Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I know Lamar has definitely dropped the ball in several ways. But I never get why people get worked up over negotiating. He hasn’t missed a game and it’s the end result that matters. If he ends up getting his money or close to it, what did this really effect?

Nothing really, but I think most feel he has overplayed his hand. Its really an interesting look into NFL contracts and how teams operate. Lamar is an incredible player, and I'm sure he will make a lot of money in his career. But IMO this situation has not been handled well on his part 

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I know Lamar has definitely dropped the ball in several ways. But I never get why people get worked up over negotiating. He hasn’t missed a game and it’s the end result that matters. If he ends up getting his money or close to it, what did this really effect?

?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

"Hey man come to Baltimore where we'll win a super bowl, but I also have to let you know I want out of Baltimore "

Something about this report doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Either that or the whole Lamar not happy thing has been made more than what it is.

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

?

I meant for the upcoming season. 

37 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

"Hey man come to Baltimore where we'll win a super bowl, but I also have to let you know I want out of Baltimore "

Something about this report doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Either that or the whole Lamar not happy thing has been made more than what it is.

It’s all negotiations.  He doesn’t want to leave and the Ravens don’t want to lose him.  I get both sides. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I meant for the upcoming season.

Well of course not, they haven't played it yet.  But getting injured the last 1/3 of the past 2 seasons and missing the first playoff game is a huge red flag, especially for a player who runs so much and thus has a higher chance of getting injured.

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lamar is not a good passer and OBJ is washed. That's a lot of money to spend for a team that is hoping to sneak into a wildcard spot.

Interested to see what happens with Lamar's contract now. If he's under the tag does he skip the entire preseason and then show up out of shape and out of sync with the offense? This could be a disaster for everyone involved

If no long term contract met (which I doubt will) than Lamar signs the franchise tender to play the season and prove his doubters wrong. He proves them right as gets injured again and struggles in a more traditional offense and the Ravens see him leave as an UFA in 2024 meanwhile they drafted his successor in this draft when they draft Hendon Hooker in a trade up. 

Edited by The Jokeman

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I know Lamar has definitely dropped the ball in several ways. But I never get why people get worked up over negotiating. He hasn’t missed a game and it’s the end result that matters. If he ends up getting his money or close to it, what did this really affect?

People are really taking this personally.  It’s as if a man they’ll never meet who has never played for a team they cheer for is personally insulting them by not agreeing to an offer right away.  There’s no rational explanation for it.

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If no long term contract met (which I doubt will) than Lamar signs the franchise tender to play the season and prove his doubters wrong. He proves them right as gets injured again and struggles in a more traditional offense and the Ravens see him leave as an UFA in 2024 meanwhile they drafted his successor in this draft when they draft Hendon Hooker in a trade up. 

So they’re going to let a 26 year old QB walk and draft a 25 year old QB?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Demonstrates poor leadership. Not understanding his market. Taking negatively about the team that was the only one to take him in the first round. They believed in him and built a unique O around him. His repayment is to seek an unreasonable contract. So even if he comes back the relationship has been hurt. OBJ for one year at silly $ really should make no difference to Lamar as his long term may not benefit from having him one year. 

• Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

They had money for Lamar too, just not the money/conditions he demanded.

Well they offered him 6 years $ 175m and total of $290m.. seems they have the $ and offered it to him. The OBJ contract is beyond foolish! But the Lamar offer that he turned down is worse. 

On 2/23/2023 at 3:19 PM, Billl said:

I always find it incredible that people on message boards always think they know better than the actual players when it comes to those players’ finances.

Well right now pretty much anyone has a better idea than what Lamar is doing. He will never regain the $ he’s lost. So it’s incredible that that you think it’s incredible 😂 

31 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Well right now pretty much anyone has a better idea than what Lamar is doing. He will never regain the $ he’s lost. So it’s incredible that that you think it’s incredible 😂 

What money has he lost?

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

It's a negotiation. We won't know until it's over. Can you show us the path in which you feel this has increased his value? 

Yeah, I’m afraid that does not quickly come to mind. He does not come off well, and THAT is why you have agents. They don’t take it personally, they will tell you the truth, and help you see the light. Lamar could probably make up the difference in endorsements if he didn’t appear to be petulant. The man deserves professional representation. I hope he gets it.

Regardless, he’ll be set for life. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Billl said:

What money has he lost?

The money he would have made if he signed in 2021.

”Jackson was eligible for a new contract in 2021. He instead earned $1.77 million that year. Last year, under the fifth-year option, he made $23 million. That’s $24.77 million total over the last two years.

Just look at Josh Allen. Even at the maximum allowed rate of three percent, he has received $64.214 million over the last two years. Jackson has received 100 percent of $24.77 million.“

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/11/will-lamar-jackson-hire-an-agent-now-probably-not/amp/

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

It's a negotiation. We won't know until it's over. Can you show us the path in which you feel this has increased his value? 

I’m not claiming he has.  The statement I responded to was claiming he’d never recoup the money he’d lost when the reality is that he hasn’t lost a dime.  

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Billl said:

What money has he lost?

By not signing a similar contract to JA at the same time Josh did. It has cost him between $30-40M through this year. Assuming he signs for only the $32M and not a long term context. Numerous people have articles or podcasts on it. JA  has earned $85M while Lamar has earned around $55M give or take as stated above. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.