Ohio State vs Georgia - CFP thread

Simon

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, both Big Ten teams were heavily out coached . 

Have to disagree with you on OSU.  I thought Day called a great game against a loaded and always dangerous Georgia team.  Stroud's lack of blitz recognition and being too content to kick from around the 30 were what killed them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GaryPinC said:

Have to disagree with you on OSU.  I thought Day called a great game against a loaded and always dangerous Georgia team.  Stroud's lack of blitz recognition and being too content to kick from around the 30 were what killed them.

Yes, it's too harsh on Day. Dawgs brought their C game on defense, but part of that was OSU had them flummoxed for much of the game.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

True, I’m probably being a little harsh on Ohio State coaching. I think the final series left a bad taste. The last two calls before the field goal weren’t good imo, but I suppose the overall game plan was good to hang with Georgia.  

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, it's too harsh on Day. Dawgs brought their C game on defense, but part of that was OSU had them flummoxed for much of the game.

Fair, I agree the Dawgs brought their C game on defense, and it took Stroud having the game of his life to hang with them. I shouldn’t completely dismiss coaching because those two factors. I think the emotional element clouds my analysis with Big Ten football. I’m just tired of Big Ten teams inability to beat the big boys in the playoffs, with the exception of the OSU champions in 2014. OSU at least showed up to play last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Fair, I agree the Dawgs brought their C game on defense, and it took Stroud having the game of his life to hang with them. I shouldn’t completely dismiss coaching because those two factors. I think the emotional element clouds my analysis with Big Ten football. I’m just tired of Big Ten teams inability to beat the big boys in the playoffs, with the exception of the OSU champions in 2014. OSU at least showed up to play last night. 

I live near Athens. You may conclude my own sympathies . . . and if you look at the early recruiting results, Bama and UGA were #1 and #2 on five star recruits. I think Alabama got 22, Georgia 19. I can't remember how many OSU got, but Michigan I believe had 5. There's just a tremendous imbalance there, so it's an uphill battle for the non SEC Conferences. The transfer portal has balanced things out a bit, but it doesn't obviate the recruiting advantage: college football is king in the South.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don't agree that Georgia brought their C game on defense, OSU was just that good.  Kirby Smart even said post-game OSU probably should have won.  Day was masterful at keeping them off-balance.  

OSU was equal to UGA last night, just unlucky.  Michigan's performance (poor coaching and preparation) were more typical of why the Big10 under-performs and is disrespected.

If Day moves forward coaching like this, I don't think Michigan wins 2 years in a row anymore.  Harbaugh's coaching is not adaptable enough and lacks depth.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That looked like the same UGA defense that got beat against Bama in the SEC championship game last year. They weren’t able to get pressure for most of the game from their Dline. 
OSU looked very prepared and focused. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

What's the difference between him and Fields ? 

Fields is a great runner. Stroud literally does not run. Last night was like the 2nd time he tucked and ran all season. They are totally different QBs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields is a great runner. Stroud literally does not run. Last night was like the 2nd time he tucked and ran all season. They are totally different QBs. 

Fields is JT Barrett

Stroud is Dwayne Haskins.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I live near Athens. You may conclude my own sympathies . . . and if you look at the early recruiting results, Bama and UGA were #1 and #2 on five star recruits. I think Alabama got 22, Georgia 19. I can't remember how many OSU got, but Michigan I believe had 5. There's just a tremendous imbalance there, so it's an uphill battle for the non SEC Conferences. The transfer portal has balanced things out a bit, but it doesn't obviate the recruiting advantage: college football is king in the South.

Good post, college ball has definitely been king in the South for many years, but their complete domination of the sport seems more recent. I’d love to be down south on a fall Saturday. It looks like a great time, and being an SEC fan would be a blast. I just long for the days of competitive conferences across the country. The narrative is no longer interesting, the SEC is clearly the best, and has nothing more to prove. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Georgia was the best team all year.  OSU had them down then they choked away the game after the half.

StetsonIV is clutch.  

One dirty hit won it for UGA plain and simple. Had what happened to Marvin happened to Stefon you'd scream bloody murder.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Now they should play against each-other in the “all state, choke artist- you blew it bowl” Michigan just stepping all over themselves from start to finish against an inferior team and Ohio state squandering an inexcusable late multi score lead. Just absolutely horrendous coaching from Harbaugh all day and Ohio state should be ashamed of letting that one slip.

That’s what I thought. From 930 w a 4 and 6? Down two 13 / 2 scores. Harbaugh punted. Cost them 3.5 minutes off the clock. Then on their td drive. Lost another 1.5 mins w just mind numbing clock running / no hussle. 

• Simon unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Now they should play against each-other in the “all state, choke artist- you blew it bowl” Michigan just stepping all over themselves from start to finish against an inferior team and Ohio state squandering an inexcusable late multi score lead. Just absolutely horrendous coaching from Harbaugh all day and Ohio state should be ashamed of letting that one slip.

