Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

Someone said it before, but it feels like they had almost lost the enjoyment of playing football - and this was before Hamlin’s collapse. In the last two years it was fun watching the Bills and they seemed to be having fun on the field. This year felt attritional, one game at a time, oh it’s a win, hooray, oh it’s a loss, boo, move on. Next game. Particularly, and I don’t know why this is the case, after the bye. It’s as though they had momentum and lost it during that break, never to return. Everything felt difficult, nothing came simple, and every single player, for the most part, didn’t play to the best of their ability.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Process said:

Earlier in the year Josh was running guys over and getting up laughing in their face. We haven't seen that guy in a while. 

Something has been off with this team for two months now.

It's called ***** coaching. They all know this team is run by halfwit smoothbrains 

14 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

It's not like the dude stayed home hiding under his ***** bed and refused to play.  He showed up.  Didn't do well.  Did you do your best work this year?  If not you better check yourself for being weak. 

Says the self proclaimed beef curtain. 

Thanks for illustrating my point. These guys are fine tuned athletes . They do this for a living. To say we were gassed is just an excuse. If I told my Boss I was just tired at my job I’d get fired for not producing. So would you. You want to know why? Because life is about production. This team wants to go out and lay down after all of the adversity they fought through just to crap the bed? I bet every one of those players wants that game back. I don’t know if you’ve ever played sports but this will eat at them big time if they are competitive. There’s nothing worse than going out and losing because you didn’t try your best. It’s the worst feeling in the world. If they lost 100 to nothing and gave everything they had no one would say a word. That’s not what happened. When the smoke clears in a week they will regret this game.

OR maybe they don’t and are ok with what happened.  In which case they entire coaching staff needs to be fired because sports teams need to have a championship mentality. The Bills clearly Didn’t .

Edited by BeefCurtns
  • Like (+1) 1

Out of gas, WTF? 

it’s a one hour game that takes four plus hours to complete. On average for every one ish minutes of play there is something around ten minutes plus of rest, what a bunch of BS. Are all these guys well past their prime? Saffold certainly is,

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Thanks for illustrating my point. These guys are fine tuned athletes . They do this for a living. To say we were gassed is just an excuse. If I told my Boss I was just tired at my job I’d get fired for not producing. So would you. You want to know why? Because life is about production. This team wants to go out and lay down after all of the adversity they fought through just to crap the bed? I bet every one of those players wants that game back. I don’t know if you’ve ever played sports but this will eat at them big time if they are competitive. There’s nothing worse than going out and losing because you didn’t try your best. It’s the worst feeling in the world. If they lost 100 to nothing and gave everything they had no one would say a word. That’s not what happened. When the smoke clears in a week they will regret this game.

OR maybe they don’t and are ok with what happened.  In which case they entire coaching staff needs to be fired because sports teams need to have a championship mentality. The Bills clearly Didn’t .

Very well said. I’m guessing Coach McD is okay with the latter take away. 

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Someone said it before, but it feels like they had almost lost the enjoyment of playing football - and this was before Hamlin’s collapse. In the last two years it was fun watching the Bills and they seemed to be having fun on the field. This year felt attritional, one game at a time, oh it’s a win, hooray, oh it’s a loss, boo, move on. Next game. Particularly, and I don’t know why this is the case, after the bye. It’s as though they had momentum and lost it during that break, never to return. Everything felt difficult, nothing came simple, and every single player, for the most part, didn’t play to the best of their ability.

It’s coaching, it’s the players knowing full well that they are not being put in a position to succeed. Just look at what Frazier does..,, just look at what Dorsey does…, and the powers that be, Beane & McDermott don’t see it. So how will it change? 

I started a thread yesterday stating the same thing and I do think it is important to have perspective on this.  Josh is an emotional leader and him being down makes a huge difference.  Having said that a good portion of the team played the way they have all year.  We found out how bad a non-pressure defense could be when we don't have anyone on the backend with Poyer, Hamlin and Hyde out for good parts of it.  I want to say also some guys it was obvious they were completely done, Poyer, Allen and to an extent Dawkins looked done.  With Miller and Hyde already out I think they didn't stand a chance. 

4 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Such a over simplified Hallmark response.  Yeah they dont have the same winning mentality that you bring to your job.  Thanks for the lecture curtns. 

As mad as we are, this is their careers.

