Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Granted, I'm just some guy on a couch, but I'm guessing it's his pride, and not his business acumen, that just won't allow him to accept anything less than what he's been demanding to this point.  People have been trying to make a fool of him and talk down to him, so it's an especially tough pill to swallow to put your tail between your legs and walk back to the negotiating table with a far lower $$$ demand.  Again, he could have avoided all of this by hiring an experienced agent who could give it to him straight and quickly negotiate a great deal for both parties without any loss of goodwill or a reputation hit on Jackson's part.   

No agent is getting his what he wants:  huge fully guaranteed contract.

For less than that, he doesn't need an  agent.  He just needs to pick up the phone and call the Ravens.  They are waiting.

Barring that, "people" aren't making him look foolish......

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

For less than that, he doesn't need an  agent.  He just needs to pick up the phone and call the Ravens.  They are waiting.

Lamar and his mom are people 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh? This is unintelligible 

• Shocked 1

On 4/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, Gunvald's Husse said:

Go on then, who are the 10 (or more) QBs ahead of him? I would not have him in my top 5 for sure but I am not at all sure I could pick 10+ who are better than him.

As for his MVP season, I would say that throwing for 3,127 yards with a passer rating of 113.3 and 36 TDs and rushing for 1,206 yards and 7 TDS was most definitely somthing to write home about.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely in the camp that he has handled the whole contract thing badly and I suspect that at the start of the season he will either be playing on the tag or sitting the season out as I can't see anyone paying him what he wants (and, frankly, I don't think he is worth it) but I don't get the hate on him as a QB.

1 Mahomes

2 Allen

3 Burrow

4 Rodgers

5 Hurts

6 Herbert

7 Jones

8  Prescott

9 Goff

10 Tua

10 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The 1,000 yard receiver wanted out of Baltimore, they didn't just wake up one day and say hey let's trade him away. No receiver, that's worth anything, wants to play there. Why do you think that is? And sure they don't have great receivers at the moment, but do have 1 of the best receiving TEs in the league.   

Great WRs or not doesn't fully explain his bad passing numbers over the last 2 seasons, if he's an elite QB his numbers would be far better than they have been. Maybe he should learn how to throw outside the numbers and not just over the middle of the field. There's a reason they run 3 TE sets, can't bring in or keep a good WR & had to design an offense specifically for him.

6 QBs in 2021 & 3 more in 2022 had more total tds in a single season than Lamar has combined over the last 2 years and 1 more had exactly the same number in 2021. He's not elite and has not been a top 10 QB since 2020. With almost all his passing stats ranked in the 20s, the better question right now is, is Lamar even top 15 at the moment? 

Not only this, but was literally the dudes best friend on the team. It's pretty telling

16 hours ago, Xerx said:

Lamar the passer is clearly in my eyes, why he's not getting a big deal done.

For comparison sake, take a look at these two 3 yr stretches

QB1 - 39 GP, 691-1084 (att/cmp), 7881 yds, 59TD(5%) , 29 INT (3%), 7.3 Y/A, 7.2 AY/A, 202.1 Yards per game

QB2 - 43 GP, 774-1236 (att/cmp), 8857 yds, 51TD(4%) , 16 INT (1%), 7.2 Y/A, 7.4 AY/A, 206.0 Yards per game

QB1 is last Lamar - post MVP seasons

QB2 is Tyrod - Bills years

That's eye opening to me!

lamar has been offered a massive deal.

Lamar the negotiator is why he hasn’t received absolutely unfathomable money. 

He’s passed on 10s of millions of dollars to guarantee an extra year or two but if he’s remotely a franchise qb he’s obviously not getting cut in 3 years so there’s almost no concern about getting year 5 fully guaranteed at signing.

