If you are current Directv subscriber is todays announcement gonna move you away from the provider?

Xwnyer

3 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Hope so 

The NFL announced on Thursday morning that, starting in 2023, Sunday Ticket will be available only through YouTube. It will be an add-on package for YouTube TV, and a standalone option for YouTube Primetime Channels.

I have been evaluating the streaming services and for my family I like the HULU, ESPN+, DISNEY+ for $70.  Only problem is I just paid for DISNEY+ on DEC2 for a year and I dont think I can be refunded that even prorated.

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really wish that you could just subscribe to one team like they let you do with the MLB TV app. 

Nothing says they wont but nothing says it will save lots of money either if they do.  People wanting to watch their team is probably 90% of that package.  THey need to make money on their $2Bil/year investment.  You will be paying if you want it

7 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

No.  I need the Bally Channel to watch the Mavericks, Rangers,and the Stars.

It'll probably be a wash.  My DirecTV bill will drop since there'll be no more Sunday Ticket. However I will have to subscribe to YouTube to see the Bills games.

Stunning just stunning 

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

No.  I need the Bally Channel to watch the Mavericks, Rangers,and the Stars.

It'll probably be a wash.  My DirecTV bill will drop since there'll be no more Sunday Ticket. However I will have to subscribe to YouTube to see the Bills games.

you don't need youtube TV. Will be able to get it on youtube prime. Log in to youtube and buy the Ticket.....from what I've read

• Like (+1) 2

We have been streaming tV for about 6 years now.  Too far off the road to get cable.  So I've looked into options carefully for TV and internet.  The best deal with the best service I've found for internet is Verizon 5G wifi.  $25/month for 50mbs and it's reliable.  add that to $65 for youtube TV and Its much less than most people pay for cable with similar features.

I'm not going to dump DTV right away, but what sucks is that I've received sunday ticket free for at least the last 10 years either by playing the annual 'threaten to cancel service' game or in recent years being offered it as a loyalty gift without having to call and haggle. I've actually had pretty good experience with their customer service that a lot of people say is horrible.

Going forward I'm sure Youtube will offer some form of new user discount and promotion for having sunday ticket in 2023, but beyond that probably going to be back to paying $400 a year for it like the old days which is the bigger issue unfortunately.

• Agree 1

I started the YouTube TV five-day free trial today. So far, I'm not that impressed. A lot of channels that I don't care about ... or care for. And the basic package doesn't scratch all my itches:  4K TV costs an extra $10.99 a month, movie channels are extra, too.  And that's the case with my DirecTV subscription as well as most cable packages. But as far as being able to get Sunday Ticket, the devil is in the details: Depending on whether I can get Sunday Ticket without being forced to pay the $64.99 monthly fee for YTTV, I might just switch from DTV to the DTV streaming service.

I live in florida. Lightning storms have killed 12 main recievers of mine, and fried two tvs.. service wont with with hdmi surge protectors in place. It took them 4 YEARS to figure out what was causing the issue. 

That being said, they USED TO BE great! Now? they're gone. Cancelling it as soon as the season ends. Cant WAIT! 

On 12/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, Xwnyer said:

I was really hoping that current DTV sat subs would be able to still get NFLST via Sat feed however announcements today appear to make it exclusive offering from YTTV.

If you are a current DTV subscriber will you continue?  For me it looks like a very easy decision to walk away.  I moved in middle of October and kept the sat subscription so I could continue to access NFLST via the ST App.  My HOA provides spectrum Internet and cable as part of our base fees so I was in No hurry to install dish on new home since NFLST a is the main reason I went to DTV in 1996.  

I personally hate this decision since I a think the directv hardware is great, fast switching, whole home DVR, PIP and many other features that do not exist in any of  these streaming services that I am aware of.

wondering about others will you stay or will you go?

