Thoughts on Bengals Game.

newcam2012

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, you would’ve thought they were the steel curtain out there Vs Josh.. he was completely neutralized…

I wouldn't go that far, but Josh hasn't looked like the Josh of pre-season MVP discussion since the KC game. Once again he looked just a little off - as evidenced by his misses to McKenzie and Beasley. Cinci on the other hand looked dominant. I don't see our defense being able to keep up with them. their top 2 WRs are leagues better than what we can offer on defense right now. It looked like the beginning of a blowout to me.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t understand the Bills with 5 years of experience with Allen don’t have a designed Allen run call built into every possession <8 yards and in.

The first drive there were multiple times Josh had to ask for the play again over the noise. I'm fairly confident he called the second down play I'm the RZ. He clearly throws his hands down in frustration at about 22 seconds on the clock. I think he was hoping that his normal play call in that situation (a HB run up the middle) was going to be jumped and was hoping that misdirection was going to work. Instead they were fortunate he didn't hand the ball off.

4 minutes ago, mbowman14 said:

It was going to be a run by Motor but the Corner on McKenzie didn't follow him across with his Jet Motion.  Instead when McKenzie motioned, that Corner blitzed and Spencer Brown couldn't get to him in time as they weren't expecting that blitz.  Josh sensed that handing it off would have been a 5 yard loss and kept the ball.  You can see in Diggs' reaction up top as he clearly thought it was a running play and made no attempt to run a route.  Dion Dawkins was also downfield leading you to believe it was a run.

It was a backyard football reaction. He made the right decision, IMO.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I simply am astonished that there are people who think that game was already over in the first quarter down by 4.  WOW, that is amazing to me.

It wasn’t the score that made me think that.

It was context.

We we’re down 4, the Bengals we’re effortlessly driving again, and we were already down 2 defensive starters due to injury in the first 8 minutes.

This wasn’t the Bears we were playing where we could easily come back. It’s an elite team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I wouldn't go that far, but Josh hasn't looked like the Josh of pre-season MVP discussion since the KC game. Once again he looked just a little off - as evidenced by his misses to McKenzie and Beasley. Cinci on the other hand looked dominant. I don't see our defense being able to keep up with them. their top 2 WRs are leagues better than what we can offer on defense right now. It looked like the beginning of a blowout to me.

To Bease, that's a normal miss for all QBs. To McK he thought there was pressure and didn't step into it. He would likely have seen that and improved moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1

Is this really a conversation after watching 8 minutes - how many games this year showed why you play all 60 minutea- that's not just Bills games either - so much thought on what ifs on this board- sure take your mind of reality with your nonsense takes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It was context.

We we’re down 4, the Bengals we’re effortlessly driving again, and we were already down 2 defensive starters due to injury in the first 8 minutes.

This wasn’t the Bears we were playing where we could easily come back. It’s an elite team.

You're right.  The Bengals can't be come backed on.  Evidence was last week when they were up by 22-0 at halftime, Burrow had just under 300 yards passing in the first half with 3 TD's.  The Bengals have an elite team so the Pats never had a chance in the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It was context.

I think that second drive wasn't what you thought is was... 3rd and short. Would they have gotten it, likely, but I think the defense was beginning to settle down.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The bengals had 8 plays on offense…..

an nfl game has multiple twists and turns.  Game plans change.  Coaches adjust.  We can’t tell much of anything based on what we saw.  

True but what we did see was that our D looked bad against their offence

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kinda like the same they looked like against the Pats and then did nothingin the 2nd half?  Cincy does a lot of that...they look great for a half but then don't score much the other half.  Hell, even the Bills have done that.  Nothing could really be "figured" out from what we saw to start.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Prayers go out to Hamlin. That's obviously the most important priority! Waiting in agony for positive results. 

However, maybe we can just talk a little football just to escape reality and cope with the sad occurrence of events. With no disrespect, I'd like to address the 5 min and change of the game. Please no disrespect is intended.

