Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

On 1/25/2023 at 4:05 AM, BobbyC81 said:

Since Frazier’s contract now ends, they don’t have to do anything but hope he just goes away.

After he checks with Beane on the status of a new contract for a few weeks, he might get the message.  Then they just announce that they mutually agreed to part ways.

I really hope this is the case. I'm a little worried that Beane will make 2 mistakes with this.  1. He will value loyalty more than logic with Frazier. 2. He will see all the pressure from Fans and the Media and assume they don't know what they are talking about and give Frazier a 2nd chance.  Too many times with the NFL and the Bills especially, you see curious decisions made by GMs or coaches because they are either not too bright, cant think on their feet, are based on emotion (like loyalty or religious belief) or just to be contrary to fans/media (and show that you cant be pressured).  I hope that Beane can detach himself from this tendency when he decides on Frazier. Many times this season, I think the fans on this site have been more correct in their coaching or player personnel decisions than Beane and the coaches.  Which in such a big money league is bizarre.  Frazier (and Dorsey to a lesser extent) failed hugely last Sunday. Dorsey I can maybe understand but Frazier should be put out to pasture for his incompetence.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/23/2023 at 11:45 PM, HappyDays said:

I think it was less fun because the regular season was just a waiting game.

To be honest, I thought part of the Bills problem as a team was that the regular season became just a waiting game for them.  Instead of, as most of them do, just going out there to enjoy playing football and try in every way to get better and better every week. 

I thought it became a chore.  And as a chore, football will absolutely grind guys down.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:45 PM, HappyDays said:

I respect the fans that want to give the team a break after all the adversity they went through. But honestly the biggest problem in this playoff loss is the same it's been for 4 straight years now - our opponent had more game changing talents on the field than we did. Allen and Diggs are the only guys that step up and make plays outside of the scheme on either side of the ball. It has been a problem all year long. To be fair Von Miller was that guy. But the other contenders have guys like that all over the field on offense and defense. I think if the team ran out of gas it's because there aren't enough top tier players carrying the load for their teammates, the way that a Nick Bosa and a George Kittle and a Christian McCaffrey and a Deebo Samuel do. I think Allen after 5 years of singlehandedly dragging this franchise into relevancy finally started to feel all the bumps and bruises at the end of the season. Diggs exploded in a way we haven't seen since he demanded his way out of Minnesota. That's not a matter of too much adversity, it's a matter of too much being put on just a couple of guys in a sport that requires 4 or 5 elite guys to carry a team to the top of the mountain.

At first, I wanted to disagree with this, and to an extent I do.  I saw "plays outside of the scheme" made on offense - I've seen Morris, Knox, Davis, yes McKenzie, even Shakir, realize that the play has broken down and make that off-schedule play.   IMO, a big part of the Bills problem is not making enough plays ON schedule.  The on time, on target throw to the receiver who is open underneath and has YAC opportunities.  I fundamentally agree with something Kurt Warner said, which I know was controversial to many here but perhaps the end of the season helps put it in perspective.  He wants Allen to get better about recognizing and taking the on-schedule play the defense gives them.  His point is, the Bills were winning all season with Allen making 10-15 elite "special player" plays every game, but that's a hard thing to sustain especially against the best teams, and that if Allen would trust the team to make plays for him and take some of those easy, on schedule plays then make 4 or 5 elite plays per game, the team overall would play better.  There's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy here

On the other hand, after a few sleeps on it, I think you do have a very valid point that the Bills just don't have the same number of elite players on their team that some of these other teams do - the Chase PLUS Higgins PLUS Boyd, the AJ Brown PLUS DaVonte Smith PLUS Sanders, the Kittle PLUS McCaffery PLUS Samuel PLUS Aiyuk.

But then again, I come back and ask myself how much of their success is due to having a QB who is a bit less of a unicorn and a bit better at reading the D and distributing the ball in a timely efficient way.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Many times this season, I think the fans on this site have been more correct in their coaching or player personnel decisions than Beane and the coaches.  Which in such a big money league is bizarre.

I don't really think it's that bizarre. It's not brain surgery or rocket science out there. It is not surprising that fans who have been watching the NFL for decades, AND paying close attention, are very knowledgeable about the topics you cite above.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:23 PM, Einstein said:

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

Several thoughts here ...

