Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are you Ashton Kutcher and I’m being punk’d? How is getting 260 million and 185 mil not a victory lap? How are the idiots (you’re classier than that)  who called Lamar a moron not wrong? Is that like how Bills fan try to act like Mahomes isn’t really that good but a product of their system?

Dude got his bag and the Ravens are getting  him weapons.  He hit the lottery and I’m happy for him. 

My man, he was going to get paid like that all along. And I'm THRILLED for him. I called him silly/ill-advised/whatever for holding out on that huge bag over a larger, fully guaranteed number because I wanted him to just get paid. What I said all along was "Dude needs an agent who would tell him to take the regular deal, it's good enough". Ultimately he caved and took the standard, HUGE, regular good enough deal.

Good for Lamar. He finally figured out to take the huge pile of money someone was trying to pay him.

But when discussing the business side of things, Jackson gave a lesson on exactly what not to do. Took major risks, with both his body and his rep with team mates by having to sit out the playoff game when this should have been settled already.

On 4/27/2023 at 9:28 PM, NoSaint said:

yup. Took on big risk to get less overall and maybe miss a 3rd contract 

that said, i should be so dumb as to ear 260m, so I can only mock him so much but it certainly wasn’t the optimum outcome 

That's the joke of it. Everybody's looking at it like he got this big money. That doesn't mean that he actually played this the best way.

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

Your numbers are way off and Lamar not having an agent cost him a lot of money.

Lamar has a base salary of $7.5M (not $32.5M).

As the Ravens GM (Eric Decosta) said, the contract Lamar ended up signing is basically the same contract the Ravens offered him last year and he refused. Essentially, Lamar went into free agency thinking he would be a hot commodity and quickly realized that the wasn't. So he went back to the Ravens with his tail between his legs and took the same deal they offered him last year.

Because he signed essentially the same deal he refused last year, what he did was trade a year of his career for $23M. Had he taken the deal last year, he would have earned $80M in 2022 ... instead of $23M.

He also would have have been a free agent 1 year sooner, thus resulting in another contract (and pay day) one year sooner.

Thanks for the correction. Still, not too shabby. 

20 hours ago, Einstein said:

Your numbers are way off and Lamar not having an agent cost him a lot of money.

Lamar has a base salary of $7.5M (not $32.5M).

As the Ravens GM (Eric Decosta) said, the contract Lamar ended up signing is basically the same contract the Ravens offered him last year and he refused. Essentially, Lamar went into free agency thinking he would be a hot commodity and quickly realized that the wasn't. So he went back to the Ravens with his tail between his legs and took the same deal they offered him last year.

Because he signed essentially the same deal he refused last year, what he did was trade a year of his career for $23M. Had he taken the deal last year, he would have earned $80M in 2022 ... instead of $23M.

He also would have have been a free agent 1 year sooner, thus resulting in another contract (and pay day) one year sooner.

Jackson's agent is no Einstein.  I think it is due to heredity.

Seems same issue Coach Beli-CHEAT has with P*tsie GM.

6000 yards... well, someone is going to do it. Manning wasn't that far off when he set the single season record, and that's with being taken out of games late in the season for rest and only a 16 game season. 

The AFC is full of good QBs who will need to find a way into the playoffs. The way 6000 happens is a good QB on a contending team that has to go full-bore all 17 games to get into the playoffs. 

Normally I would say no way because anyone who has thrown for 5700+ is probably on a team with a great record and would sit week 17.  But with the AFC the way it is, it's not crazy to think that someone like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, or Jackson would need to play all 4 quarters of all 17 games just to make the wild card. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm happy Lamar finally decided to sign essentially the same contract he was offered last year.  He was never going to get a fully guaranteed contract.  I still don't think he is that great of a passer.  The new weapons will help but I don't think he is going to succeed as an elite passer.  We shall see how he does in a new system without Roman.  Maybe he proves me wrong.

The Browns & the Ravens will go down in NFL history for paying the most money ever spent for two starting QB's that will never even sniff a AFC championship game, much less a super bowl, for the remainder of their careers in the NFL. 

They both were not even in the top 8 Quarterback conversation thread on this message board, and they are both seriously over rated.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 2:46 PM, TheFunPolice said:

6000 yards... well, someone is going to do it. Manning wasn't that far off when he set the single season record, and that's with being taken out of games late in the season for rest and only a 16 game season. 

The AFC is full of good QBs who will need to find a way into the playoffs. The way 6000 happens is a good QB on a contending team that has to go full-bore all 17 games to get into the playoffs. 

Normally I would say no way because anyone who has thrown for 5700+ is probably on a team with a great record and would sit week 17.  But with the AFC the way it is, it's not crazy to think that someone like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, or Jackson would need to play all 4 quarters of all 17 games just to make the wild card. 

that would be averaging 352 per game, a big nut to crack, but doable...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.