OT…possible permanent neutral site AFC and NFC Championship Games

78thealltimegreat

They where discussing on Sirius XM and I see profootballtalk picked it up. Seeing this year how successful neutral site semi finals are having in college. The league is watching closely how successful a neutral site AFC championship game would be.
  Would it be so far off for them to have a.Super Bowl Junior and have neutral site AFC and NFC championship games in the future? I could see it… shortens the off season…moves the draft to probably middle of May…etc…keeping football on peoples  minds pretty much the whole year. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

What's the point of playing for the #1 seed if you can't host the championship game ?

Why not just "preseason" the majority of your starters in December once you clinch in November ?

Play the lower seeded teams and not having to play in the opponents stadium...

16 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

What's the point of playing for the #1 seed if you can't host the championship game ?

Why not just "preseason" the majority of your starters in December once you clinch in November ?

You would get a week off.

I have wondered why the nfl doesn’t build a neural site stadium that is just the NFLs. Build it in a city that doesn’t already have a team so you can give that area something. You can host games incase of weather emergencies, or if a team was misplaced, you can have neutral site championship games, super bowls, combine, the draft etc. Obviously you can use the venue for other things year round but I feel like the NFL would just have a stadium that doesn’t belong to a team. The 17th game gives every team a different number of home and away games, you could use it to play the 17th game for everyone so it’s even. There are endless possibilities but I feel like it’d make sense for the league to have their own venue 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have wondered why the nfl doesn’t build a neural site stadium that is just the NFLs. Build it in a city that doesn’t already have a team so you can give that area something. You can host games incase of weather emergencies, or if a team was misplaced, you can have neutral site championship games, super bowls, combine, the draft etc. Obviously you can use the venue for other things year round but I feel like the NFL would just have a stadium that doesn’t belong to a team. The 17th game gives every team a different number of home and away games, you could use it to play the 17th game for everyone so it’s even. There are endless possibilities but I feel like it’d make sense for the league to have their own venue 

There already is one, Canton, home of the Hall Of Fame.  They'd have to expand seating, but it gets used every year in pre-season. 

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

wait how would it shorten the offseason? 

Only thing I can think is it's likely going to be played at a stadium where the team has been eliminated so they won't be able to do whatever end of season thing at the stadium until the playoffs are over.

Not shorter for players but for facilities management teams.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Here's a strange idea; could the NFL build its own stadium to be used as a neutral site, maybe host a Super Bowl? Perhaps host combine,draft,other NDL events.

The Renderings are due any day now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

V good idea.

I think austin tx. Need major airport. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hate it....  Playoff games on your home turf are special... wouldn't want to lose that possibility.. Plus it makes the regular season more competitive instead of teams jockeying for comfortable positions

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

God I hope not...this year would be understandable with the unprecedented event that just occurred but that would totally suck to make it a normal thing

I understand the skepticism. On the other hand having the Championship games decided without weather being a factor has its good points.

In a controlled environment Josh Allen and the Bills O is at its best IMO.

• Dislike 2

27 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is actually a really solid idea. I saw Simon mentioned Canton but I could see a stadium in somewhere like (and I have no idea if those places have college stadiums so if one is already there, my apologies): Austin, Memphis, St Louis, San Diego, or OKC. Bring in revenue for concerts and whatnot and have a place when ***** hits the fan. I think each of those cities could support this. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.