Per Daily News: Giants Eyeing Beasley as FA Target and May Trade for Gabe Davis

ChevyVanMiller

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

For Davis you could probably get a 3. The Giants have two of them and one is a late third. I think it is a reasonable ask. At the same time, if you are Bills you have to have a plan to replace him. At the end of the day he played the most snaps of any of our WR and was productive. He isn’t as good as we want him to be, and he likely is playing elsewhere next year. But, if you can’t find something better I think you need to hold on to him. 

I'm more concerned about losing him without getting a 3rd than worrying about a roster hole. There are FA's and draft players (Tillman, Flowers) who can easily fill his shoes. And as others have stated, we're losing him anyway,  regardless of what kind of last season he has.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:43 AM, Doc said:

I'd trade Davis for a 1st.

I'd only do this.  As big a "disappointment" as Davis has been, he's really only disappointing because of the position the FO put him in.  He's a 4th round pick who is what he is.  Good at what he does, with some bizarre drops.  He's a solid #3.  I'd rather draft a WR who can become a #1 or complement Diggs and Davis than create another hole.  Getting a 1st rounder lets us draft that back, but anything in the 2-3 is risky.  

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm more concerned about losing him without getting a 3rd than worrying about a roster hole. There are FA's and draft players (Tillman, Flowers) who can easily fill his shoes. And as others have stated, we're losing him anyway,  regardless of what kind of last season he has.

Good point, if we have a replacement plan for Davis in FA then I'm fine getting a 3rd for him.  That could be a OG or impact RB or a 1 trick WR like the kid from Houston.  (I know, people are like--not another 3rd round RB.  But Tank Bigsby could go there).  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just trade Davis to AZ…

AZ sends Hopkins and 34th pick to Bills.

Bills send Davis, our 28th pick and our 2024 4th round pick.

We then restructure Hopkins deal to help with the cap.  

How about Oliver for Hopkins ? The $ make sense and both teams have needs at added position. Davis moves to the 3rd spot. And Shakir is 4.. add one more late in the draft and all set at WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

How about Oliver for Hopkins ? The $ make sense and both teams have needs at added position. Davis moves to the 3rd spot. And Shakir is 4.. add one more late in the draft and all set at WR. 

I would be good with that too

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would be good with that too

Yeah I like your idea of possibly trading for Nuk. Still think he and Diggs could give us 2 solid seasons.  I think it's a done deal that we'll be trading both Ed & Gabe for as much value ( hopefully offensive) as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah I like your idea of possibly trading for Nuk. Still think he and Diggs could give us 2 solid seasons.  I think it's a done deal that we'll be trading both Ed & Gabe for as much value ( hopefully offensive) as possible. 

That would restore so much confidence for me in this FO.  

Forward thinking moves that also give us help immediately. 

Neither of those two are pieces to build around.  

Best case scenario, they both blow up next year and we can’t afford them.    

For that to happen, Oliver is dependent upon the DL staying healthy, while Davis is dependent upon Diggs and another WR weapon added.  

No need to keep “dependent upon others” players around for a Championship run.   They are not essential for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not a snarky quip here, I am curious…

Aside from possibly Davis to the Giants, what team/s is/are trading for Gabe and Oliver? 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s not about giving up on him, it’s a no win situation for the Bills.  If Davis has another similar year, they are going to need to replace him anyway, it won’t be good enough.  But if Davis has a big year, we won’t be able to afford paying him and Diggs big money at WR that he would command in FA that would be at a min over $20M per year and could be quite a bit higher depending on just how big his season was.

Translation:  It is highly unlikely Davis remains a Buffalo Bill after next year.  So if we can get a 3rd or better, I would pull the trigger right now personally.  But I am not convinced a guy coming off a disappointing season with a terrible catch rate, and among the league leaders in drops is going to bring back even a 3rd rounder.  

I think one lesson GMs may be learning is that drafting younger players "who can develop" like Edmunds and Davis creates the no win situation you mention, without getting meaningful production on the rookie contract.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I won’t go so far as say a “done deal”, but I think trading one or both is certainly a plausible scenario if the right offers came about.  I can’t see Beane offloading either for cheap, they have more value to the team than that.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just trade Davis to AZ…

AZ sends Hopkins and 34th pick to Bills.

Bills send Davis, our 28th pick and our 2024 4th round pick.

