Anyone follow or watch NBA basketball games?

Another Fan

Obviously the Sabres would be popular on this site.  But I see threads here as well that discuss the Yankees, Mets, baseball in general, and college hoops.  Not so much for the NBA though.

In the 90s I was a big basketball fan, 2000-2010 I wasn’t a fan but still knew what was going on, since then for the most part I could care less.  I was happy when the Cavs won in 2016 but that’s about it.

Among many reasons the game revolving around the 3 point shot is kind of a turnoff to me.  I would add I just saw what the Phoenix Suns jerseys look like these days….  they are ugly.  The Valley??

Edited by Another Fan

Loved the NBA in the 90s....quit watching after the Jordan Bulls era ended almost immediately but got back into it again for a little bit around 2010-2016.  Completely lost interest again and haven't watched at all the last few years.  I'm sad I missed out on the 80s NBA though, that era looked fantastic.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Loved the NBA in the 90s....quit watching after the Jordan Bulls era ended almost immediately but got back into it again for a little bit around 2010-2016.  Completely lost interest again and haven't watched at all the last few years.  I'm sad I missed out on the 80s NBA though, that era looked fantastic.  

I also lost interest after the Jordan Bulls. Tried again when Jordan came back but couldn’t get into it. Went to my first nba game in November. I think I might have payed attention to 5 mins total.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Auto correct thought Jordan played for Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm into it more now than ever before in my life, but I'd still consider myself a casual fan at best. I dont have a specific team, or even favorite player.  But I really like how the league is run in general, as it pertains to player behavior, fairness to players, etc, so I started watching.

Almost easier without having a team, same way I watch College Football. Dont have to live or die with a performance and can tune in and out as I want.

I like that there is a must-see star on pretty much every team, so I can put on whatever random game is on and see someone doing something interesting.

Big Braves fan in 70's. Dad had season tix. Randy Smith was my guy. After they left, I loved the Bird, Magic and Jordan era. Latched on to Utah Jazz with Karl Malone and Stockton but lost interest after that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The NBA is brutally boring, IMO.  It’s a sport that has been completely neutered in terms of defense and physicality.  Like every game is an all-star game.  I was a 76ers fan back in the day.  I couldn’t name a single player on the roster today.  Thank goodness for hockey.

I always did want to sit in one of the first 20 rows back from the court for a pro game.  I think it was 2014 but since the Sixers were dead last that year I was able to buy some seats of the secondary market for considerably cheap.  Was actually kinda cool.  Ticket costs today I’d never have an interest any more.  

Will Smith was actually there that night for 1/2 the game.  Front row of course 

But yeah Allen Iverson was probably the last player I was a fan of 

NBA has been up and down for me. I was a huge fan in the 80s and 90s. Then really tailed off in the 2000s and 2010s.

Part of the issue was the rise of foreign players and college one and doners. Add to that the rise of very random niche roll players. I just didn’t know any of these players, like I used to know the guys who were college stars. 

I started getting back into the NBA though about 5 years ago (especially the west teams), as the game is fun and wide open and there are a lot of stars. It is actually now better than college, since college ball feels like it has really tailed off (esp with the new transfer rules and NIL). 

Watching a complete NBA game has always been a challenge; however, I often watch the last quarter or, if necessary, OT. Being German, my favorite NBA team was Nowitzki's Dallas Mavericks. There had been German NBA players before (e.g. Seattle's Detlef Schrempf), but none reached Dirk's status. After Dirk's retirement, I stuck with the Mavericks, and it looks as if they have found their next superstar in Luka Doncic. An interesting question: What will be first, an NBA championship for Doncic or a SuperBowl for Josh?  

Edited by DrW

4 hours ago, dhg said:

Big Braves fan in 70's. Dad had season tix. Randy Smith was my guy. After they left, I loved the Bird, Magic and Jordan era. Latched on to Utah Jazz with Karl Malone and Stockton but lost interest after that. 

We split season tix to the Braves. My sister used to babysit Bob Kauffman’s kid. Loved them back then. Enjoyed the Bird/Magic years, and the Jordan years. That was fun. 

We would promise to take the kids to an NBA game at times when traveling. “It’s Lebron playing the Celtics tonight. Play your cards right and we will go, but you have to behave.” It actually worked sometimes. 

Then there was that weeknight in Charlotte. The younger son was a tough little AAU point guard. We probably had $800 into taking them to a Hornets game. About 3 minutes in my son turned to me and said “they’re not even trying!” Yep! Last time I ever paid to attend, and I was relieved. 

Now? I don’t even watch the Finals. I just do not care. When Cowherd or somebody else even talks NBA, I change the channel. It’s that simple. 

