Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If you even hear Goodell's mouth start to say, "WIth the 27th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

Defensive,...

Linebacker,...

Cornerback,...

Safety,....

This place is going to spontaneously combust.

Me included ha

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, todd said:

No GM is going to throw anyone under the bus at a press conference. I think inside the walls they know they have a ton of stuff to shore up. McDermott suggested that in his presser. 

people here are pissed he’s not screaming and stomping his feet in a press conference. Nor is he going to go into details on plans for improvement. Last year he said there probably would t be big fa signings. Then they signed Bon.

Calling bullchit on this….I didn’t see Jon Bon Jovi play one snap this year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

What he's actually saying, whether he knows it or not, is that the changes most would like to see will likely happen only a year from now after an inevitably uninspiring season. Unless Pegs pulls on his big boy pants and makes some executive decisions, however unlikely.

Yup. They’re all going to be gone after next season. Yay!

This team didn’t play a complete game all season. This is a badly coached and badly run football team.

Edited by Governor

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If you even hear Goodell's mouth start to say, "WIth the 27th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

Defensive,...

Linebacker,...

Cornerback,...

Safety,....

If he takes a defensive lineman or corner this site might crash for good  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

I don’t remember which playmakers were available in that draft. Do you, or anyone off the top of their head? 
i just recall a need to beef up the defense, or at least that was the rally cry and Big Ed was a huge prospect. 

AJ Brown and DK Metcalf were taken after Cody Ford in that draft. But a lot of teams messed that up, including the Chiefs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I found it interesting (just listened to the whole thing now) that the GM of the team just publicly said that this team was not operating where it wanted to be for half of the damned season.

That's a problem!  You might want to have a look at your OC, Brandon!

We know the QB is unlikely to be improved any time soon!

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

AJ Brown and DK Metcalf were taken after Cody Ford in that draft. But a lot of teams messed that up, including the Chiefs.

TJ Hockensen was selected right before Oliver or he may have been the pick. Beane missed badly on trading up to get Ford. I think he believed he was a can’t miss pick. Not hitting on Ford, Moss, AJE, Boogie and Bernard in the 2nd and 3rd rounds have hurt. Even if he hit on two of those, they’d be in a better position. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

When you talk about Brown, Hines, Bernard, the DL, and how tough it looked for this team to just play football for half the year so much of it comes down missing on a number of drafts in a row and poor cap allocation.

He said “we have to nail this draft” he knows he hasn’t every nailed his top 100 picks and his time is likely coming near. 

Yeah...the Cincinnati loss and a less than ideal end to the season the last 2 years happens when your off-season reviews are flawed.  Which leads to bad personnel priorities and decisions.   

Spending big on UFA and some extensions covered up that they weren't drafting and developing enough of their own players who could provide solid play at lower cost.  Players who could step in to give them room.

It's why the talk of extending Edmunds is pure madness at 10M+ season with protection and WR depth issues.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Defensive,...

Linebacker,...

Cornerback,...

Safety,....

It better be WR

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It better be WR

I'm with you 100% there, but Beane didn't give me any warm and fuzzies the way he was talking about Gabe today.  Seems like they're still of the opinion Gabe is going to start acting like a true #2 any day now.

Interesting that Beane did a bit of talking about how “lucky” Cincinnati was to get good by being bad and rookie contacts.

…but didn’t mention KC with a QB on his second contract. They also have $15M in space for 2023 and $106M for 2024. 

So when he says Cincinnatti got lucky, what he really means is “please don’t pay attention to our peers” 

EDIT: For reference, the Bills are estimated at -$5M and $19M the next two years. Unless KC starts making some major personnel blunders, we’re likely losing a lot of ground. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

If they just run it back it won’t be worth wasting Sundays on next fall. Sure they can win a lot of games but the season will have the same ending.

That’s where I’m at

if things don’t change…idk how you can have a different result

they won’t do it but nothing McDermott does gives me hope he can coach this team and steer them to a championship

yes great season winning percentage - awesome

still the laughing stock and choke artists we have always been

cinci or KC lose another Super Bowl May make me feel better - but fact remains we are behind now

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I wonder what happened to the years when we had the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract...oh that's right Beane and McDermott couldn't get it done then either.

Brings me to this point: 

- Philosophy on drafting WRs later in the draft.  "We got Stef Diggs in the 1st Round."   No philosophy, if Jamar Chase was there we'd take him in a minute.

You passed on DK Metcalf when this team desperately needed a receiver.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.