We then restructure Hopkins deal to help with the cap.  

That would be fine in my eyes. My only real concern is Dhop can't stay on the field. His sample size is very large too. Could be a Crowder like scenario. Big risk vs reward. 

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why is it a done deal for Davis ? His cap hit vs production is very reasonable. Oliver not so much. Ok we move Davis then where are we at with WR. Draft 2 rookies who need to be #2 and #3. That’s exactly the opposite of supporting Josh and improving the O. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That would be fine in my eyes. My only real concern is Dhop can't stay on the field. His sample size is very large too. Could be a Crowder like scenario. Big risk vs reward. 

Why do you say that?  Other than his injury in 2021 where he missed 6 games, he only missed 2 games the rest of his entire career due to injury.  

In 2022, he missed games due to suspension for something he was taking during his recovery from the 2021 injury.  He wasn’t hurt.  

He has shown no issues staying on the field and showed this year he has plenty left in the tank too.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, DCofNC said:

send them the whole gang, they can take Diggs too for their entire draft.

I'd trade Diggs for a 1st and 2nd.  ... then again, what would Beane do with the picks, more Olivers and Cooks.  

Our problem has been in the playoffs, not the regular season.  Diggs hasn't done much of anything in the playoffs, particularly against KC in two games or Cinci.  

He's averaged 4 catches for 40 yards and 0 TDs in those three games.  More is expected of someone getting paid what he's getting paid.  

We seem to be entering the same phase that we were in after four Super Bowl losses, except on a lower level, and with the same expectation.  Simply making the playoffs or going to the AFC CG isn't enough now.  The expectation with Allen, in the limited number of unknown years he has left, and assuming he doesn't bolt after two more seasons, is a Championship.  

In order to do that we have to step up our playoff performances something fierce, especially against the primary challengers to preventing that.  Diggs has not done that here.  He's good for great numbers in the regular season, but come playoff time, quite the opposite.  In our last 5 playoff games going back to our humiliation @KC in 2020, he's averaged about 4-1/2 catches for 59 yards and not a TD in any of 'em.  He needs to do better, much better, come playoff time.  

Those numbers over a 17-game season are 1,000 yards.   

Edited by PBF81

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do you say that?  Other than his injury in 2021 where he missed 6 games, he only missed 2 games the rest of his entire career due to injury.  

In 2022, he missed games due to suspension for something he was taking during his recovery from the 2021 injury.  He wasn’t hurt.  

He has shown no issues staying on the field and showed this year he has plenty left in the tank too.  

I stand corrected. I had in my head that he was consistently injuried. Thanks. 

I’m not sure why everyone keeps laughing at the Giants for DJ, maybe looking at a guy like Davis etc..

Theyre in the NFC, not AFC.  Who do they have to worry about?  Dallas?  SF with no QB?  Philly that went for it last year, didn’t win it, and is now losing a ton of pieces?

Its a different world over in that conference. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd trade Diggs for a 1st and 2nd.  ... then again, what would Beane do with the picks, more Olivers and Cooks.  

Our problem has been in the playoffs, not the regular season.  Diggs hasn't done much of anything in the playoffs, particularly against KC in two games or Cinci.  

He's averaged 4 catches for 40 yards and 0 TDs in those three games.  More is expected of someone getting paid what he's getting paid.  

We seem to be entering the same phase that we were in after four Super Bowl losses, except on a lower level, and with the same expectation.  Simply making the playoffs or going to the AFC CG isn't enough now.  The expectation with Allen, in the limited number of unknown years he has left, and assuming he doesn't bolt after two more seasons, is a Championship.  

In order to do that we have to step up our playoff performances something fierce, especially against the primary challengers to preventing that.  Diggs has not done that here.  He's good for great numbers in the regular season, but come playoff time, quite the opposite.  In our last 5 playoff games going back to our humiliation @KC in 2020, he's averaged about 4-1/2 catches for 59 yards and not a TD in any of 'em.  He needs to do better, much better, come playoff time.  

Those numbers over a 17-game season are 1,000 yards.   

Can't deny the facts. Diggs has been ineffective in the big playoff games. However, I think we need to "Digg" deeper as to why. I believe it's pretty easy to take him away with double teams. That's why Davis was able to have a monster game. In short, it's not all Diggs' fault. 