Bengals elected to get the ball and moved through the Bills D like Swiss cheese. They made an early statement that their offense had no fear. They immediately went after Tre. Tre is not the Tre of old. No way can he play Chase one on one. Very surprised that the Bills immediately blitzed Burrow. Burrow has killed the blitz all year. Not sure what Fraizer was thinking. After that, it was Burrow playing catch with his receivers. Early on it appeared that the Bills secondary and zone scheme was over matched by their receivers.

Their second drive which ended in the tragic event started out similarly to the first. At this point, it looked as though the Bills couldn't stop their potent offense.  Would the Bills be able to make adjustments and tighten up? They have done this in the past.

The Bills offensively on their first and only drive looked good. The were well balanced mixing in the run and pass. It was quite different than the explosive fast striking offense of the Bengals. The Bills methodically moved the ball down the field. It was clear the Bengals were going to pressure Allen. It looked like the Bills O was working very hard for every yard and first down. Tough way to score and win. I felt like the Bills had to be precise on every play with little room for error. Turned out to be true with the Beasley missed pass and catch. 

My early thoughts of the game were that this was going to be a very difficult game for the Bills to win. Bengals offense was simply too good and too explosive for the Bills. Meanwhile, the Bills offense was had little room for error. Allen was going to be pressured throughout the game. I still felt like the Bills offense would score plenty. 

We will never know how they game would have ended. Just pure speculation on my part. Early on the Bengals were the much better team. Get well #3. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The bengals had 8 plays on offense…..

an nfl game has multiple twists and turns.  Game plans change.  Coaches adjust.  We can’t tell much of anything based on what we saw.  

Meanwhile…..the board agrees with who?  Certainly not 8 plays means so much guy.  

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Kinda like the same they looked like against the Pats and then did nothingin the 2nd half?  Cincy does a lot of that...they look great for a half but then don't score much the other half.  Hell, even the Bills have done that.  Nothing could really be "figured" out from what we saw to start.

If your gameplan was to have Cinci lay down to us later in the game, ok. My opinion is from the perspective that when they are playing at their best, which it looks like they were, they outclass us in most positions on the field.

Edited by BullBuchanan

21 minutes ago, teef said:

just look who they are.  does that shock you at all?

The sadness brigade runs deep in this thread.  

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

True but what we did see was that our D looked bad against their offence

For 8 plays…….

how is this SO difficult for people to comprehend?  It’s unreal and a bit sad

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m dealing with many ‘friends’ who’ve been blasting the Bills Defense on the opening drive. Morons. Here’s my response:

“Get a grip. Cincy has a very dynamic offense. Very best trio of WRs and a Super Bowl QB. Everyone who follows the Bills closely knew it would be a barn burner between Allen & Burrow. It was developing exactly as anticipated. Allen threw a ***** pas that Beasley managed to get open to make the catch but isn’t 7’ tall..”

Damn. They’re worse than this lot!

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

The throw to Bease on 3rd down was huge. Cost us 7 points. I was upset they didn't go for it. Felt like the score was about to be 14 - 3.  Not sure why the bills defense wasnt covering the middle of the field. 

In the moment, I agree with you completely.  

This defense struggles early in games.  I'm sure the coaches have faith that they would hold the Bengals down, or to a FG, on the following drive... but that feels misguided given their recent struggles until they settle in.

Felt 3 meant nothing at that moment.  Also felt like we would get 7 unless we screwed up... which we did on 2nd and 3rd down... wasn't anything the Bengals did. 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If your gameplan was to have Cinci lay down to us later int he game, ok. My opinion is from the perspective that when they are playing at their best, which it looks like they were, they outclass us in most positions on the field.

They outclass us at most positions on the field….. oh man.  

ok I need to go for a run.  

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're right.  The Bengals can't be come backed on.

Well I never said that, so… ok.

But yeah the Patriots didn’t lose 2 defensive starters before the end of the 1st quarter either.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're right.  The Bengals can't be come backed on.  Evidence was last week when they were up by 22-0 at halftime, Burrow had just under 300 yards passing in the first half with 3 TD's.  The Bengals have an elite team so the Pats never had a chance in the game.

