Who would be your free agency targets?

Wizard

On 3/4/2023 at 7:54 PM, GunnerBill said:

So I'd be willing to go to $13m AAV. That is about what Laken Tomlinson got last yesr from the Jets. His profile and age was similar (I like Semuelo better as a player tho). On that number Tomlinson's cap hit last year was $5.5m. I think a similar deal is doable. 

I don't love the rest of the class. I like Nate Davis a bit but don't love him and he might get more than Semuelo so that's no deal for me.

My second option is a trade with Tampa for Shaq Mason. They paid a 5th for him last year. They are now entering a likely rebuild. I reckon they might take a 5th back. He'd bring $8.5m with him but is a FA after the year, so you might be able to do a short extension and lower than number with some up front Pegula cash. 

Option 3 might be Risner from the Broncos but again I think you would have to overpay for his talent level.

Thanks for detailed response. It will be interesting to see how much he actually gets.

Problem I see is very similar to last year. We all want Beane to do something, but the options in FA are very limited, unless you want to overpay a lot. I think it was the same last year, when there were almost no realistic options how to uprage OL in FA (and very few in draft). As for overpaying, Beane did it with Morse, I thought it was a great idea but many claimed he gets too much. But that is the only way how to get top FA imo.

But again, I would always make my OL a priority, so hopefully somthing happens.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:55 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I feel like Perine is more of what we already have in Cook and Hines.  I’d rather have a guy who is a tough runner in the elements.

Perine is a power back. He's 5-11/ 235.  Cook and Hines both are speed backs around 195.  And besides you're the one who suggested Perine a month ago in your threads and I agreed?  Now if Bijan miraculously falls to us that's a whole different story. 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

Can Vander Esch stay healthy?? 

His neck history is an issue. I'm also warming up to the idea of Al-Shaair. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Main targets:
LB Germaine Pratt

-Former safety turned linebacker with an edge. Played for McDermott guy Dave Doeren. Backup plan: Bobby Owereke, Cole Holcomb or Drue Tranquill. 

WR OBJ

-talked about a lot. The only guy truly available and attainable who provides what this team needs. 

G Issac Semualo or Connor McGovern

-talked about these guys a lot. Instant starter at guard. 

CB Byron Murphy (safety convert)

-up and down career so far. A slow corner with a high football IQ and great ball skills. I think he would excel at safety

Cheap adds:

G David Edwards

-Kromer guy who was looking elite and got hurt. Still just 25 and could be a cheap upside add. 

C/G Michael Deiter

-Solid depth linemen who can play multiple positions

WR Mack Hollins

-huge receiver who has good speed and is an excellent gunner. Also a really fun dude and McBrane would have seen him a lot at UNC. Think Kumerow with receiver ability and personality. 

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Main targets:
LB Germaine Pratt

-Former safety turned linebacker with an edge. Played for McDermott guy Dave Doeren. Backup plan: Bobby Owereke, Cole Holcomb or Drue Tranquill. 

WR OBJ

-talked about a lot. The only guy truly available and attainable who provides what this team needs. 

G Issac Semualo or Connor McGovern

-talked about these guys a lot. Instant starter at guard. 

CB Byron Murphy (safety convert)

-up and down career so far. A slow corner with a high football IQ and great ball skills. I think he would excel at safety

Cheap adds:

G David Edwards

-Kromer guy who was looking elite and got hurt. Still just 25 and could be a cheap upside add. 

C/G Michael Deiter

-Solid depth linemen who can play multiple positions

WR Mack Hollins

-huge receiver who has good speed and is an excellent gunner. Also a really fun dude and McBrane would have seen him a lot at UNC. Think Kumerow with receiver ability and personality. 

Actually Edwards over Risner as my option 3. Wanted us to draft him. Definitely still potential growth there and as you say, scheme familiarity with Kromer. Forget he was a FA.

• Agree 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:15 AM, Orlando Tim said:

I don't have a single person but I have a position- OG and then OT. I think Tremaine is coming back and the defense is less of a worry than the ability to keep Josh upright. If we do TE, I pray it is a blocking TE to help Brown. 

I agree here. Just so wary of our ability to fix OL w draft. Beane has missed on so many high OL picks. 

I think a lot of people are hung up on Spencer Brown...but I take it a step further....what is our long term thoughts on Dawkins ? For the cost, guy was lousy and may be eating himself out of the league. 

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I agree here. Just so wary of our ability to fix OL w draft. Beane has missed on so many high OL picks. 

I think a lot of people are hung up on Spencer Brown...but I take it a step further....what is our long term thoughts on Dawkins ? For the cost, guy was lousy and may be eating himself out of the league. 

I think if we put a competent LG (Bates) next to him, Dawkins will be fine.

3 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think he's a consistently above average left tackle who was his old reliable self this season playing all 19 games.  I'm guessing the Bills are more than satisfied with contract wise as his cap hit and annual average value is 14th among left tackles.