So much work, from May until January, all down the drain because they couldn't muster up the energy to compete in the Divisional Round with a realistic shot at the Super Bowl?

OK. Hey, it is what it is. Like I said, it's their careers. 

Spare me the "Super Bowl favorites!" talk all next season. I don't GAF if they are 10-0 at one point. The whole POINT is to get to January football. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 4

The beat down on Sunday gave me pause to think more about the cancelled MNF game.  It was widely reported in the week that followed that it was A) difficult to find a slot to complete the MNF game and B) the Bills preference was to put that game behind them, and move forward....Adam Shefter said that team/league officials felt there was "bad mojo" associated with that game.  So the league was going to lean in whatever direction the Bills wanted to go.  Obviously The Bills wanted to leave the MNF game behind.  

Was that the start of the team moving from deep emotional concern for a teammate to maybe football isn't all that important?  I don't know.  Part of me thinks that if they completed that MNF game in "week 19"  it could have resulted in the Bills getting blown out.  In which case they would have played the Divisional (if they made it in Cincy)..and maybe would have learned better what it took to beat the Bengals.  

9 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Yep.  It was almost as if the Chiefs game was the Bills' Super Bowl.  All of the good vibes, confidence, energy were building towards that moment, and then with Josh leading that late comeback and Von and our secondary sealing the win and confirming we had made all the right moves to get us over the top of the Chiefs' mountain, we were absolutely on cloud 9 as a team and fanbase, getting tons of love and respect from the national media.  We'd get our one week break and then it would be a simple 14 game cakewalk towards our coronation as SB champs.  But then our focus began to wane, sloppiness creeped in, injuries piled up and what was supposed to be a joyous 14 game gallop towards a Lombardi became a joyless slog of just getting to the finish line of the regular season, by which point we had numerous glaring issues in our coaching, execution and personnel availability.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:25 AM, Success said:

It was pretty easy to see.

I've gotta give 'em a pass on that. They're human beings.  Buffalo has been to hell & back over the past year.

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, I appreciate these guys are humans with human frailties and emotions.  There was a lot going on this season.  

On the other hand, as an old soldier, I can't stand the out-of-gas mentality.  If a soldier told me that, he'd be out of my unit in a hurry.  When there's a battle to be fought, you fight with everything you have.  You do it for a lot of reasons but mostly for the love you have for your brothers (and sisters).  I wouldn't want to go to war with anyone who's going to let out-of-gas considerations enter their mind.   Deal with your feelings after the battle.  Before the fight - during the fight - it's full throttle.  That's how warriors think and behave.  

Despite my efforts to be a compassionate, understanding person, I have to admit I'm disappointed to hear the out-of-gas sentiments coming from the Bills locker room.  

• Like (+1) 1

This was a strange season. It was pretty clear they were out of gas Sunday. 

The injury bug decimated them this year. And those are just the injuries we know about. Who knows how many guys were out there playing thru stuff. I believe every opening day defensive starter missed at least one game this year. 

A blizzard rolled thru town and cost them a home game. Then three games in 12 days. Von Miller done for the year. Damar Hamlin drops dead on the field. Game gets cancelled. Team is rattled after nearly losing a brother.

It is what it is...just doesn't work out the way we want sometimes. I feel bad for us fans. I mean, I feel bad for the players as well but not too bad. I mean, most of them are leaving the stadium in really nice cars taking them to really nice houses with families and fat bank accounts. (yes I know a practice squad guy might not be making mad bank but he's doing a lot better than most of us). 

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This was a strange season. It was pretty clear they were out of gas Sunday. 

The injury bug decimated them this year. And those are just the injuries we know about. Who knows how many guys were out there playing thru stuff. I believe every opening day defensive starter missed at least one game this year. 

A blizzard rolled thru town and cost them a home game. Then three games in 12 days. Von Miller done for the year. Damar Hamlin drops dead on the field. Game gets cancelled. Team is rattled after nearly losing a brother.

It is what it is...just doesn't work out the way we want sometimes. I feel bad for us fans. I mean, I feel bad for the players as well but not too bad. I mean, most of them are leaving the stadium in really nice cars taking them to really nice houses with families and fat bank accounts. (yes I know a practice squad guy might not be making mad bank but he's doing a lot better than most of us). 

I really wish people would stop saying this

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.