First, this is somewhat insulting to the average Joe/Josephine that has to get up everyday and slog to work just to put food on the table or pay the rent/mortgage.  If they run out of gas, too bad, they have to do it anyway.  Maybe they have two jobs, single parent, etc.  Often very hard work or in the cold or dangerous as well.  etc. 

Secondly, these guys get off paid way too much to not show up like they did, regardless of circumstances.  If it's that bad, at least tell the fans so that we get the memo too, as part of the equation.  Maybe instead of sitting in the cold trying to cheer our brains out for a car in a race that's on blocks, we'd have preferred to do something else with OUR time & resources.  

Ticket prices are exorbitant this season for our region.  I don't see any coordinated effort by the players with bigger contacts to pool together to offer refunds.  Pegula's sure as hell not going to, nor the NFL.  

Lastly, this STILL doesn't explain the idiotic play-calling.  A good coach should be able to sleepwalk through a game plan.  Putting your zombied players in the best alignments to succeed is better than putting them in the worst, all but guaranteeing failure.  This is arguably the biggest problem here.   

I'm sure that this wouldn't have been the first time that an exhausted team went out, did their jobs, and won.  

It was 17 points, not 30-some.  

The owners, coaches, and players treat it like a business, but for some reason we as fans aren't allowed to treat it the same.  This whole thing would be fine if admission were free, but it isn't, to the contrary in fact, admission is more expensive than it's ever been.  

Our fans have been incredibly sympathetic to all of the things going on, including some providing transportation during the blizzard s, etc.  Sympathy& understanding can be communicated freely via cards, e-mails, donations, etc.  But for fans to pay what we've had to pay this season for the slop, LED BY NON-PHYSICAL c coaching, that we saw last Sunday doesn't cut the Weber's.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good Morning everybody. There is a good reason I waited a week to enter this thread. The OP even title  hard to read and face any  earlier. Such an ugly loss.

There is not much  else I could add that hasn't already been mentioned. 

I will say what an absolute clusterduck CRAZY in some good AND some bad ways in 2022 . I think physical and psychological trauma takes its toll. They are Not machines after all. 

Go Sabres.. 👍 they are playing great right now just sayin'

m

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pasaluki said:

I guess I get it. 

Them not playing well was a huge missed opportunity. I really believed this team really could have been something special but they couldn't overcome the adversity and they played small.

They didn't play to their best ability, and the primary, by a country mile, reason for them not doing so, was coaching. 

So what's their "solution" for the future?  I guess that firing the distant coach that had the greatest number of injuries in his unit, and his two starters, of two, was that solution.  I guess if they had fired one of the assistants to the assistant regional manager would have been too obvious.  

I mean really, a show of hands as to who thinks that this one firing will change anything whatsoever?  I doubt that even one hand goes up.  

Talk about denial and a lack of willingness to do their jobs, ... McBeane. 

• Agree 1

I'm sorry if anyone is overly sensitive but I'm embarrassed to hear this from a long-term, well-paid veteran. Perhaps he could have used his veteran status to rally the troops. Good riddance...

On 1/23/2023 at 12:31 PM, jhh9327 said:

You really think this team beats Cinci if this game happened two months ago?  I honestly don't.  I'm not saying the emotional toll didn't play any factor yesterday, but this was a flawed team that has been showing those flaws for quite a while and Cinci is designed well to take advantage of those. 

In the first quarter,before Hamlin got hurt, Bengals were having their way against the Bills and think it would have been a similar outcome as the eventual rematch.

Somebody higher up than the Safety Coach needs to be held accountable. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Cut. GTFOH. You're a professional football player in a divisional playoff game at home. 

Your crowd ain't out of money to blow on your garbage effort. 

I imagine some "fans"  think others are insensitive in  light of events that " are larger than football" .

I'm sorry for everything that befell this team but they still have to give 100%. If they were physically "tired " then it was on the coaches to figure out how to prepare and motivate this team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:36 PM, somnus00 said:

I'm hoping Doyle pushes Brown for the RT spot. But we need an influx of young cheap talent on the oline via the top 3 rounds of the draft.  draft.

Oline is the safest position to select in the first round (in terms of the rate of busts).