Direct TV offers little for the money I pay. I was getting the package for free every year, so I stayed. So, as you said, it's an easy decision to walk away. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, notwoz said:

I started the YouTube TV five-day free trial today. So far, I'm not that impressed. A lot of channels that I don't care about ... or care for. And the basic package doesn't scratch all my itches:  4K TV costs an extra $10.99 a month, movie channels are extra, too.  And that's the case with my DirecTV subscription as well as most cable packages. But as far as being able to get Sunday Ticket, the devil is in the details: Depending on whether I can get Sunday Ticket without being forced to pay the $64.99 monthly fee for YTTV, I might just switch from DTV to the DTV streaming service.

seems like you will be able to get Sunday Ticket without youtube TV.  DTV streaming is much more expensive than youtube with fewer channels. If you believe reviews, it's rated kinda low

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

seems like you will be able to get Sunday Ticket without youtube TV.  DTV streaming is much more expensive than youtube with fewer channels. If you believe reviews, it's rated kinda low

and the 4k is currently a non factor.  There's very little content.  save your money.

• Like (+1) 1

The key will be how much the a la' carte sunday ticket add on costs vs. total cost YTTV and the sunday ticket included.  This will determine what the new main TV source will be- DTV, YTTV or Digital Cable.  

Interested to hear any info on pricing as this thread continues.  

On 12/23/2022 at 5:12 AM, newcam2012 said:

I have DTV and it's too expensive. I'm not tech savvy and wondering which streaming device is best for my needs. Looking for some advice. Basically I watch sports. Love the NBA and NFL network channels, along with watching basketball on TNT and Football anywhere. Like the golf network and NHL network too. I'm not in Buffalo so I do like my local network channels for news and Laker games. If I ditch DTV will I lose my ability to watch these channels? 

They have all of that.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA45qdBhD-ARIsAOHbVdHGZYXdM-RfLowv-an3b6LFlVMahtYeVRVm4x8iFP94hBTRFl7hsn0aAn8uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#panel-0

Only channels I watch that are missing are NHL and A&E. I just started free trial yesterday. Not bad at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, mjt328 said:

Curious for anyone that knows...

Will I be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket by itself now?  Or will I need to have an annual subscription to YouTube TV too?

Personally, I refuse to pay that much monthly for television service. 

I prefer to use 2-3 streaming services at a time, and rotate them periodically.

I would be willing to spend money for Sunday Ticket alone.  But I'm not paying $80-90 per month to get all the other channels too.

I read a report that said you’d be able to just subscribe to NFLST without being a YouTube TV subscriber (which I already am anyway, have been for 2 years). 

That was always my biggest gripe. No matter how much money I was willing to throw at DirecTV, I could not purchase the service without full-time TV service. Archaic. So happy that they’re making this change!

2 hours ago, 4th&long said:

I got rid of dtv two  years ago, it was getting to be way too much money for what you got. I have had you tube tv since then. It’sa god service. Nothing exciting but reliable. It’s more about your Internet provider. You got to have good Internet.

Good internet doesn’t seem hard to find anymore, though. Readily available pretty much anywhere, although you’ll want to upgrade from the base-level service offered in most cases. Google Fiber is 1GB up and down for $70 a month. Can’t beat it.

9 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I read a report that said you’d be able to just subscribe to NFLST without being a YouTube TV subscriber (which I already am anyway, have been for 2 years). 

That was always my biggest gripe. No matter how much money I was willing to throw at DirecTV, I could not purchase the service without full-time TV service. Archaic. So happy that they’re making this change!

Good internet doesn’t seem hard to find anymore, though. Readily available pretty much anywhere, although you’ll want to upgrade from the base-level service offered in most cases. Google Fiber is 1GB up and down for $70 a month. Can’t beat it.

i stream without buffering (even 4k on Netflix and Amazon) with 50 mbps from Verizon wifi -$25 a month.  It's widely available.  No installation.  plug and play.

20 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

The key will be how much the a la' carte sunday ticket add on costs vs. total cost YTTV and the sunday ticket included.  This will determine what the new main TV source will be- DTV, YTTV or Digital Cable.  

Interested to hear any info on pricing as this thread continues.  

I would expect it to cost about the same as it does now. Only thing is I doubt we can call Google for discounts like we did with directv

Some of you have terrible negotion skills I have only paid 99 bucks a year for the NL package on Dtv got 50 bucks off every month w free HBO, reasonablely priced when you do this.

