Dolphins Pick Up Tua's 5th Year Option

MIAMI -- The Dolphins will exercise the fifth-year option on Tua Tagovailoa, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday, locking the quarterback in well ahead of the May 2 deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35829886/sources-dolphins-pick-5th-year-option-qb-tua-tagovailoa

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have a difficult time understanding why they felt the need to do this right now. 

What is the real downside of waiting until after next season to see if he's healthy?

If he produces and you want to keep him, you still have to pay him either way.  But guaranteeing his salary for 2024 when he had 3 concussions last year?  

Nucking Futs

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I have a difficult time understanding why they felt the need to do this right now. 

What is the real downside of waiting until after next season to see if he's healthy?

If he produces and you want to keep him, you still have to pay him either way.  But guaranteeing his salary for 2024 when he had 3 concussions last year?  

Nucking Futs

Pretty sure they had to make this call by the end of the month.  Kind of a no brainer considering Tua showed he can play and it’s only $23m to lock him up for another year.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Nucking Futs

Cant wait until next year, you have to do it by May of the year before.

I agree its nuts to pick it up and count on him past this season (or even counting on him making it through this season).

Tua must have learned to fall down correctly, 

• Haha (+1) 2

Unless they were going to go after Lamar they didn't have much choice.  I would hate to be in the Phin's GM's shoes right now.  How do you write a contract for this guy with a $100+mm in guarantees with his injury history?  Picking up the 5th year option is an easy call, the next contract is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Unless they were going to go after Lamar they didn't have much choice.  I would hate to be in the Phin's GM's shoes right now.  How do you write a contract for this guy with a $100+mm in guarantees with his injury history?  Picking up the 5th year option is an easy call, the next contract is the issue.

They were going to Get Brady  supposedly 

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Nucking Futs

It will limit the damages that Tua can claim in the lawsuit.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

PR move.

They would like worst then they already do if they kicked  the guy to curb after what they did to him. This way they force themselves to keep him for two more years regardless of injury or how he plays. 

Agreed, it's also the right thing to do after they screwed him perhaps permanently.  If he is healthy and plays like he was, then this is a good deal for Miami.  

On 3/10/2023 at 4:47 PM, Kiva said:

Seems like a weak attempt. Tuna is damaged goods. Time to hang ‘em up. 

You don't say.  I have a theory on how Tua is able to get back on the field when he gets concussed.

Tua had the lowest Wonderlic score of any QB in 2020 draft with a 13.  So he has a baseline score that is slightly ahead of a wombat.  Nice guy and personality but not sure the lights were ever on.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, mushypeaches said:

Nucking Futs

maybe it’s an olive branch for playing fast-and-loose with his brain health.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:44 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

MIAMI -- The Dolphins will exercise the fifth-year option on Tua Tagovailoa, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday, locking the quarterback in well ahead of the May 2 deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35829886/sources-dolphins-pick-5th-year-option-qb-tua-tagovailoa

I guess they had to make some kind of gesture what with paying Mike White 2 yrs/$8M

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.