The Ringer: Josh Allen Needs to Chill

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

They were basically worshiping Allen the first 6 weeks of the season cause of how good he was playing. Now he’s been turning the ball over a bunch and they’re rightfully being critical of that. It’s called being unbiased.

He's had 9 turnovers during our 8 game winning streak and 1/3 of those came last week. He only had 6 turnovers in his last 7 games going into last week. If you want to say he turned it over a bunch last week, I'm with ya, but to say he's been turning it over a bunch when, what amounts to a half a season, he's averaging 1.1 a game. I can't say I agree with that assessment. Especially when the win streak start coincided with Josh having to play through a UCL injury. 

Funny, he was turning the ball over at a greater rate in the first 9 games, we didn't hear nearly as much. He had 13 of them in his first 9 games. Really alot of this comes down to a 3 week stretch from late October through mid November. Against the Packers, Jets & Vikings when he had a total of 8 turnovers. Add this past Miami game in there and that's half his turnovers in 4 games, the other 13 games he's averaging less than 1 per game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He's had 9 turnovers during our 8 game winning streak and 1/3 of those came last week. He only had 6 turnovers in his last 7 games going into last week. If you want to say he turned it over a bunch last week, I'm with ya, but to say he's been turning it over a bunch when, what amounts to a half a season, he's averaging 1.1 a game. I can't say I agree with that assessment. Especially when the win streak start coincided with Josh having to play through a UCL injury. 

Funny, he was turning the ball over at a greater rate in the first 9 games, we didn't hear nearly as much. He had 13 of them in his first 9 games. Really alot of this comes down to a 3 week stretch from late October through mid November. Against the Packers, Jets & Vikings when he had a total of 8 turnovers. Add this past Miami game in there and that's half his turnovers in 4 games, the other 13 games he's averaging less than 1 per game.

I specifically said since the first 6 weeks, as in after the bye week. Reading is hard.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Really good analysis. And yes, as the article shows, Allen is to blame, not Dorsey. The easy yards are there, but Josh has been a little too eager to take the home run swing (and miss).

I agree with the majority of your posts in this topic and elsewhere. However I don't agree completely with "Allen is to blame, not Dorsey." The analysis seems to indicate that the playcalling hasn't changed very much from Daboll to Dorsey. However what we cannot know and might be in play is the "MESSAGING" that Josh receives on a daily basis. Did Daboll wish Josh to be more disciplined and/or less agressive in his coaching? Is Dorsey a more lenient coach than Daboll?

THOSE are the things that none of us know.

8 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Good article. The heat maps are awesome. But, it doesn’t take fancy graphics to know that Sugar High Josh is less than the ideal Josh. 

I love his killer instinct, and his desire to force the ball to his guys to make plays. I don’t want that to change. I’ll ride or die with 17 until the end. 

We ALL love Josh and will ride or die with him. The question still remains, would he be a better/more effective QB is he dialed it back a bit? The unstated question in this article and discussion is what would make Josh Allen even more perfect?

8 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

except for when he takes the home run swings and hits

as pointed out by Greg Tompsett at Cover 1...."which 50 yard pass completion do you want to substitute for the 10 yard completion?"

Ill ride or die with him taking shots. 

Wrong takeaway. The question is "Which 50 yard incompletion/interception do you want to substittue for the 10 yard completion?"

8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

If Josh bets like he plays, he’ll be broke in two years. 

No.

Using this analogy, the question is whether Josh could "make more money" by moderating his aggressiveness.

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Josh Allen is not above constructive criticism.

And Josh Allen would be the first to admit that as he is his own worst critic. But his criticism would he informed and full of context. Talking head pundits? Not so much.

"Harsh reality" coming from perennial bust Kordell Stewart saying that "Josh Allen is imploding". Absolutely ridiculous take that may stem from the fact that Big Ben took over as QB for the Steelers and won a Super Bowl right away. WOW...

“Josh Allen is imploding as we speak,” Allen said. “He falls outside of the top 5 for me.”

During the regular season, Allen completed 359 of 567 passes for 4,283 yards with 35 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions. His tendency to throw interceptions continued in the Wild Card 34-31 victory over the Miami Dolphins. He completed 23 of 39 passes for 352 yards with 3 TD passes and 2 interceptions.

Stewart went on to say that Allen is simply making “too many bonehead mistakes.”

https://clutchpoints.com/josh-allen-is-imploding-bills-qb-gets-harsh-reality-check-from-kordell-stewart

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Fins game was a win. 
but Dorsey and Allen kept attacking what the D was giving them. It’s a cliche. But if Fins D is giving the long ball, it doesn’t mean Bills HAVE to hit it every down. They “dared” Josh/Dorsey to play long ball. It’s risky for both sides. 

Didn’t mean Josh sucked. But he and Dorsey have to keep sanity on long balls. You know tigers will mimic the fish

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well the one to Brown wasn't Josh's fault....that was all Brown that one. If Brown does what he was suppose to then that's another TD

Josh and McD both said it was on Josh as a poor decision.  I wonder if they mean about where Josh chose to locate it or whether he should have targeted Brown at all.  JB had trouble finding it, looking over his right shoulder then his left.  The DB saw it the whole way.

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'll read it soon, but again Shakir catches a perfect pass and Brown doesn't break off route (and probably just an incompletion) what happened afterwards doesn't happen and they are lauding perfect deep throws by Allen.

Smoke was still in position to make a catch.  The DB just made a good play. Smoke needs to attack the ball and break that interception up.  That was the biggest issue.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.