I still love college hoops and follow Xavier and the Big East pretty closely. They care and they try. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrW said:

Watching a complete NBA game has always been a challenge; however, I often watch the last quarter or, if necessary, OT. Being German, my favorite NBA team was Nowitzki's Dallas Mavericks. There had been German NBA players before (e.g. Seattle's Detlef Schrempf), but none reached Dirk's status. After Dirk's retirement, I stuck with the Mavericks, and it looks as if they have found their next superstar in Luka Doncic. An interesting question: What will be first, an NBA championship for Doncic or a SuperBowl for Josh?  

Where from in Germany? 

Like baseball, it's a long season, and a LOT of games.  Each individual one doesn't seem quite as important. Football is so different that way - every single game matters.

But I like watching, especially now when there isn't much else going on. And it's always fun when the playoffs kick in - the atmosphere is always great, and the games can be exciting.

I watch most Knicks games these days. They have a fun team this year.

Absolutely love the NBA right now.  They've had a wealth of young talent come into the league the last 4-5 years and its been a blast to watch.

I am a huge Luka guy.  I know most people hate the whining but just like his game a ton.    That said, I watch as much Dallas Mavericks as I can.   

Edited by thenorthremembers

13 hours ago, Success said:

Like baseball, it's a long season, and a LOT of games.  Each individual one doesn't seem quite as important. Football is so different that way - every single game matters.

But I like watching, especially now when there isn't much else going on. And it's always fun when the playoffs kick in - the atmosphere is always great, and the games can be exciting.

I watch most Knicks games these days. They have a fun team this year.

Since you still watch the games how is the broadcast?  Walt Frazier and John Andariese back in the day were good together 

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Since you still watch the games how is the broadcast?  Walt Frazier and John Andariese back in the day were good together 

It's Frazier & Breen - they're fantastic. I love listening to Walt; he is the most unique commentator w/ all of the phrases he comes up w/.

I love that the team is finally good for Frazier's sake. He has slogged through so many bad seasons, it has to be fun for him to call games for a team that's in the mix.

• Like (+1) 1

I fell off after the Jordan years, watched a little of dirk and Mavs years and rooted against lebron after he left for Miami, then fell off again. It’s hard for me to get into the game when they don’t seem to try in the regular season.

My fav player right now is prob Steph curry

Edited by Bray Wyatt

On 2/20/2023 at 12:47 PM, Another Fan said:

Obviously the Sabres would be popular on this site.  But I see threads here as well that discuss the Yankees, Mets, baseball in general, and college hoops.  Not so much for the NBA though.

In the 90s I was a big basketball fan, 2000-2010 I wasn’t a fan but still knew what was going on, since then for the most part I could care less.  I was happy when the Cavs won in 2016 but that’s about it.

Among many reasons the game revolving around the 3 point shot is kind of a turnoff to me.  I would add I just saw what the Phoenix Suns jerseys look like these days….  they are ugly.  The Valley??

I follow the NBA since 1975 as a Buffalo Braves fan to this day as a Los Angeles Clippers fan. I am excited the Clippers are finally getting an arena built just for them which looks really nice going up I follow the progress on YouTube. Buffalo NBA basketball fans are hardcore like myself tend to be older if I had to guess. I am 55 years old that grew up in Buffalo with both a NBA and NHL franchise. So I don’t how many old Buffalo sports fans are online with there phones and internet old enough to remember the Buffalo Braves and talk NBA basketball today. As for the Valley Jersey there fine they get some of the Phoenix Suns fans excited more power to the Phoenix Suns in my opinion. Go Braves-Clippers! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/20/2023 at 12:47 PM, Another Fan said:

I follow the NBA since 1975 as a Buffalo Braves fan to this day as a Los Angeles Clippers fan. I am excited the Clippers are finally getting an arena built just for them which looks really nice going up I follow the progress on YouTube. Buffalo NBA basketball fans are hardcore like myself tend to be older if I had to guess. I am 55 years old that grew up in Buffalo with both a NBA and NHL franchise. So I don’t how many old Buffalo sports fans are online with there phones and internet old enough to remember the Buffalo Braves and talk NBA basketball today. As for the Valley Jersey there fine they get some of the Phoenix Suns fans excited more power to the Phoenix Suns in my opinion. Go Braves-Clippers! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Long time Spurs fan through famine, feast and famine once again.  

Like the Bills, I follow the team, not the league.    

The game has gotten slower with a lot more jogging up/down the court and heaving up 3 pointers.  I loathe that players can force trades like they do.

Like the NFL, it'd be a better product with less teams.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.