I would absolutely be open to trading Diggs. Get Dhop, another WR, and valuable draft picks. Heck yes sign me up.

My prediction is that Diggs is going to become a problem in the locker room. He's beginning to show early signs of discontent. We know his history in Minn. Connect the dots sort of speak. 

Edited by newcam2012

47 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I stand corrected. I had in my head that he was consistently injuried. Thanks. 

No worries, happens all the time, usually a product of recency bias and to be fair to you, he had missed time 2 consecutive years.  Just this year it wasn’t because he couldn’t stay on the field, it was over him not being eligible to be in the field from things he did working to recover the year before.  

That being said, he is entering an age where injury is still of a higher risk regardless, so there will always be a little risk once a receiver gets into his 30’s.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Can't deny the facts. Diggs has been ineffective in the big playoff games. However, I think we need to "Digg" deeper as to why. I believe it's pretty easy to take him away with double teams. That's why Davis was able to have a monster game. In short, it's not all Diggs' fault. 

I would absolutely be open to trading Diggs. Get Dhop, another WR, and valuable draft picks. Heck yes sign me up.

My prediction is that Diggs is going to become a problem in the locker room. He's beginning to show early signs of discontent. We know his history in Minn. Connect the dots sort of speak. 

But, the only facts that matter is that his contract makes him impossible for the team to trade, which makes trading Diggs a dead topic.  

We can’t trade him without severely hurting the team the next 2 seasons while we are trying to compete for Super Bowls.  He has a $35m dead cap hit this year unless traded after June 1st, where he still has over a $12m dead cap hit.  Then he still has a $24m dead cap hit next year.  

Trading him would be a disaster for a team with little cap space.  It’s never going to happen without something catastrophic happening with Diggs where the team has no choice.

He is clearly the 2nd best player on the team behind only Allen, so losing him already sets the team back as we are not replacing him with someone as good as he is right now.  And with the cap hits will prevent us from upgrading the team elsewhere and could even cost us to lose players too.  

Diggs isn’t set to go anywhere at this stage unless significantly more substantial develops.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes with the players, but they're all party-line during the season, then during the offseason it's all "business."   We don't know what's contrived drama by the media and what isn't.  But it's not a good look to have several players now, some of our bigger names, implying unfavorable things.  

Completely agree on the first part of your statement, but now we're getting into a discussion about McD.  LOL  

I'm starting to think that Frasier left to actually enhance his chances of getting a head-coaching job, that he feels derailed by McD and wants to show that he was the master of the regular season Ds, presumably implying that McD took over in the playoffs.  It's all speculation on my part, but the whole thing was strange and unprecedented.  Unlike some have said, his contract had not expired.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm amazed that Beasley is still able to find work

If we address WR and he’s, say, our WR5 slot insurance/limited snap receiver .. I’d absolutely have him back on a team friendly contract. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll go on the record, again, as being a guy thinking Gabe has a nice upswing next season. 

We shall see. Make other arrangements as well. 

I hate to say it but the best news of the off-season was that he had a high ankle right? He looked like a cruise ship changing direction at times

if his leg truly heals up it could be major 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I hate to say it but the best news of the off-season was that he had a high ankle right? He looked like a cruise ship changing direction at times

if his leg truly heals up it could be major 

Problem is, he’s had ankle issues every season it seems like.  His catch rate is just not good enough. Maybe the Giants would give us a 2nd

38 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Problem is, he’s had ankle issues every season it seems like.  His catch rate is just not good enough. Maybe the Giants would give us a 2nd

This early in his career, it’s hard to say it’s something more substantial and not just bad luck a couple times. 

if we get a high pick- great. If not, at least a reason to hope for improvement. I don’t expect guys to randomly shoot through the roof but a high ankle is substantial to play through, potentially 

With Davis, same as Oliver, they just dont seem like guys we can afford to pay moving forward.  

Best case scenario, they crush it and at least one of them walks after the season.   

Seems to me that we’ve ran it back enough.  The current iteration of this team ran its course and inexplicably got blown out by the Bengals.  It’s time for a shake up off-season, and we could really use Oliver’s cap space and some picks from him and Davis to reset the roster and hopefully add some guys that help us breakthrough. 

Neither is critical to our Super Bowl chances.  Neither is likely to be elite.  We can’t keep paying “good” players.   Move on a year early rather than lose them for nothing.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.