Bills with third least offseason resources (cap space, draft capital, prorateable $)

beebe

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills can free up close to $50 million in cap space by restructuring a bunch of contracts in the offseason.    Probably have enough to re-up Edmunds and Poyer and bring in 1-2 good free agents.   Not in a horrible position at all.  

That is a huge amount of cap space.  How did you come up with that number?

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

That is a huge amount of cap space.  How did you come up with that number?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/  Been using this to keep an eye on things throughout the year.   Now that the -6 million overage is factored in its more like $42.5 million but you can get there by restructuring 12 or 13 contracts.  I dont know if they will want to pay that much money up front, really up to Pegula, but it can be done.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Haven't the Chiefs already restructured Mahomes contract?

We still have that lever to pull if I'm not mistaken. 

They did a couple years ago, but not this past year.....which is huge.  KC was able to eat a whole 35 million dollar hit for 2022.  

3 hours ago, beebe said:

Yes. But this year's Bills team on paper is probably the best version of the team we'll see in the immediate future. With Hyde and Von, plus fully healthy versions of White and Poyer, I don't think you can top the roster that's put together this year top to bottom. I'd put it up there with any roster of the last decade. 

This year's Chiefs team might be the worst we've seen in the Mahomes era, and might be the worst we see going forward a few years too. The Chiefs hit on basically every single draft pick last year, saved a bunch of money on the Tyreek trade, potentially replaced him by stealing Toney from the Giants, and still have some extra draft capital/money to maneuver next offseason.

The Bills will be fine going forward, but would do themselves a big favor cashing in this year. 

So, the reaason why this is a big deal.  KC already vied 2022 as a cap reset year ...so when all 11 draft picks made the team and many started and contributed that's been HUGE and it's even a bigger deal becasue KC went forward with no restructure for Mahomes in 2022 and took on the 35 mil cap hit.  His cap hit in 2023 is 46 mil.....and even with that being the case...KC still NOW has 28 mil in cap space.  AND...Frank Clark will be cut saving an additional whopping 20 million more, AND there is a decent chance they cut MVS, saving another 7 million.  Having those draft picks essentially hit means KC can do some stuff in 2023....or could possibly leave Mahomes number alone again.  The more they can absord as we go, the more that is free later.

This is both WHY and HOW a team with a franchise QB can and should be a SB contender every season.  

The Bills don't have to tear it down or make hard choices just yet but a time is coming soon when you have to get that cap straightened out some OR kick until you can't kick anymore and eat a whole season or 2 getting it all right again.  

The best part is these are 1 st world problems for the teams that have the Franchise QB...much better to be working this stuff out than wondering where your next QB is coming from, the coaches, FO, and so on.

• Like (+1) 4

While we’re in a decent spot short term and long term, this is why we can’t just “Pay Po” and it’s also why we should look at trading guys like Oliver and/or Davis before they walk for nothing.  

I don’t mind Davis for WR3 money, but I fear his number will be WR2 range.  

Oliver, as of now, I’d trade him for a 2nd without thinking twice.  

37 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Chiefs front office is amazing. 

Maybe you should send them some chocolate

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

While we’re in a decent spot short term and long term, this is why we can’t just “Pay Po” and it’s also why we should look at trading guys like Oliver and/or Davis before they walk for nothing.  

I don’t mind Davis for WR3 money, but I fear his number will be WR2 range.  

Oliver, as of now, I’d trade him for a 2nd without thinking twice.  

can you tell us one more time about how you feel about Ed oliver? I don’t think we all heard it the first hundred times.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, damj said:

Getting deals for Oliver, Poyer, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but ... Edmunds are a must.

I'd like to keep Singletary, but I think we can get him resigned for a team friendly short 1 year deal ... the RB FA market is STACKED, so Motor might not get a big payday. 

WR, I think we need to go draft route. WR FA crop is very thin ... maybe a vet to round out the WR room.

He won’t be expensive but it won’t be one year.  He’d probably get 3, in part to spread out cap.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

KC is in a good position.  Remember the Bills have  Oliver, Edmunds, Motor and Poyer all probably looking for big paydays.  Saffold is also wanting a deal.  I believe the Bills probably need O-line and WR help in the offseason.

Oliver is tied up already. Motor is gone. Saffold is gone. Sign Poyer for 3 year deal and tag Edmunds. Easy.

Draft WR,S, and OL. Done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.