Season end, how good are the Bills really?

Comebackkid

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Look I am the biggest critic of the oline but a lot of the pressure today came from cover 0 blitzes. That is mainly OC and Quarterback who have to adjust to that.... and their only answer today seemed "chuck it deep." That is kinda back where we were 3 years ago. The last two years we killed heavy blitz teams. 

since i dont recall and your the expert here...   is that normal for the Dolphins when they play us or did they catch us off guard?

Just now, Comebackkid said:

since i dont recall and your the expert here...   is that normal for the Dolphins when they play us or did they catch us off guard?

They are a blitz heavy team regardless. Haven't seen the cover 0 numbers for this year but they ran it 2nd most in the NFL last year. They ran it less against us in week 4, but they mixed some of it in the week before xmas. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Glass half empty-Allen has recently been off on most games compared to 20 and 21, the defense leaves the opposing offense on the field too long and the Bills often aren't playing their best football

Glass half full-Buffalo has learned to win the close games, overcame an injury plagued season and are on an eight game winning streak.

Taking it one game at a time

Edited by dgrochester55

not sure about the validity of this link...  but the bottom table with us at 13-3 shows us at #7 sos

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

1 minute ago, dgrochester55 said:

Glass half empty-Allen has recently been off on most games compared to 20 and 21, the defense leaves the opposing offense on the field too long and the Bills often aren't playing their best football

Glass half full-Buffalo has learned to win the close games, overcame an injury plagued season and are on an eight game winning streak.

Taking it one game at a time

great reply...thanks

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bengals D is better all around than the Fins.

Dolphins have a good front 4, but their linebackers and banged up secondary are a mess. (31st against the pass)

Do the Bengals intend on using their secondary to pass rush Allen? 

• Like (+1) 1

Answer is: what is the Bills current win streak…, 

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

reply is...what is the strength of teams during that win streak?   (either way its impressive, many things have gone against the bills outside of the game itself)

Just win baby!!!

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

Season ain’t ended yet

20 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I don’t claim to be an expert, but the Dolphins are absolutely known for Cover0 blitzing

It must be noted that for those who want more run game, Cover0 blitzes can stuff the run as well.

The two canonical ways to beat them are with deep throws up the middle (knowing there is no safety back there), or, with screen passes.

14 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Do the Bengals intend on using their secondary to pass rush Allen? 

Huh? Lol. 

I brought up the point that the Bengals have a overall better defence as Miami is 31st against the pass. 

Sacks count towards pass as well. So even with Miami’s pass rush, still 31st against the pass during the regular season .

Not sure what you’re arguing here to be honest 

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Huh? Lol. 

I brought up the point that the Bengals have a overall better defence as Miami is 31st against the pass. 

Sacks count towards pass as well. So even with Miami’s pass rush, still 31st against the pass during the regular season .

Not sure what you’re arguing here to be honest 

I’m arguing Miami DL is elite. 

Just now, GolfandBills said:

It comes down to Allen’s turnovers.  Just way too many.  It’s becoming a very real problem 

He’s been very loose with the football. Pocket awareness is real. OL giving up a ton of pressure. Sometimes when there’s no pressure he’s seeing ghosts. And today he misses a corner blitz. It was a disaster at times. 

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Season ain’t ended yet

I don’t claim to be an expert, but the Dolphins are absolutely known for Cover0 blitzing

It must be noted that for those who want more run game, Cover0 blitzes can stuff the run as well.

The two canonical ways to beat them are with deep throws up the middle (knowing there is no safety back there), or, with screen passes.

The reason i asked, was just wondering if the Bills should have been prepared for it.  i could assume i guess that the deep passes were 

because the bills thought they could take advantage of that and dolphins secondary that isnt that greatest.   For what ever reason it seems like all those big 

play attempts were on 3rd down. 

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If the 49ers rush like they did yesterday Allen will carve them up on the ground...they were all upfield leaving huge rush lanes.

dolphins did a good job at keeping Allen confined in the back field.   

4 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

It comes down to Allen’s turnovers.  Just way too many.  It’s becoming a very real problem 

Nah, Brown quit on his route on the first INT and the second INT literally clanked off Beasley’s chest. The fumble might’ve been Allen’s fault, gotta go back and watch to see if someone whiffed in the outside blitz or if Allen misread it. 

Edited by Wraith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

The reason i asked, was just wondering if the Bills should have been prepared for it.  i could assume i guess that the deep passes were 

because the bills thought they could take advantage of that and dolphins secondary that isnt that greatest.   For what ever reason it seems like all those big 

play attempts were on 3rd down. 

dolphins did a good job at keeping Allen confined in the back field.   