Call in ask for a customer retention rep and they work your bill down and can get multiple monthy discounts if you call in and negotiate.  So to say they have horrible customer service is silly.  The satellite goes out all the time arguement, on occassion with high thumdercells but snow nope never.  

Will be interesting to see for sure moving forward with youtube TV

36 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

So far this year I have had to watch the Bills only 3 times using NFLST versus using local network or national games. If they continue to be good expectbthe same so if I am onlywanting the bills games 300$ is steep the single team option be nice but likely I will still pay full price since I like to choose the games I watch when not watching the Bills.  I haven’t paid for NFLST since about 2000 by getting deep discounts and retention gifts.  The most my DTV bill was since 2000 was 109$ that’s for tops tier without movie channels that’s because they don’t discount NHL Center ice.

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

Key word here is "could". Anyone can say that about most anything really. I'll believe it when/if this is announced as set in stone.

"King also noted YouTube TV could provide a "single-team option" for fans, providing an opportunity to see only one team's out-of-market games while paying a cheaper cost."

On 12/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, ILBillsfan said:

Some of you have terrible negotion skills I have only paid 99 bucks a year for the NL package on Dtv got 50 bucks off every month w free HBO, reasonablely priced when you do this.

Call in ask for a customer retention rep and they work your bill down and can get multiple monthy discounts if you call in and negotiate.  So to say they have horrible customer service is silly.  The satellite goes out all the time arguement, on occassion with high thumdercells but snow nope never.  

there's a yearly thread on this. Most of us have done this.

It's going to be a cost/analysis decision for me.  

1st.  I have COX internet here in Tucson, AZ.  I'm paying $117.49 per month for Gigablast which does NOT have unlimited data.  I'm capped at 1280GB per month.  As of right now not exclusively cutting the cord, the most I've used was 900 GB per month.  This includes my family watching Netflix/Hulu/Online Games.  I'm curious if I could get away with staying at the 1280GB per month and keeping my monthly internet at $117.49.  If I add unlimited internet, it's $49.99 a month, which would balloon to about $167.48 per month for internet usage.  

I'm currently paying $263.32 for DirecTV while not on a contract.  I did this purposely because I knew about the Sunday Ticket change.  I have the Xtra package (220+ channels) plus HBO Max.  We have two boxes, but now the boxes aren't really needed with the streaming change they came up with finally.  I think DirecTV now realizes they cannot go without this feature, and they only blocked it because they knew ST subscribers weren't leaving as long as they owned the rights to carry the games.  

YouTube TV does not have regional sports, which does suck for many people.  For me, it's not important because I'm in Tucson, AZ and the only two blacked-out games I'll have to worry about are the Sabres/Coyotes.  I think I can manage to find two crappy streams to watch those games, and a lot of the time, I'll be attending the games anyways (didn't go to the game in Arizona this year, because I went to the Bills/Dolphins game).  

DirecTV needs to figure out how to drop its prices significantly.  I would only consider staying if they drop their prices to rival that of YouTube TV.  The ONE THING that DirecTV has over YouTube TV is there is a delay and isn't truly "live."  YouTube TV will have about a 15-30 second delay compared to cable/satellite.  That bothers me because I like to go on Twitter during the games and look for injury updates.  Sometimes, the game would be spoiled for me because I do that.

If DirecTV cannot lower its prices significantly, I will switch to YouTube TV and cut the cord entirely.  They have two weeks to figure it out, because as soon as the season is over, and I have paid for the Sunday Ticket entirely (they didn't allow me to switch from a six-month payment to a one-time payment because the season already started), I will be calling DirecTV to grab their equipment and disconnect my service.  

DirecTV is at a critical point in its business.  They either need to change what they're doing significantly, or they will be filing for bankruptcy VERY shortly.

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

Key word here is "could". Anyone can say that about most anything really. I'll believe it when/if this is announced as set in stone.

"King also noted YouTube TV could provide a "single-team option" for fans, providing an opportunity to see only one team's out-of-market games while paying a cheaper cost."

Correct, there's a lot of things they could do. 

