Question for OC Dorsey

JMM

3 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Even if players are open, 50 yard passes downfield are low percentage plays. The pass has to be good and the catch had to be good. If you are winning by 3 scores kill the clock get some first downs and get the heck out of there.

Ya I was saying that all day. I get they were attacking 1 on 1 but you gotta take the easy conversions. Especially with a lead

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Bills have scored 34, 35, 35 and 32 their last 4 games. That's usually good enough to win if a Defense is doing their part. Frazier and soft zone coverage will be the end of our season. You can't continue to play that crap against playoff teams. Our front 4 without Von is pedestrian and allows even the most novice of QBs time to make plays against our "bend not break" D. Please don't spew stats at me because we all know this group is underperforming and not putting lesser competition away. 

Joe Burrow will carve us up without no pass rush.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

IMHO - Dorsey has failed to develop a strategy for the opposition pass rush.  Josh is getting rushed on many plays and they need more quick outlet options vs. having him wait to throw further downfield or get sacked.

Tbf he doesn't look for or use outlets when he had them. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The plays may have been fine but it’s a tempo/feel thing.  Bills were up 17 nothing and ripped off two great long runs and he dials up a bomb that gets picked.  Maybe it was Josh audibling and Smoke shouldn’t have stopped but it was the worst thing to call at that moment of the game and it seemed to completely change the rhythm of it all.  It’s a game flow thing that gets me with Dorsey - he needs to be Josh’s governor but instead, it’s like he’s up in the booth eating pop rocks and chugging 4 Loco.

how much of this is on Dorsey tho? im really starting to think the tempo is on josh. every time we are in field goal range and its 3rd down..im concerned. its boom or complete bust time and im not sure it will change as it hasn't regardless how many redzone turnovers are given up. this season, its been alot.

its exciting to see a cross body throw as his foot is landing out of bounds but it is happening regardless of situation. if a play breaks down its ok to throw it away or DUMP and see if yac can make it happen. the guy constantly plays like we are down by 2 scores in the fourth when we are up sometimes by alot. 3 more points and giving the D good position to start is far more important then him possibly dodging 3 sacks that knock us out of points or getting a last sec pass off. hes very good at that, but sometimes we really dont need that risk reward. 

he's got to trust his guys to make plays. dump it short if its not open. use the R in rpo a bit more. if the run is working audable out of a pass until they stop it even when a pass is called. 

we get these leads and then just seem to go out of our way to let teams right back in it. 

last 2 weeks we got away with it....barely. 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I thought they forced a lot of throwaways and wasted downs with those light rushes and loaded coverages.

Miami had under 250 yrds of total offense on only 3.3 yrds/play and went 4/16 on 3rd down.

Frazier was not a problem today, imo

Mostly agree, though it could easily have been a different outcome with a more experienced passer and a few less drops by Miami receivers. 

5 hours ago, JMM said:

Are you familiar with the following concepts: RB screen, TE screen, bubble screen, draw, delayed draw, quick slant, quick out, go and stop, etc.  I'm no OC, but it seems to me that there are experts in the NFL that believe these are effective concepts against cover zero. Thanks for your attention.  Now...back to calling your seven step drop duo go routes.....

I saw one screen, at least one screen attempted, and it got blown up

Makes sense putting this here actually 

D playing zero is expecting quick throws - expecting you to have no time to throw deep.  

I’m sure there are hot route options but it looked today like Allen and Dorsey were in “we’re going to make them pay” mode.  Which paid off but led to at least 1 INT and 7 sacks but no telling what the thought process on each was.   

Bottom line - whatever the plan is this week we can’t have multiple turnovers.  Probably going to have 1.  But…..need 40 points.  

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

His offense scored 34 points despite having 3 turnovers.

Solid.

AND WON! And broke a pretty bad streak in the process!