Yeah the Fins made some nice "fake" openings where they allowed Allen to think he had a wide open rush lane up the middle and then as soon as he tries to run, they collapsed inside to take it away.

That takes some experience tho to do we, in one game where the other team hasn't faced Allen or hasn't in a few years I doubt they are that nuanced.

That's why division games are tough no matter what.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wraith said:

Nah, Brown quit on his route on the first INT and the second INT literally clanked off Beasley’s chest. The fumble might’ve been Allen’s fault, gotta go back and watch to see if some whiffed in the outside blitz or if Allen misread it. 

aside from the obvious of it causing turnovers.   thats twice now Allens elbow has taken a good hit while his arm is in full motion.   

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Nah, Brown quit on his route on the first INT and the second INT literally clanked off Beasley’s chest. The fumble might’ve been Allen’s fault, gotta go back and watch to see if someone whiffed in the outside blitz or if Allen misread it. 

I put the fumble on Allen.  I think he misread the coverage.

Agree on the two INT, especially the throw to Beasley.  But I forgave him on the TD

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

aside from the obvious of it causing turnovers.   thats twice now Allens elbow has taken a good hit while his arm is in full motion.   

Yeah, I’m worried about that

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yeah the Fins made some nice "fake" openings where they allowed Allen to think he had a wide open rush lane up the middle and then as soon as he tries to run, they collapsed inside to take it away.

That takes some experience tho to do we, in one game where the other team hasn't faced Allen or hasn't in a few years I doubt they are that nuanced.

That's why division games are tough no matter what.

agreed and good point.   On the other side...   what did the bills take away from the last two games that helped them in this game?   or is that where having a

rookie at qb throws a wrench into it?

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They are not as good as last year.  Josh is not playing as well, and to me a lot of that is because we miss Daboll.  

Yes, the 11-6 team was better than this 13-3.

I am not being sarcastic.  I absolutely agree, and especially the way they ramped it up at the end of last season.  Continuity with Dabol and Frazier (spelling) was timely.  13 seconds didn’t cost us a trip to the afc championship as much as I think it cost us super bowl title. The opportunity to win it all was missed last year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Cincinnati, KC, and Eagles or 49ers.

Having watched the Bills and Niners the last few weeks, I think the Niners would kill the Bills in the Super Bowl.  SF is more disciplined, make fewer mistakes, faster, tougher and I’d have to say are coached better.  Josh would have no time to pass, Diggs would be smothered and they wouldn’t gain much running.

Given 2 weeks to prepare, Shanahan would exploit all of the Bills weaknesses defensively.  If you have trouble tackling the likes of Ahmed, Hill, Waddle, etc, what are they going to do vs McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle.  

Like everyone else, I hoped this was the year for the Bills, but I don’t see it.  I also don’t see anyone beating the Niners.  The addition of McCaffrey moved them up a notch to unbeatable.  The Bills should’ve done whatever they needed to acquire him.  When your offense, like the Niners, becomes that potent and gets leads, the defense can just be aggressive, which they already were.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Comebackkid said:

agreed and good point.   On the other side...   what did the bills take away from the last two games that helped them in this game?   or is that where having a

I think the way they stopped those runs the Dolphins were hurting them with last game was very noticeable. Fins did almost nothing on the ground.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not being sarcastic.  I absolutely agree, and especially the way they ramped it up at the end of last season.  Continuity with Dabol and Frazier (spelling) was timely.  13 seconds didn’t cost us a trip to the afc championship, but I think a super bowl title. The opportunity to win it all was missed last year.

They were not because when games were close they lost all of them. This year they won the vast majority. 

In the playoffs you'll play far more close games than blowouts.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think the way they stopped those runs the Dolphins were hurting them with last game was very noticeable. Fins did almost nothing on the ground.

how much of that was due to them not worried about Skylar  burning them through the air like Tua?   

Edited by Comebackkid

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They were not because when games were close they lost all of them. This year they won the vast majority. 

In the playoffs you'll play far more close games than blowouts.

Won’t argue with that one from you, Turk.  It is a solid point.

I'm still just weary.

weird thing…no lie whatsoever…I was NEVER worried during this game.  However, I just note the flaws.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Won’t argue with that one from you, Turk.  It is a solid point.

I'm still just weary.

weird thing…no lie whatsoever…I was NEVER worried during this game.  However, I just note the flaws.

Same...however at the end I knew it could have gone either way.   I think its just because in my mind...when push came to shove they wern't going to let Skylar beat them

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Same...however at the end I knew it could have gone either way.   I think its just because in my mind...when push came to shove they wern't going to let Skylar beat them

Yes, yes, yes…I agree, Kid. 

