What's The Likelihood That Gabe Davis Will Get A Contract Extension?

Kangaxx

My question is whether Gabe can right the ship when the real season starts? Last year and in his rookie season he put together some great games. He’s had some disappointing drops but he gets separation and Josh obviously trusts him because he got 10 targets yesterday. I’m holding out hope for this guy. We need him.

• Like (+1) 2

Other teams seem to get more out of young/rookie players earlier than we do. I am not sure Davis is done here. I definitely don't think he is done in the league. 

But Shakir is supposed to be versatile and play both inside and out. He hasn't spelled either Davis in any meaningful way. I don understand that Davis is physically a better player. 

Our struggles at slot are a thorn in my side. Shakir can play inside, but almost never takes any meaningful snaps. Hodgins is turning out to be a great slot guy for the NYG. (405/693 snaps are inside) We also grabbed both Hines and Cook for their ability to line up wide and they never do. (83 and 28 snaps out wide respectively)

Davis is cheap labor for 2023 but I really hope he's not given the number 2 job outright — I'd love to see someone brought in (draft in all likelihood as we don't have the bucks for a big free agent signing) and some real competition for the number two spot during offseason.

Would McDermott choose to make a fourth-year player fight for his third-year roster spot?

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

My only disagreement with you, Einstein, is that I honestly believe he is at best a 2b.  I think either in the draft or in FA we have to find a better compliment to Diggs.

we have seen him make some deep plays, but his speed is a question mark for what is likely needed for a 2 here.

I will also echo, I won’t be shocked to learn there’s some lingering core/lower body injury. It could help explain his lack of agility and seeming to not have great body control (both middle of the field, and around sidelines) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We heard the Vikings CB say Gabe only runs 3 routes, so that tells me Gabe's mental game is far from top notch. We've seen some communication hiccups as well as lack of focus/concentration.

Just compare top 3 teams in the AFC and the Bills are woefully behind on completions in comparison. The best Gabe Davis can hope for is a 1 year prove it deal, but I think our priority in the Draft will be a top WR with a 5th year option. That should gives us a #2 under price control that take us towards end of the Stephon Diggs era. 

The exact same thing can be said about McKenzie.... time to move on.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/buf

Edited by ddaryl

39 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We heard the Vikings CB say Gabe only runs 3 routes, so that tells me Gabe's mental game is far from top notch. We've seen some communication hiccups as well as lack of focus/concentration.

I don't know that if that is Davis' fault or Dorsey's. According to Cover 1, Davis went from being in the slot ~33% of time in prior years to <10% this year. That is a huge shift in usage and could explain some things.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't know that if that is Davis' fault or Dorsey's. According to Cover 1, Davis went from being in the slot ~33% of time in prior years to <10% this year. That is a huge shift in usage and could explain some things.

Not a big fan of Dorsey this year either, and if Dorsey only has minimum routes designed for Gabe then WTF???  but Gabe's drops and lack of focus has nothing to do with Dorsey.

I like Gabe and he's come up big, but also hasn't done anything to establish himself as a threat that relieves pressure on Diggs.  I agree that he's better lined up in the slot, but he's not a slot receiver.  I let him play out his deal and see what next year does for him.  

Sadly, someone will pay him.  He may not get Kirk money, but I could see him getting 12-15 per.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I like Gabe and he's come up big, but also hasn't done anything to establish himself as a threat that relieves pressure on Diggs.  I agree that he's better lined up in the slot, but he's not a slot receiver.  I let him play out his deal and see what next year does for him.  

Sadly, someone will pay him.  He may not get Kirk money, but I could see him getting 12-15 per.  

Virgil, I mentioned a couple of months back (just pulling numbers out my backside) that when he is available that someone will give him a 4 year 50 million dollar deal, so I hear you on the above.

I just don't want it to be the Bills.

He is a 2b or a solid 3 on a team. 

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is Pickens or Christian Watson.  Would have served as WR 2B.   

Both add an element that make this offense ridiculous.  That’s nothing against Gabe, just another draft pick in a SB run year you can absolutely question.  The idea of a CB was correct but it’s currently a bad miss.  For now.

But we need production, now.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.