Texans LT Laremy Tunsil Wants to be Highest Paid Tackle

EmotionallyUnstable

Yea Tunsil is a good left tackle. He is an elite pass blocker. He has given up 3 sacks in the last 3 seasons. For comparison, Dion Dawkins who is a very good pass blocker in his own right has given up 3 this season (and 13 in the same 3 year period). But he is an average run blocker and that is partly his lack of "want to". Maybe playing for a contender that bit of his game would unlock?

He isn't Bhaktiari, Trent Williams, Terron Armstead or Penei Sewell but after those four guys (and maybe Slater and Stanley one is hurt the other hasn't quite re-found his elite level since being hurt) there isn't anyone I'd take ahead of Tunsil. And he is a fair bit younger than those first three. 

The market is just the market. The next top 10 type guy at a spot has the leverage to re-set the market. Put it this way... I'd rather give Tunsil $25m AAV than give the likes of Grant Bolles, Cam Robinson and DJ Humphries the $17m AAV that they are on. If I was Dion's agent I'd be on the phone asking how the hell my guy is paid less than those bums. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I thought this was interesting.

As we look ahead, many posters (myself included) see the offensive line as a top priority in off season.

With a guy like Tunsil (albeit a LT) hoping to reset the market, it’ll be interesting to see how this could impact what the market and then what the Bills will eventually do to address interior concerns. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35335774/texans-laremy-tunsil-wants-new-deal-reset-tackle-market

Shout out to the Schnowman for coming in at the 14th highest paid LT this season, and showing up as a stout player. This was a good deal for the bills. 

Dawkins is getting paid right about what he should be. He’s an average LT.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Why would Tunsil think a team needs to pay him top 10 QB money, to make them eligible to min 2 games for a whole season. Could a big time tackle in the draft, on a rookie deal, be worth $25 million a year.

Darrisaw [Vikings] total rookie contract is 13.3MM for 4 yrs. He's 23. He is a first rounder so will get paid in year 5.

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Darrisaw [Vikings] total rookie contract is 13.3MM for 4 yrs. He's 23. He is a first rounder so will get paid in year 5.

Is the difference between Darrisaw and Tunsil worth 20 million a year with the Texans winning 2 games? That’s my point.

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's allowed 1 sack all year and only 12 pressures.  He's a top tier tackle.  

But his team sucks. Where's he gonna go if nobody wants to pay him?

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think the more interesting question is whether he wants to be both the highest paid Tackle AND a Texan. If he’s as good as so many say he is I’d think he’s dying to get out of Houston first, and then see about the money second. 

Thank You... +1

29 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Why would Tunsil think a team needs to pay him top 10 QB money, to make them eligible to min 2 games for a whole season. Could a big time tackle in the draft, on a rookie deal, be worth $25 million a year.

Hey, it worked in MIA so it should work in HOU. Guy is good no doubt. Reminds me of another PIA tackle who left us to have a career in PHI. Thankfully, someone else has to deal with this clown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

A tackle on a bottom tier team without a quality QB sets the market?

If Tunsil convinces Houston to pay it, only have one question to ask?

Who is higher?

He may want to go talk to the owner of the Browns !! 

He's an above average run blocker and an elite pass protector. He would be the best OL on our roster by a wide margin. He's not the best, but easily a top 5 LT and still 28 years old. I'm sure Beane will be kicking the tires to see if it's the right deal for us. He could be the biggest name added to our roster if he comes to Buffalo, but we'll see. Beane made Morse the highest paid C so it's a possibility and Buffalo is an attractive destination now.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But his team sucks. Where's he gonna go if nobody wants to pay him?

Thank You... +1

A 28 year old left tackle entering his prime?  He'll have plenty of suitors. 

The Texans currently hold the #1 draft slot.  If they are smart, they'll lock him up and focus all of their attention on the QB position.  

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I thought this was interesting.

As we look ahead, many posters (myself included) see the offensive line as a top priority in off season.

With a guy like Tunsil (albeit a LT) hoping to reset the market, it’ll be interesting to see how this could impact what the market and then what the Bills will eventually do to address interior concerns. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35335774/texans-laremy-tunsil-wants-new-deal-reset-tackle-market

Shout out to the Schnowman for coming in at the 14th highest paid LT this season, and showing up as a stout player. This was a good deal for the bills. 

I have never liked players who are on losing teams and declare that they want to be paid higher than anyone at the position. Where is the "I want to win" commentary? Jason Peter 2.0

They can shift around $$$ and make it look like he is the highest paid LT without investing too much at the position. They can basically give him the same contract Williams got, with another $5-10M guarantees. Then they can spread things out over that span. It's really not that hard, unless Tunsil is being difficult trying to force their hand to do something irrational. If he is? Just trade him to a team willing to pay him, recoup what you can rather than releasing him for nothing, and move on to the next one. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.