Aaron Rodgers talking with the Jets

Matt_In_NH

Not ONE analyst has mentioned the fact that Rodgers is going from one of the best pass protecting lines to one of the worst. Did they not see what happened to Wilson and White behind that atrocity of a line?

Still shocked nobody seems to recognize that! It's a huge deal with an old QB like Rodgers.

Green Bay has them both over a barrel. They don’t have to hand him over for nothing. They want something of value or they can tell him he can’t go. It’s funny because Rodgers pulls crap on them every offseason so they are pulling crap on him now! I hope they are asking for players and not just picks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I really think this deal is going to fall apart.  Green Bay is going to want two first round draft picks and the Jets are not going to give them that.

I think GB will settle for a 1st this year and two more picks. Some combination of maybe two 3rds. One this year and one next year that becomes a second rounder if Rodgers plays in 2024. 

Jets really have no choice but to pay whatever GB asks for. I just thinking the asking price from GB comes down eventually. GB is definitely getting a 1st and 3rd at minimum, I think. 

No rush on GB's part though so might as well as continue to ask for two firsts at least up to the draft. 

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

I hope they are asking for players and not just picks. 

Agreed! Would rather get Sauce Gardner and a 3rd rounder over two 1st rounders bacck from the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

Green Bay has them both over a barrel. They don’t have to hand him over for nothing. They want something of value or they can tell him he can’t go. It’s funny because Rodgers pulls crap on them every offseason so they are pulling crap on him now! I hope they are asking for players and not just picks. 

No, they don't. If GB doesn't work out a trade they have to pay Rodgers $60M and I don't think they want to do that.

Jets have 100% of the leverage here and there is no way Green Bay is getting a top 15 overall pick for a 39 year old QB with a $50 million salary who will probably retire next offseason. 

Plus, don't forget: Love has put the word out that he will demand a trade if Rodgers comes back. 

Green Bay cannot afford to have Rodgers coming back with his enormous salary. Does anyone truly believe that he'll be backing up Jordan Love? LOL

Even assuming the Packers went with that plan, they would get nothing for Rodgers in a trade, pay him $50+ million, and have a never ending circus going on while they're trying to hand the baton to Love. 

Plus the Packers would have 2 disgruntled, angry QBs who want out in that scenario. 

I am going to really enjoy watching Green Bay fall into the abyss for the foreseeable future. They turned $1M into $750K with both Favre and Rodgers. Lucked into 2 HOF QBs and refused to do what was necessary to surround them with the talent and coaching (aside from Holmgren and Favre) to win more rings. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, nucci said:

No, they don't. If GB doesn't work out a trade they have to pay Rodgers $60M and I don't think they want to do that.

Well, no, not exactly.

The contract gives Rodgers an "option bonus" of $58M, exercisable between Mar 17 and Week 1.  If it's exercised, it amortizes over the life of the contract and GB owes Rodgers $31M this season but it makes him less tradeable in future years as it gives them more dead cap.

But they have until Week 1, so they can sit and wait.

48 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Jets have 100% of the leverage here and there is no way Green Bay is getting a top 15 overall pick for a 39 year old QB with a $50 million salary who will probably retire next offseason. 

Plus, don't forget: Love has put the word out that he will demand a trade if Rodgers comes back. 

Green Bay cannot afford to have Rodgers coming back with his enormous salary. Does anyone truly believe that he'll be backing up Jordan Love? LOL

Even assuming the Packers went with that plan, they would get nothing for Rodgers in a trade, pay him $50+ million, and have a never ending circus going on while they're trying to hand the baton to Love. 

Plus the Packers would have 2 disgruntled, angry QBs who want out in that scenario. 

I am going to really enjoy watching Green Bay fall into the abyss for the foreseeable future. They turned $1M into $750K with both Favre and Rodgers. Lucked into 2 HOF QBs and refused to do what was necessary to surround them with the talent and coaching (aside from Holmgren and Favre) to win more rings. 

Your last point is so true.

The Packers get so much credit from the media for being this smart, efficient organization.

They’ve used 14 of 17 first picks in the draft during the Rodgers era on defense, and have taken a disengaged approach to free agency.

They have gotten the least out a 15 years of Rodgers.  

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Kind of feels like the opposite of this, maybe that makes some sort of common sense, but the Jets have gone all in giving all the leverage to Rogers and the Packers. They've signed multiple former teammates and Hacket to draw him there, it's had to think of a team more blatantly committed to making a move than them at this point.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Seems like the opposite is true regarding who has the leverage. Jets appear to have put their eggs in the Rodgers basket and will probably have to cave at some point. If I’m GB then I’m in no hurry to trade him. I’d sooner pay him to not play than give him away for peanuts.

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, no, not exactly.

The contract gives Rodgers an "option bonus" of $58M, exercisable between Mar 17 and Week 1.  If it's exercised, it amortizes over the life of the contract and GB owes Rodgers $31M this season but it makes him less tradeable in future years as it gives them more dead cap.

But they have until Week 1, so they can sit and wait.

If GB can wait until week 1 then I could see the Jets moving on. They will need/want their new QB to develop some chemistry in the offseason with his new teammates otherwise they risk having Zach start the season for them. I doubt they want that.

48 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If GB can wait until week 1 then I could see the Jets moving on. They will need/want their new QB to develop some chemistry in the offseason with his new teammates otherwise they risk having Zach start the season for them. I doubt they want that.

Yes, I agree - the Jets need to pull the trigger much earlier.  Not just chemistry, but they need a playbook tailored to the strengths of their QB whoever that might be.

But they've already limited their options at QB.  Who will they move on to, at this point?

My point was only that I think GB kind of has the Jets over a bit of a barrel here.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Your last point is so true.

The Packers get so much credit from the media for being this smart, efficient organization.

They’ve used 14 of 17 first picks in the draft during the Rodgers era on defense, and have taken a disengaged approach to free agency.

They have gotten the least out a 15 years of Rodgers.  

And 17 years of Favre before that. 

I know it’s a little crazy to criticize an organization that won two Lombardi Trophies during the Favre/Rodgers eras when the Bills are still in search of their first. 

But to see a team go over 30 consecutive years with first ballot HOF QBs only win two is borderline pathetic. 

• Agree 2

Green Bay isn't spending money like a drunken sailor this FA period. It almost seems like they expect to be paying Rodgers this season.

Sauce Gardner lining up on one side and Jaire Alexander lining up on the other would make the Packers tough to pass on.