If the value is right, a guard at 27 would be an excellent place to start.  A center in the mid-rounds to develop for a year as the eventual replacement for Morse would also work out nicely.

Time in the pocket puts pressure on defensive backs.  Even mediocre WRs can get open against top tier DBs after a few seconds, and a good pass rush nullifies the best WRs in the game when the QB can't get the ball to them in time.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:40 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ohh they will, and we'll be left with pieces of what once was... they went through a TON of crap this season and they aren't robots. Garbage take.

No THIS is a garbage take. Bills were sleep walking through the Bengals game and there should be no excuses. Suck it up, Saffold.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have to agree.

What about all the chatter about Frazier deserves a HC job blah blah blah?  Where is that now?  

As someone else mentioned I think we get a 3rd rnd pick if some team grabs him which would be a win- win for the Bills.

I don't think anybody hires Frazier. He is an old defensive coach and that's not what teams are looking for in a head coach. I dont think the Bills dare fire him with all the affirmative action guidelines.

If the D is going to get "fixed" McDermott has to put his freaking foot down on Frazier and wake him up 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/28/2023 at 3:18 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes. Because the occupational hazards are real. Most will be out of the game in a few years, but the effects of the game will linger on for many as a detriment to themselves and others in society.  That's the big thing. They are damaged and then sent back into society broken.   Sound familar?

ok, so you are arguing for a ban on football then, or maybe we just make it flag, right?

you have to actually make up your mind and not just virtue signal both ways.  either an injury on the football field that flirted with death (but where the player is totally fine an walking around 3 weeks later) is too bad of a thing to accept and you just cancel the season, or you handle it and carry on.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not sure I’m ready to explain away everything by simply pointing to “trauma”, but I heard a psychologist talk about the timeline for people experiencing trauma … long story short… he wasn’t surprised that we played our worst game in a long time last Sunday.   

Stated that 3 weeks is typically when the mind/body just shuts down from the traumatic event.  Mental and physical exhaustion sets in.   

A short flurry of euphoria can carry you through based on the good news, but eventually it all catches up to you. 

Bills/Bengals week was right around that mark. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, Capco said:

Oline is the safest position to select in the first round (in terms of the rate of busts).

If the value is right, a guard at 27 would be an excellent place to start.  A center in the mid-rounds to develop for a year as the eventual replacement for Morse would also work out nicely.

Time in the pocket puts pressure on defensive backs.  Even mediocre WRs can get open against top tier DBs after a few seconds, and a good pass rush nullifies the best WRs in the game when the QB can't get the ball to them in time.  

Would anyone be surprised at an announcement like this by Morse:  “After much consideration with my family, I’ve decided to retire.”

10 hours ago, DC Greg said:

Saffold was out of gas after week 2.

His contract demands will also likely go up with another trip to the Pro Bowl.

Edited by BobbyC81
Cuz

On 1/28/2023 at 6:16 AM, Bob Jones said:

I don't really think it's that bizarre. It's not brain surgery or rocket science out there. It is not surprising that fans who have been watching the NFL for decades, AND paying close attention, are very knowledgeable about the topics you cite above.

What I think is quite hilarious is the fans. Thanks so much of themselves that they think they know more than actual front office people in the NFL.

And I’m not even talking about front office people in the NFL that are on losing franchises. I’m talking about front office people in the NFL that have teams that have gone 13 and three and they the fans think they know more it’s hilarious.

You don’t

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Would anyone be surprised at an announcement like this by Morse:  “After much consideration with my family, I’ve decided to retire.”

His contract demands will also likely go up with another trip to the Pro Bowl.

If Mitch decides to do that, it is within his rights. He has had a great career and too many concussions. I don’t want him on the news years from now, not being able to remember his own name, or the names of his family

We will find another center. If he does the team will move on

• Haha (+1) 1

I paid $100 for a jersey. ENTERTAIN ME!!! NO EXCUSES!!! 

Lots of embarrassing and ignorant people in this thread. Making this all about themselves. 

Once in a lifetime adversity year. This team is tougher than 99.9% of you. Ever watch those hydraulic press videos. Everything has a pressure point before it breaks. Including most of the melonheads in this thread. 

SICK OF THE EXCUSES!!! FIRE SOMEBODY!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.