Aaron Rodgers talking with the Jets

Matt_In_NH

Green Bay is about to fall into the abyss of irrelevance for a decade or more like they were before Favre arrived.

From 1968 to 1992 they made the playoffs in 2 seasons, with a 1-2 postseason record. Lots of dismal football in there. That 24 seasons.

Everything old is new again, as they say!

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

if this thing blows up....GB is in way worse shape....they are stuck with a huge contract and a distruptive presence

the jets can still go forward in several directions....

therefore i say the jets have more leverage

No they aren't. They can cut him all the way up to week 1 and have no problems. The Jets have basically sold this to their fans already and they are waiting. What other direction can they go in? Drafting another guy? Rolling with Zach Wilson? GB has ALL of the leverage and frankly the price should have gone up.

Edited by That's No Moon

20 hours ago, Yantha said:

Thumbs up if you are annoyed with Aaron Rodgers.......

Thought it was funny about 2 weeks ago hearing Rodgers ripping the Packers for not being up front with their plans to move on.  This is the same guy two seasons ago, Green bay had no idea what he was planning to do, play retire, no one knew.

Hey Arron, as they say, what goes around comes around!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Don't forget that Jordan Love is expected to request a trade if Rodgers returns, so Green Bay is in a real mess if they don't just stop trying to be the "tough guys" and find a way to get the deal done. They aren't getting a high 1st in the 2023 draft for a 39 year old guy with an insane contract who will just retire after this season anyway. 

If I'm the Jets MAYBE I wait until after the draft then agree to send my 2024 1st rounder, expecting it to be very late in the 1st round, just to get the deal done. But that's my offer, not a boatload of picks for a 1 year deal. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Don't forget that Jordan Love is expected to request a trade if Rodgers returns, so Green Bay is in a real mess if they don't just stop trying to be the "tough guys" and find a way to get the deal done. They aren't getting a 1st for a 39 year old guy with an insane contract who will just retire after this season anyway. 

If I'm the Jets MAYBE I wait until after the draft then agree to send my 2024 1st rounder, expecting it to be very late in the 1st round, just to get the deal done. But that's my offer, not a boatload of picks for a 1 year deal. 

I'll repeat this. Rodgers contract is structured in such a way that GB can cut him all the way up to week 1 and get out from under it.

I'm sure they will give Rodgers permission to miss camp in that scenario. If Rodgers shows up anyway and is a problem the Packers can suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team and send him out. They still don't need to release him

Edited by That's No Moon

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'll repeat this. Rodgers contract is structured in such a way that GB can cut him all the way up to week 1 and get out from under it.

and if they cut him he is a free agent, able to go anywhere he wants, which is something Green Bay doesn't want. 

Any team with interest also knows that as Week 1 approaches Green Bay is screwed. So they will wait until he's cut, then he's a free agent with zero trade cost. 

The Jets are the best option GB has. AFC team, hard for Rodgers to get to the Super Bowl, they get to decide where he goes.

If they cut him he'll end up in SF or some other NFC team, almost guaranteed. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

In dealing with the Packers, it’s time for the Jets to act like New Yorkers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/22/in-dealing-with-the-packers-its-time-for-the-jets-to-act-like-new-yorkers/

They owe Rodgers nearly $60 million, fully guaranteed, for 2023. If they don’t trade him by Week One, his $58.3 million roster bonus becomes 2023 base salary — sending his cap number through the roof.

Rodgers should tell the Packers that, if he’s not traded before the start of training camp, he’ll be showing up, just like Brett Favre did 15 years ago. Rodgers should tell the Packers that he’ll be there, and that he’ll stay there, until he’s traded, that he fully expects to participate in practice (by rule, the team can’t put him on ice), creating the risk that he’ll suffer a season-ending injury that will put the Packers firmly on the hook for his full compensation package.

Edited by papazoid

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm sure they will give Rodgers permission to miss camp in that scenario. If Rodgers shows up anyway and is a problem the Packers can suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team and send him out. They still don't need to release him

How?

It shows a $99M dead cap hit for this year if he is released.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

I agree that it looks like NEXT YEAR they can get out of it at pretty much any time. Although there is still $150M in guarantees, but I can see those are Option Bonuses starting in 2024.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

and if they cut him he is a free agent, able to go anywhere he wants, which is something Green Bay doesn't want. 

They just want to control him but don't want him on their team. It's a joke, same thing they did with Favre, doing everything they could to stop him from going to the Vikings. 

Yep, he would be, but I don't think anyone actually believes it will get this far. The expiration date is the draft. The Jets will either blink or they won't. There is nothing saying the Packers have to trade him to NY or that he'd necessarily sign with the Jets if he were released. The Jets put themselves in this position when they went to meet with him without having compensation sorted out with the Packers. Exactly nobody forced Rodgers to sign that contract. Nobody. What the Packers are doing is called asset management. You want one for our assets? You pay for it. You really think the Jets are willing to wait until week one to get Rodgers in the building?

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

In dealing with the Packers, it’s time for the Jets to act like New Yorkers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/22/in-dealing-with-the-packers-its-time-for-the-jets-to-act-like-new-yorkers/

You don't mess with the crew from the mean streets of East Rutherford, NJ.

Edited by Gregg
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Rodgers has a contractual DUTY to show up once things are mandatory. He doesn't need to do anything else. His mere presence will be a 24/7 media circus. 

At that point, the Packers will need to do something and the Jets or any other team would hold all the cards. Same thing happened with Favre. 