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep.  The Bengals scored on all 4 drives in the 1st half against the Pats and were up 22-0.  That spoke volumes as well since the Bengals kept putting up the points on the Pats after half time too.  

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It is obvious you guys did not watch the Patriots game.  Bengals went conservative but still moved the ball with ease, they did have 2 punts but also a missed FG, fumbled, TD called back, 2 interceptions both on the WRs and one in the red zone, Pats had a Hail Mary tipped TD on 3rd & 28 from midfield, Pats had ONE scoring drive the entire game.  Very doubtful the Bengals self implode like that in back to back weeks.  That said, unlike the Pats, the Bills are plenty good enough to come back without the opponent trying to give the game away.  

Edited by Caesar
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LondonBill said:

I thought our one drive was pretty good and we looked to have all aspects firing. Their offence looked scary but I think we’d have adapted. Can’t read anything into it, really. I think we might have ground them down. 

Perhaps. May I ask if you think the Bengals D would have adapted and adjusted to the Bills O? Is that a possibility? Lou Anarumo is one of the better at in game adjustment D coordinators in the game. 

It cuts both ways here. Can't just say Bills D would have adjusted and tighten up the screws without saying the Bengals might have too. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps. May I ask if you think the Bengals D would have adapted and adjusted to the Bills O? Is that a possibility? Lou Anarumo is one of the better at in game adjustment D coordinators in the game. 

It cuts both ways here. Can't just say Bills D would have adjusted and tighten up the screws without saying the Bengals might have too. 

None of us can say what would have happened. I’m just an optimist maybe. But I’ve seen enough last few years to trust us. But of course it could have gone any way. Just my opinion man 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wish we knew what the play call and the responsibilities were on that second down. Seemed more than just the Bengals blew it up.

3rd down incompletion was a bad pass not a drop. A good pass and Cole scores probably untouched. It was a great route and good play design. Josh has to deliver a catchable ball. He did not. Every ball that touches a hand is not a catchable ball and not always a drop. 

Personally I think that particular play came in so late that everyone was rushed and they just couldnt execute. That one is on Dorsey IMO. I also disagree.  The ball was catchable.  A tough catch and I dont blame Cole but catchable ball that other receivers do make all the time.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

It is obvious you guys did not watch the Patriots game.  Bengals went conservative but still moved the ball with ease, they did have 2 punts but also a missed FG, TD called back, 2 interceptions both on the WRs and one in the red zone, Pats had a Hail Mary tipped TD on 3rd & 28 from midfield, Pats had ONE scoring drive the entire game.  Very doubtful the Bengals self implode like that in back to back weeks.  That said, unlike the Pats, the Bills are plenty good enough to come back without the opponent trying to give the game away.  

I'm trying to show you that just because someone starts off hot, doesn't mean it will continue.  Whether or not it's self inflicted, it just shows you that to determine that we would have gotten blown out based on a half quarter of action is pretty crazy.  Not saying it's you but there are people who thought the game was over.

Yes, we aren't the Pats.  We have a much better offense to keep up with the Bengals.  Burrow throws picks too.

They don't have to implode two weeks in a row, we could have gotten hot too.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

The way it looked to me was that the Bengals were going to crush the Bills. Plus they were playing dirty AFC North football. The guy who rolled Allen's ankle, the way Taron Johnson was ground into the turf, the guy who tried to jump over White and kicked him; these were extra physical plays that looked like they were intentionally trying to hurt the smaller, injury-ridden Bills. I don't think you can let a quality home team like the Bengals slice through you at the beginning of the game like you can the Bears or others. The Bengals will not come crashing down to earth with reality like the Bears did in the second half. Burrows was picking apart the Bills D and he made it look easy. 

Sadly, I agree with you. 

However, one thing about this team is it's ability to weather the storm and win close games. This team does know how to win.  