Agree, I softened my stance on Ohio State coaching after some posters pointed things out, but Harbaugh was horrendous. It seems like much of Big Ten fandom have resigned themselves to being fans of an inferior conference. I’m hearing a lot of “they’re the best” sentiments when referring to Georgia. It’s almost has if beating another power five conference team is unexpected. Georgia is the better team, but it doesn’t mean Ohio State didn’t fold. Michigan was just straight up pathetic. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Great college quarterback

I don’t think he will be a franchise guy in the NFL

Yes, he’s an amazing college QB, but his weaknesses are the type of things that make pro QB’s fail. There’s an NFL GM somewhere who will overlook that and pay the price. The first play that comes to mind is the hospital ball that knocked Harrison out of the game. OSU might have won without that play. The QB needs to throw that ball out of bounds, not loft a

balloon into the back of the end zone. It all works out in college, but I’m not sure if his decision making will work in the pros. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Yes, he’s an amazing college QB, but his weaknesses are the type of things that make pro QB’s fail. There’s an NFL GM somewhere who will overlook that and pay the price. The first play that comes to mind is the hospital ball that knocked Harrison out of the game. OSU might have won without that play. The QB needs to throw that ball out of bounds, not loft a

balloon into the back of the end zone. It all works out in college, but I’m not sure if his decision making will work in the pros. 

He was trying to throw the ball away 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was trying to throw the ball away 

I’m sure he was, but you need to get the ball out of play regardless, that’s Zach Wilson type stuff in the pros. A sack is better than a floater when you lack the arm strength while falling back. I think he’s a great player, I just don’t see a bright NFL career. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stroud just might be a better passer and we now see he can run. 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

One dirty hit won it for UGA plain and simple. Had what happened to Marvin happened to Stefon you'd scream bloody murder.

That's a joke, right?  they choked it away, just like they did to Michigan.

The hit was a hard one with the shoulder--ruled not targeting because it wasn't.  That was the end of the 3rd Q--which finished with OSU up by 2 TDs.  They would score 3 points the rest of the game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fields is JT Barrett

Stroud is Dwayne Haskins.

Every year it's, "This OSU QB is different and a much better prospect than the old OSU QB."

Cardale Jones was nothing like JT Barrett who was nothing like Braxton Miller who was nothing like Dwayne Haskins who was nothing like Justin Fields who was nothing like CJ Stroud.

OSU is a bust QB factory.  These guys all play with NFL top tier WR talent, and struggle against tomato cans like Northwestern. At least Michigan fans know their bums like JJ McCarthy have no shot in the pros.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That is one of the worst, whiny sore-loser takes I've ever read. :lol:

Harrison tried to catch the ball and steal a TD on an intended throw away.........he subsequently got hit hard and entirely legally.

I'm for taking all unnecessarily violent hits out of the game........but the hit Damar Hamlin laid in the end zone a couple weeks back was dirtier than that..........and accurately ruled a foul..........and it also prevented a TD.  

Were you screaming bloody murder about that legitimate targeting foul?    Fock no because it benefited your cause.    Don't be ridiculous. :doh:

What a bunch of sore losers you Ohio people are...........your adopted team choked the game away and the kicker would have missed the final kick from extra point distance.........you got nothing to complain about.

• Like (+1) 6

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Every year it's, "This OSU QB is different and a much better prospect than the old OSU QB."

Cardale Jones was nothing like JT Barrett who was nothing like Braxton Miller who was nothing like Dwayne Haskins who was nothing like Justin Fields who was nothing like CJ Stroud.

OSU is a bust QB factory.  These guys all play with NFL top tier WR talent, and struggle against tomato cans like Northwestern. At least Michigan fans know their bums like JJ McCarthy have no shot in the pros.

I’m not sure why it doesn’t seem possible to be an Ohio State fan, yet admit your QB’s struggle in the pros. College and the NFL are separate beasts. The advantage these guys have at OSU with their receives and o line is huge. They outmatch most of their opponents, it’s opposite of Allen’s situation at Wyoming. Marvin Harrison Jr is going to be an incredible pro, and it was clear against the Bulldogs that no one in college can cover him. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not sure why it doesn’t seem possible to be an Ohio State fan, yet admit your QB’s struggle in the pros. College and the NFL are separate beasts. The advantage these guys have at OSU with their receives and o line is huge. They outmatch most of their opponents, it’s opposite of Allen’s situation at Wyoming. Marvin Harrison Jr is going to be an incredible pro, and it was clear against the Bulldogs that no one in college can cover him. 

I’m not sure either but it’s uniquely hilarious to hear it every other year. Bama fans and Georgia fans know their dudes are backups at best for the most part. Clemson fans knew that Watson and Lawrence were special talents but DJ was a bum. 

