Bills want when I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is the thing with Edmunds. Him and Milano are exact same skill set. Good sideline to sideline that are not aggressive at POA (Milano is a bit better here). What I think the Bills are looking for here are same coverage and range ability but more violent at the point of attack. And more stout at POA. That is what Sal means by thumper. 

can either of the two former rookies Benard or Spector or even Dodson fill that eventually?  I think that would be their plan. But look at an older type player that also fits that mold to come in and teach the Benards Spectors Dodsons or Rookie in the twilight of their career. 

Milano is a better player than Edmunds. Edmunds had a knack for being out of position quite a bit at the POA. Got pushed around some and was late to play when the tackle already occurred.  Yeah, he may have had a better season last year, but I don’t put a lot of stock in how good a player is in the last year of a contract. 

I’d like to see a vet guy who can hold the position for a season or two. Maybe we have Edmunds replacement on the roster now?  Maybe we draft a guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What I think the Bills are looking for here are same coverage and range ability but more violent at the point of attack. And more stout at POA. That is what Sal means by thumper. 

can either of the two former rookies Benard or Spector or even Dodson fill that eventually?

No

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Has anything else come out other than that initial tweet reporting some interest?  

With us losing Edmunds, and now seeing some other LB's land else where, there are not a lot of great options remaining.  I have a feeling Beane is letting the market shake out, but I just hope we don't wait too long given how important of a position it is in McD's defense.  

My first choice was Al-Shaair, but he is going to the Titans.  My second choice is David, so hope we see some movement on this soon.

Yup, Al-Shaair, David, VanderE in that order. All would be 7-9 M range.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

I saw that from Sal, and tell Sal the Bills need 3 down backers against modern offenses. I'm not even sure down hill thumpers even exist anymore 

I was surprised by Sal's comment too, but I wonder if he knows something from the Bills front office or if he is just speculating.

Long can cover. He's not great at it, but he's also not horrible at it either. He is NOT Reggie Ragland who couldn't cover at all. Obviously Long is a Dolphin now but I would have loved to have him in red and blue.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I was surprised by Sal's comment too, but I wonder if he knows something from the Bills front office or if he is just speculating.

Long can cover. He's not great at it, but he's also not horrible at it either. He is NOT Reggie Ragland who couldn't cover at all. Obviously Long is a Dolphin now but I would have loved to have him in red and blue.

Thing is, if Long is the LB, then the Bills would have to go to a real 4-3 because they wouldn't have two backers who can go sideline to sideline and they have to play Long as much as they'd be paying him, and then add another slot to go Dime as your base pass package,  because they would only have 1 backer who's reliable in coverage

If anything, I'd rather just toss Bernard into the fire as the Will then pay for someone like Long

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.