The Bengals offense would have been difficult to stop with Hamlin and Johnson being out. 

26 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It had the feeling of a game that we were about to be blown out in.

Obviously things can change quickly but that’s the feeling I had when play stopped.

I didn't get that feeling because I felt like the Bills O would score. 

I did feel like the Bills D was going to have major difficulty stopping the Bengals O. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Very true but at least you can admit the game wasn't an ideal start for the Bills. Especially, playing on the road against an elite team, elite QB, and a dynamic WR core. 

Sure no one knows the final outcome but the beginning surely wasn't encouraging. Can we agree on that? 

Of course I was not happy with how easy they moved the ball but thats what you get when you play an elite offense.  The Bills would have adjusted.  Cinci would not have scored every drive.  It was always up to our offense to keep pace and our defense to make a few key stops.  Thats how these games will usually go.  Look at our KC playoff game last year.  Its the same for the Bengals. Its up to their offense to keep pace and their defense to make a few key stops. Thats the type of game you get with two super bowl contenders.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Well I never said that, so… ok.

But yeah the Patriots didn’t lose 2 defensive starters before the end of the 1st quarter either.

You're definitely alluding to it lol.  "Context" after 8 offensive plays.

So that's the difference?  Pats didn't lose two starters and that's why they could come back?

The Pats came back with only scoring one offensive TD.  Are we not built to come back?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm trying to show you that just because someone starts off hot, doesn't mean it will continue.  Whether or not it's self inflicted, it just shows you that to determine that we would have gotten blown out based on a half quarter of action is pretty crazy.  Not saying it's you but there are people who thought the game was over.

Yes, we aren't the Pats.  We have a much better offense to keep up with the Bengals.  Burrow throws picks too.

They don't have to implode two weeks in a row, we could have gotten hot too.

I dont disagree, as perhaps you missed my last sentence... "That said, unlike the Pats, the Bills are plenty good enough to come back without the opponent trying to give the game away."

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

My pushback would be that the Bills season-long data would tell you they adjust.   For better or worse.. that's the Bills Defense this year. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You're definitely alluding to it lol.  "Context" after 8 offensive plays.

So that's the difference?  Pats didn't lose two starters and that's why they could come back?

The Pats came back with only scoring one offensive TD.  Are we not built to come back?

Well that’s a pretty big deal. Losing 2 of 12 defensive starters (when you’re already down 1, so really 3 defensive starters out) is a huge deal against a top tier defense.

Comparing that to a healthy Pats defense with one of the greeters defensive coaches in history is odd to me.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

I dont disagree, as perhaps you missed my last sentence... "That said, unlike the Pats, the Bills are plenty good enough to come back without the opponent trying to give the game away."

No I read that and I agree.  That's why its crazy to me to think that people thought this game was already heading to a blow out.

It might have, it might not have.  It's why you play 60 minutes.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

No I read that and I agree.  That's why its crazy to me to think that people thought this game was already heading to a blow out.

It might have, it might not have.  It's why you play 60 minutes.

It wasn't going to be a blowout lol

when's the last time the Bills got blown out

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

My pushback would be that the Bills season-long data would tell you they adjust.   For better or worse.. that's the Bills Defense this year. 

I don't disagree with this comment, that said the Bengals DC is perhaps the best in the league with halftime adjustments - thus at the least there would had been some offset.

The Bengals really wanted to show the prime time audience who they are.

Building up to the game you see the words by Mixon, they seemed to feel disrespected as being team #3 in the AFC mix despite being the reigning AFC Champs. 

It was a very physical game - Taron injury and evaluation, Josh being rolled up on and then obviously Damar's serious injury.

As a fan I am very glad McDermott is our coach, as a human and leader. Remember the Dolphins coaches lip service thoughts on Tua? 

My thoughts are that we can't fully evaluate this game with less that 10 minutes played in the first quarter - I just wish the Buffalo Bills players and staff are allowed to recover and process what happened as necessary and I am a very proud fan of the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 2