"The Dolphins converted Allen's three turnovers -- two interceptions and the lost fumble -- into 18 points, all of which were scored from the six-minute mark in the second quarter to the first minute of the third quarter on Allen's fumble. It was the first time in franchise history that the Bills have won a playoff game despite losing the turnover battle 3-2 (previously 0-13 in those games)."

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We have to get back to josh running the ball  to have any chance against Bengals or Chiefs.  

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Anyone know why that didn’t work today?  Were they spying him?  Just seemed like Josh had nowhere to go.

Yes, extensive spying today.

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

That looked identical to the one Brown caught last week against NE.  A better throw and it could have been a TD

Agree that the INT was more on Brown than on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JMM said:

Are you familiar with the following concepts: RB screen, TE screen, bubble screen, draw, delayed draw, quick slant, quick out, go and stop, etc.  I'm no OC, but it seems to me that there are experts in the NFL that believe these are effective concepts against cover zero. Thanks for your attention.  Now...back to calling your seven step drop duo go routes.....

Would be a good idea if the Bills could actually execute an effective screen. We’ve seen enough to know they cannot. 

6 hours ago, Simon said:

He went a bit Dabollish a couple times but I thought he called a good game for most of the day

Yes. Most issues were due to player execution. Dorsey isn't out there telling Josh to throw the go route every time either. Josh was just a little flustered from getting blitzed all night.

This season, I think the main issues have been, in order, 1) Receivers letting Josh down, 2) Josh making bad decisions, 3) the oline not giving enough protection, and lastly 4) Dorsey play calling.

Yes, play calling has occasionally been an issue, including in this game, but I think the other issues I mentioned have been worse.

And even with all of that we had one of the best offenses and win/loss records in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes. Most issues were due to player execution. Dorsey isn't out there telling Josh to throw the go route every time either. Josh was just a little flustered from getting blitzed all night.

This season, I think the main issues have been, in order, 1) Receivers letting Josh down, 2) Josh making bad decisions, 3) the oline not giving enough protection, and lastly 4) Dorsey play calling.

Yes, play calling has occasionally been an issue, including in this game, but I think the other issues I mentioned have been worse.

And even with all of that we had one of the best offenses and win/loss records in the league.

He's sending all WRs on deeper routes every play. That's not Josh's fault either. That's why Allen is a lot more turnover prone this season. Every play has 4 WRs running routes that are 20 or more yards up the field. That's on Dorsey, not Allen

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya I was saying that all day. I get they were attacking 1 on 1 but you gotta take the easy conversions. Especially with a lead

When Josh connects on them, we love him whenever. He throws the perfect pass in the wide receiver drops it he gets criticism you can’t love people in slices you have to take the whole pie.

12 hours ago, Simon said:

This is a great post.

I hated the fact that the turnover came on first down but at that point in the game they were having really good success finding openings in the secondary on 1st downs and I get what he was trying to do on that particular down. I wonder what Josh passed up to chuck that prayer instead; I'd bet that one of his first two options was available and he couldn't help himself

I think the route was designed to go to Knox running towards the sideline. I think Brown is supposed to be a decoy that takes the safety deep but the safety squats on the Knox route (was still there to complete but the safety would have been in position to tackle) leaving Brown 1v1 with the corner which Josh sees - he sort of pumps, sees the safety squat and then reloads and goes long. But I don't think Brown is expecting the pass hence he doesn't really complete his route.

But it was 1st down and he had Morris wide open for an easy check down for 4 or 5 yards so if he didn't like the Knox throw that was where he should have gone IMO. Up 17-3, on 1st down, no need to launch that even if Brown is 1v1.

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When Josh connects on them, we love him whenever. He throws the perfect pass in the wide receiver drops it he gets criticism you can’t love people in slices you have to take the whole pie.

This is unquestionably true. I never want Josh to just be a paint by numbers guy because it is his ability to do the exceptional that makes him special not his ability to do the routine exceptionally consistently. He is Favre not Brady. 

But some of those errors yesterday felt unforced and need cleaning up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.