On 12/24/2022 at 8:41 PM, CLTbills said:

Depends on where you live.  My father lives in the Mark Twain National Forest area in Missouri, and his top-of-the-line internet service I think is 50 Mbps.  Unfortunately for my father, he might be screwed.  I'm currently looking at alternative options for my parents, including Starlink.

On 12/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, ILBillsfan said:

It's hard to negotiate with a service rep about the service being interrupted when 95% of the year it's blue skies.  I rarely have an electric bill ever since I threw solar panels on my roof.

9 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

It's going to be a cost/analysis decision for me.  

1st.  I have COX internet here in Tucson, AZ.  I'm paying $117.49 per month for Gigablast which does NOT have unlimited data.  I'm capped at 1280GB per month.  As of right now not exclusively cutting the cord, the most I've used was 900 GB per month.  This includes my family watching Netflix/Hulu/Online Games.  I'm curious if I could get away with staying at the 1280GB per month and keeping my monthly internet at $117.49.  If I add unlimited internet, it's $49.99 a month, which would balloon to about $167.48 per month for internet usage.  

I'm currently paying $263.32 for DirecTV while not on a contract.  I did this purposely because I knew about the Sunday Ticket change.  I have the Xtra package (220+ channels) plus HBO Max.  We have two boxes, but now the boxes aren't really needed with the streaming change they came up with finally.  I think DirecTV now realizes they cannot go without this feature, and they only blocked it because they knew ST subscribers weren't leaving as long as they owned the rights to carry the games.  

YouTube TV does not have regional sports, which does suck for many people.  For me, it's not important because I'm in Tucson, AZ and the only two blacked-out games I'll have to worry about are the Sabres/Coyotes.  I think I can manage to find two crappy streams to watch those games, and a lot of the time, I'll be attending the games anyways (didn't go to the game in Arizona this year, because I went to the Bills/Dolphins game).  

DirecTV needs to figure out how to drop its prices significantly.  I would only consider staying if they drop their prices to rival that of YouTube TV.  The ONE THING that DirecTV has over YouTube TV is there is a delay and isn't truly "live."  YouTube TV will have about a 15-30 second delay compared to cable/satellite.  That bothers me because I like to go on Twitter during the games and look for injury updates.  Sometimes, the game would be spoiled for me because I do that.

If DirecTV cannot lower its prices significantly, I will switch to YouTube TV and cut the cord entirely.  They have two weeks to figure it out, because as soon as the season is over, and I have paid for the Sunday Ticket entirely (they didn't allow me to switch from a six-month payment to a one-time payment because the season already started), I will be calling DirecTV to grab their equipment and disconnect my service.  

DirecTV is at a critical point in its business.  They either need to change what they're doing significantly, or they will be filing for bankruptcy VERY shortly.

I have one more payment in y six month installment due Jan 9 gonna call and cancel on the 8th assuming Bills will be on local that day. If not one more month and I am gone was hoping they could keep NFLST As part of a deal with Google but not looking likely.  I get spectrum as part of my HOA also I have enough of the channels I need for free

5 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

I have one more payment in y six month installment due Jan 9 gonna call and cancel on the 8th assuming Bills will be on local that day. If not one more month and I am gone was hoping they could keep NFLST As part of a deal with Google but not looking likely.  I get spectrum as part of my HOA also I have enough of the channels I need for free

My daughter watches stuff like NickJr, so we’ll see how all that affects them.  It’s looking REAL bleak for DTV right now.  They should have seen this coming for about two years, and should have made their prices comparable with streaming services like YTTV.  I’m calling them and telling them if I can’t have everything I have for $80 per month and not a dollar more, I’ll be leaving.  I’ll gladly pay $15 more per month over YTTV to get a no delay feed and preventing me going over that 1280 GB per month limit

I'm canceling after the season,  can't wait to get rid of them, way too expensive. Nothing they offer will keep me after how much I've been charged over the years and reps screwing up discounts. Company went steeply downhill after AT&T bought them and stopped investing in developing their technology and interface. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelling direct tv after the Sabres game tomorrow. Center ice free preview until the 10th I think. It’s going to feel real good dropping from $250 a month to $110 with streaming and high speed internet.

It’s like Christmas Eve all over again, so excited.

Edited by JDubya76

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.