Watching Bucks fans trip over themselves to explain why the next Cardale Jones could be a franchise QB in the NFL because of 3 games in college playing with future first round WR’s is one of my guilty pleasures.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That is one of the worst, whiny sore-loser takes I've ever read. :lol:

Harrison tried to catch the ball and steal a TD on an intended throw away.........he subsequently got hit hard and entirely legally.

I'm for taking all unnecessarily violent hits out of the game........but the hit Damar Hamlin laid in the end zone a couple weeks back was dirtier than that..........and accurately ruled a foul..........and it also prevented a TD.  

Were you screaming bloody murder about that legitimate targeting foul?    Fock no because it benefited your cause.    Don't be ridiculous. :doh:

What a bunch of sore losers you Ohio people are...........your adopted team choked the game away and the kicker would have missed the final kick from extra point distance.........you got nothing to complain about.

That hit looked legal to me too. And I am not a homer for either team. 

I just felt he led with his shoulder and did what you do to try knock the ball free. It was a big bit.

It was a great game, where Georgia lost contain and allowed a long run by Stroud to set Ohio up for a makeable kick for the win... that they missed.

Both teams played like they belonged there and it came down to the wire. It is tough to walk away from the wrong side of a close loss.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So how do these deals work ?

There are agencies that handle athletes just like professional athletes.  You approach them with a pitch, they tell you how much it costs to do that and for how long, you haggle a little, and you either have a deal or you don't.  The one specific one I know about cost 25k for less than an afternoon of the athlete's time to shoot a commercial. The company then had the right to use Bennett's name, image, and likeness in that commercial until the expiration of the deal which was 1/1/23 at 12:00am.  The company also got some autographed merch to distribute however they wanted to.  Company bought the stuff.  Bennett signed it.  There's a Stetson Bennett autographed UGA hat somewhere in my house right now from that day.  As I said in the OP, the agency approached the company with an offer to extend the current NIL through the Championship game next week for an additional 60k. For one week of time.  I get it, it makes sense, and they were smart to structure the deals that way. I don't think the company is going to do it but I'm sure some of his other NILs will.  He's already made over a million dollars on NILs. Good for him. Why shouldn't he?

You do not get the right to use anything related to the school, name, logo, mascot, anything like that. That would be a separate deal with the University and I'm pretty sure you cannot combine those two elements (school and NIL agreement athlete) in one thing but I'm not positive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Stroud just might be a better passer and we now see he can run. 

He’s probably a better pure passer and processor  and he *can* run but seems to really hate to do it. He had a ton of chances to run this year and refused to take them. Just not part of his game and has taken criticism for it. He’s plenty athletic just doesn’t tuck and run when there are open lanes. Maybe that was coached into him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Well I don’t think fields has show himself to be a franchise quarterback yet either… Great runner and athlete… Very strong arm

Just struggles to actually play quarterback between the hashmarks… he doesn’t process that fast and is slow through progressions… doesn’t trust his eyes… Tends to take off if his first 2 reads aren’t available 

Great physical make up but the other areas lacking 

I think Stroud is further along as a passer mentally than fields … he is accurate and pretty poised… can throw with some velocity or touch 

Where I think He will struggle is Going from a high-octane wide receiver friendly offense to the NFL … Guys we’re always open… It’s not always like that in the NFL

He has a tendency to key on defenders and bring them to the party … That didn’t lead to a lot of picks in college… but it will in the pros 

His drop backs could be more crisp and efficient as he has had scissor feet on his drops which has effected his delivery occasionally 

he also Has a varied released point for no reason sometimes… Sometimes it goes back to his mechanics… Usually it’s nice and compact … But sometimes it becomes concave… Which makes him sail the ball

overall I don’t think he is a cant miss franchise QB but he is very talented with the ability to develop into one.. But for the purpose of this thread if I had to say yes or no will he be a 12 year franchise quarterback… I lean to no

I like him more than fields tho

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a joke, right?  they choked it away, just like they did to Michigan.

The hit was a hard one with the shoulder--ruled not targeting because it wasn't.  That was the end of the 3rd Q--which finished with OSU up by 2 TDs.  They would score 3 points the rest of the game. 

A shoulder to the head IS STILL A DIRTY PLAY... like I said, if it was Stefon you'd be pissed off.

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

A shoulder to the head IS STILL A DIRTY PLAY... like I said, if it was Stefon you'd be pissed off.

It wasn't dirty.  If any Bills DB on the roster lit up a WR like that you would need a Kleenex..

2 minutes ago, par73 said:

Stroud was great-- they needed a few more yards for Ruggles, whose range is not exactly great. The loss of Harrison for the entire final quarter was devastating (and why wasn't that targeting?????).

A 14 point lead in the 4th Q is "devastating"?

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It wasn't dirty.  If any Bills DB on the roster lit up a WR like that you would need a Kleenex..

A 14 point lead in the 4th Q is "devastating"?

I said the loss of Harrison for the final quarter was a huge loss to the Ohio St. offense.

10 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

As many times as I watched the replay, it wasn't a head shot of any kind that I could see in the slo mo replays I saw. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.