• Agree 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:11 AM, TheBeaneBandit said:

Mine as well. Shift Bates back to LG and even draft another IOL, probably with the second round pick.

Sign Ben Powers and Dalton Risner. Bates will need to be stashed because I don't see Morse making it through a season and Bates can play anywhere. Risner can also move to RT if needed. I miss R. I.

Draft  1. Kancey DT from Pitt. Next John Randle. Settle gone.    2 C/G take your pick here.   3 Safety from Illinois. I highly doubt Hamlin will continue.  I don't think doctors will give him the green light and he probably has a lucrative career with foundation. If going through that again doesn't stick in your head, you got a big set. We will need a safety.

Maybe we can find help at LB once Edmunds leaves or roll with Klein, Bernard/Spector, Milano in a more 4-3 thing. Either way, it shouldn't take much to fill that hole.

I think there will be 3 FA signings. The Oline being the most important with maybe a vet LB.

Edited by nosejob

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Perine is a power back. He's 5-11/ 235.  Cook and Hines both are speed backs around 195.  And besides you're the one who suggested Perine a month ago in your threads and I agreed?  Now if Bijan miraculously falls to us that's a whole different story. 

His neck history is an issue. I'm also warming up to the idea of Al-Shaair. 

I think you’re mistaken, the guy I’ve been suggesting has been Foreman.  I don’t hate Perine, just prefer Foreman.  

I do think Bijan would be someone we could not pass on if he is there at 27, but I very much doubt he lasts that long.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think he's a consistently above average left tackle who was his old reliable self this season playing all 19 games.  I'm guessing the Bills are more than satisfied with contract wise as his cap hit and annual average value is 14th among left tackles.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/02/pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills-offensive-line-rankings-dion-dawkins-mitch-morse/

I don't agree. Dawkins had mediocre grades. My thoughts on the eye test was he allowed a lot more pressure this year, likely compounded by other issues on the OL. I'd think saying he was steady Eddy this year is a bit rose colored view. Additionally, I thought he looked slower and not in great shape this season. The whole line was problematic and strong data supports that. 

I'm not saying dump him. I think that's too much to take on for next year . But does his future factor into what Bills do at RT? I think it could, especially for a project LT that could replace Dawkins in 2 years or so. 

15 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/02/pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills-offensive-line-rankings-dion-dawkins-mitch-morse/

I don't agree. Dawkins had mediocre grades. My thoughts on the eye test was he allowed a lot more pressure this year, likely compounded by other issues on the OL. I'd think saying he was steady Eddy this year is a bit rose colored view. Additionally, I thought he looked slower and not in great shape this season. The whole line was problematic and strong data supports that. 

I'm not saying dump him. I think that's too much to take on for next year . But does his future factor into what Bills do at RT? I think it could, especially for a project LT that could replace Dawkins in 2 years or so. 

If you're going by PFF like the article references 2022 was his pass blocking grade was the 2nd best of his career (80.4) while his run blocking grade was the lowest of his career (60.1).  If you want to make the argument that his run blocking was worse that's fair but saying he allowed a lot more pressures is just not accurate.  We absolutely should address the tackle position though because one injury to Dawkins and you're likely looking at Quessenberry/Doyle and Brown.  Yikes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Al-Shaair - LB from SF.  Cheaper Edmunds replacement.  He can do a lot of the things Edmunds can do and has been overshadowed by two studs in SF.  A guy poised for a breakout in his next stop.  

D’onte Foreman - Be a nice compliment as a RB to Cook.  He can catch, runs with purpose and can pick up tough yards.  

Good list
I will add to that

Sheldon Rankins a cheaper player at three Tech whenever we trade it all over

I really like the running back from the lions and he seems like a culture fit guy

Another veteran pass rusher to tide us over until Von Miller gets back and make us better whenever he’s here the guy that played for the ravens last year or even Hughes if we can get him back

On 3/6/2023 at 6:20 AM, RichRiderBills said:

I’d tell Dockins that if he’d show up in shape would give him a bonus or extend him

Dion Dawkins keeps on coming in the wrong shape. It looks like an 0

On 3/4/2023 at 8:55 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I feel like Perine is more of what we already have in Cook and Hines.  I’d rather have a guy who is a tough runner in the elements.

Wouldn’t that be Perrine? The guy is a boulder in cleats

On 3/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think if we put a competent LG (Bates) next to him, Dawkins will be fine.

I also agree that this would help Dockins

Really just don’t know what happened to Roger Saffold man he used to be a stud

OG Issac Seumalo--Eagles

OG Dalton Risner--Broncos

LB Germaine Pratt--Bengals

WR DJ Chark--Lions

RB Samaje Perine--Bengals

Can we sign all of them? Maybe. I don't think these players will break the bank for us. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.