Rodgers gets to be the "victim" being held hostage by the team who doesn't want him while their "franchise QB" looks over his shoulder everyday and the coach, players, and Jordan Love get to answer Aaron Rodgers questions every single day. All he has to say is he has a contract and wants to play football. 

If that's the Packers having "leverage" then I would hate to see what it looks like to be in tough. 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How?

It shows a $99M dead cap hit for this year if he is released.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

I agree that it looks like NEXT YEAR they can get out of it at pretty much any time. Although there is still $150M in guarantees, but I can see those are Option Bonuses starting in 2024.

Read down further into the option bonuses

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rodgers has a contractual DUTY to show up once things are mandatory. He doesn't need to do anything else. His mere presence will be a 24/7 media circus. 

At that point, the Packers will need to do something and the Jets or any other team would hold all the cards. Same thing happened with Favre. 

Rodgers gets to be the "victim" being held hostage by the team who doesn't want him while their "franchise QB" looks over his shoulder everyday and the coach, players, and Jordan Love get to answer Aaron Rodgers questions every single day. All he has to say is he has a contract and wants to play football. 

If that's the Packers having "leverage" then I would hate to see what it looks like to be in tough. 

He only has a duty to do that if the Packers intend to fine him for not showing up. They are well within their rights to excuse him from attendance.

Edited by That's No Moon

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Don't forget that Jordan Love is expected to request a trade if Rodgers returns, so Green Bay is in a real mess if they don't just stop trying to be the "tough guys" and find a way to get the deal done. They aren't getting a high 1st in the 2023 draft for a 39 year old guy with an insane contract who will just retire after this season anyway. 

Who does Jordan Love think is going to trade for him?

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yep, he would be, but I don't think anyone actually believes it will get this far. The expiration date is the draft. The Jets will either blink or they won't. There is nothing saying the Packers have to trade him to NY or that he'd necessarily sign with the Jets if he were released. The Jets put themselves in this position when they went to meet with him without having compensation sorted out with the Packers. Exactly nobody forced Rodgers to sign that contract. Nobody. What the Packers are doing is called asset management. You want one for our assets? You pay for it. You really think the Jets are willing to wait until week one to get Rodgers in the building?

Just theoretically... if I wanted to get my guy into free agency and knew there was almost no way it would happen voluntarily AND I wanted the whole thing to look like he was being held hostage and his career messed with by the team until it became such a mess that they had to release him, I would negotiate this very contract. 

Added bonus: the guy who doesn't like offseason stuff could miss it all, including camp, and hang out waiting for a SB contender to need a QB due to injury. Play a few weeks to get up to speed and go from there. 

Covid season showed that NFL players only need a few weeks and they're up to speed. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

He's the franchise! Better than Rodgers, and gives them a better chance to win. He should fetch more than Rodgers in a trade then. 

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Read down further into the option bonuses

He only has a duty to do that if the Packers intend to fine him for not showing up. They are well within their rights to excuse him from attendance.

Teams are not allowed to keep a player away. A deal could be reached between player and team, but that doesn't benefit Rodgers at all. 

In the end, they cannot under the CBA keep him away against his will if he's under contract. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Packers totally have the leverage BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE a QB who can start in Jordan Love. The Jets don't have that anymore.

The Jets are stuck and the Packers know it... it's brilliant because it forces the Jets to accept their price and sticks it to Rodgers for screwing them around season after season.

Jordan Love can start for the Packers just like Zach Wilson can start for the Jets.  While he hasn't proven to be as godawful, he also hasn't proven anything yet.  And I'm betting won't.

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Great question.

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

With who at WR? Lazard went to the Jets. Let him say he has a contract, big whoop... if the Jets want to go cheap in getting Rodgers and then don't get him after committing to Lazard with no viable starter at QB, that's a FAR worse problem, dontcha think?

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Jordan Love can start for the Packers just like Zach Wilson can start for the Jets.  While he hasn't proven to be as godawful, he also hasn't proven anything yet.  And I'm betting won't.

If Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets and doesn't retire then he still plays for the Packers.

If Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets and retires, their plan was to have Jordan Love start ANYWAYS.

It's a win-win for the Packers and they have full advantage.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

With who at WR? Lazard went to the Jets. Let him say he has a contract, big whoop... if the Jets want to go cheap in getting Rodgers and then don't get him after committing to Lazard with no viable starter at QB, that's a FAR worse problem, dontcha think?

If Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets and doesn't retire then he still plays for the Packers.

If Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets and retires, their plan was to have Jordan Love start ANYWAYS.

It's a win-win for the Packers and they have full advantage.

If the Jets have a good to very good WR in Lazard then that's great no matter who the QB is. It's not a problem at all to have a good player signed. 

IMO eventually the deal will get done. Maybe the Jets trading Moore to Cleveland for a 2nd gives them enough to give GB their 2nd this year, plus a conditional 2nd next year that becomes a first under certain circumstances.

A 2023 2nd (13th in the 2nd round) and a 2024 2nd that could become a 1st if certain conditions are met is a very good return for a 39 year old QB who you've come out and said you don't want. 

Last thing the Packers want is Rodgers playing this year in GB. In that scenario, Jordan Love demands a trade. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

22 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Unless he shows up and acts like an ass, or an Aaron Rodgers.

He has no history of that in the building or on the field. Just his being there, though, would be a media circus that would be non-stop. This would pressure the Packers to do something, and certainly would not be good for Jordan Love.