16 hours ago, Xerx said:

QB1 - 39 GP, 691-1084 (att/cmp), 7881 yds, 59TD(5%) , 29 INT (3%), 7.3 Y/A, 7.2 AY/A, 202.1 Yards per game

QB2 - 43 GP, 774-1236 (att/cmp), 8857 yds, 51TD(4%) , 16 INT (1%), 7.2 Y/A, 7.4 AY/A, 206.0 Yards per game

Gotta steal these stats now, thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Xerx said:

Now THAT is a way to shut down all the non-sense about Lamar being a top 10 QB.

The other crazy part, he has one season with over 4K yards COMBINED, rushing/passing.  He’s a threat, but is he really that impactful?  I don’t know.  

Believe it or not, I have had internet clowns argue with me that he’s averaged 4K yards because they want to project his stats over 17 games and determine that’s what he “would have” had if he was healthy…. Wow.. just wow..   never mind that he’s had one season in 5 where he’s actually gotten (barely) 4K yards, but he “averages” it.   I’m guessing that might be his “agent” lol.

To your point, the top QBs pass for more yards than he gains combined.  If you look at the numbers, Allen actually destroys him, but then there’s ball the security argument too.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. The Ravens GM is clever. Maybe too clever. Lamar is stuck. No other team wants to go all-in on a contract offer that the Ravens could match if it’s team-friendly (you then have to start the QB search from scratch, having p’d off the incumbent), or that will cost 2 first rounders plus a ridiculously player-friendly guaranteed contract. Maybe too clever because they may get to keep an unmotivated Lamar. Do they really want that?

2. Lamar would be better off if he’d sexually harassed multiple massage therapists, not to the point of criminal liability, but to the point where he is not welcome in polite society. (Polite society does not include Cleveland) This is where we are as a culture. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Ravens signed Nelson Agholar. They’re set at receiver now. 

They also offered OBJ a contract. Either way I don't think Lamar is going to turn the corner again and put up MVP type passing stats no matter whom he throwing to. 

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. The Ravens GM is clever. Maybe too clever. Lamar is stuck. No other team wants to go all-in on a contract offer that the Ravens could match if it’s team-friendly (you then have to start the QB search from scratch, having p’d off the incumbent), or that will cost 2 first rounders plus a ridiculously player-friendly guaranteed contract. Maybe too clever because they may get to keep an unmotivated Lamar. Do they really want that?

2. Lamar would be better off if he’d sexually harassed multiple massage therapists, not to the point of criminal liability, but to the point where he is not welcome in polite society. (Polite society does not include Cleveland) This is where we are as a culture. there was another owner as stupid as Browns.

Edited by Limeaid
Corrected.
  • Haha (+1) 3

contracts signed by Kirk Cousins:

2012: standard 4-yr rookie deal
2016: $19.9M fully guaranteed
2017: $23.9M fully guaranteed
2018: $84.0M fully guaranteed
2020: $66.0M fully guaranteed
2022: $35.0M fully guaranteed

career: $231M thru 2023...

...of which $229M was fully guaranteed

career 72-63-2 (.533) as a starter

and 1 playoff win in 8 years

contracts signed by Lamar Jackson:

2018: standard 4-yr rookie deal (option exercised)
2023: tbd

comps thru first 61 starts (Lamar has started 61 games)

Lamar: 45-16 (.738)
Kirk: 27-32-2 (.459)

Lamar: 100 pass TD to 38 INT
Kirk:  105 pass TD to 53 INT

Lamar: +0.10 EPA/att, 47% success
Kirk: +0.09 EPA/att, 47% success

Lamar: 64% comp, 7.4 YPA
Kirk: 66% comp, 7.7 YPA

Lamar: 6.1 YPC, 4,298 rush yds, 23 rush TD
Kirk: 3.3 YPC, 440 rush yds, 13 rush TD

MVP’s:  Lamar: 1. Cousins: 0 

There isnt a 50 page thread on Kirk Cousins getting paid. It really hurts some of you seeing a black man get paid at QB. PAIN. 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.