The other weird thing in my head was, IF they lost, ok then, but I want someone accountable for what happened.  Not fired, per se, but to take stock.

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

I thought we did a very good job covering Waddle and Hill.  

Hill had 7 receptions on 15 targets for 69 yds.  That’s “contained” for Hill

Waddle had 3 receptions on 7 targets for 44 yds.  That’s “contained” for Waddle.

The Dolphins had 42 yds rushing, which is a far cry from what they had last game (188 I think)

So I would say the Bills had some success covering these guys, both of whom can turn short receptions into huge gains, and at containing the run.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes, yes, yes…I agree, Kid. 

The other weird thing in my head was, IF they lost, ok then, but I want someone accountable for what happened.  Not fired, per se, but to take stock. to take a beating!😃

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought we did a very good job covering Waddle and Hill.  

Hill had 7 receptions on 15 targets for 69 yds.  That’s “contained” for Hill

Waddle had 3 receptions on 7 targets for 44 yds.  That’s “contained” for Waddle.

The Dolphins had 42 yds rushing, which is a far cry from what they had last game (188 I think)

So I would say the Bills had some success covering these guys, both of whom can turn short receptions into huge gains, and at containing the run.

They did contain them much better.   Again...not apples to apples because no Tua but for what ever reason the dolphins wr didnt play that well..maybe part was timing..maybe it was all Bills D..   

• Haha (+1) 1

When the Bills play clean football, they’re double digit over anybody.  When the Bills play sloppy, they’re down to the last possession with anybody.   The Bills play sloppy more often than true greats.  They play clean often enough to be the favorite week after week.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

14 wins against NFL teams is excellent.  Josh was not good today.

They gave up 230 yards today.  Not too bad!

Josh was fine today, if this game pointed anything out, it’s a resounding lack of talent at WR, the drops on all the deep shots were unreal.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not being sarcastic.  I absolutely agree, and especially the way they ramped it up at the end of last season.  Continuity with Dabol and Frazier (spelling) was timely. 

I would encourage you to review how the Bills finished the regular season last year. After a solid victory in New England they finished the season with two ugly wins against the Falcons and the Jets. It wasn’t pretty. How the Bills played in the playoffs last year has warped a lot of people’s memories including yours. 

Ironically it was the 2020 team that really finished the regular season on a roll only to squeak past lower seeds in the first two rounds of the playoffs. 

Edited by Wraith
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is there a fart emoji we can add for responses? Ya know how you can leave a check or a barf face or a beer mug, what have you. How 'bout a fart? Cause that's what I think when I read this. My brain sees it and eventually just starts making a big ol "tthhbbpplllttbblltltl" noise. Farts. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Eyeroll 1

All I know is after tomorrow there are 8 teams remaining and the Bills are one of them with another home game. When this team is in rhythm it’s a beautiful thing to watch and they look unstoppable. Unfortunately, they continue to make just too many head scratching mistakes which are mostly self inflicted!  Just clean up the stupid stuff, take the easy throws and Josh HAS TOO take better care of the ball. Two INT’s and three fumbles is not acceptable!  What’s frustrating is they keep taking about cleaning things up but they CONTINUE to happen. 

I do know they can beat anyone if they play to their potential. 

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I would encourage you to review how the Bills finished the regular season last year. After a solid victory in New England they finished the season with two ugly wins against the Falcons and the Jets. It wasn’t pretty. How the Bills played in the playoffs last year has warped a lot of people’s memories including yours. 

Ironically it was the 2020 team that really finished the regular season on a roll only to squeak past lower seeds in the first two rounds of the playoffs. 

From 7-6 through to 13 seconds. I’m very cognizant of what I said and how I said it, son.*

(* it sounds dickish but I really don’t mean it that way, brother Wraith.  It just read cool the way I wrote it!  😂. I hear ya!)

42 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m arguing Miami DL is elite. 

He’s been very loose with the football. Pocket awareness is real. OL giving up a ton of pressure. Sometimes when there’s no pressure he’s seeing ghosts. And today he misses a corner blitz. It was a disaster at times. 

Cinci has DJ reader, Hendrickson, Hubbard.

Their linebackers are stacked, and secondary is better than Miami.

In basically every stat outside of run defence, Bengals have a better defence than Miami 

36 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not being sarcastic.  I absolutely agree, and especially the way they ramped it up at the end of last season.  Continuity with Dabol and Frazier (spelling) was timely.  13 seconds didn’t cost us a trip to the afc championship as much as I think it cost us super bowl title. The opportunity to win it all was missed last year.

Agree.  If they go on to win it all this year the same will apply.  It's ok for last year's team to be better then this year team that may win it all.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.