I thought 10-3 would feel better...

Inigo Montoya

12 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

After today’s win I wasn’t super excited TBH. The Bills feel like a very flawed team. With Von and Hyde out, it’ll be on the offense to lead us to the Lombardi trophy, but they haven’t looked great in 6 weeks. As long as they continue to score one more point than the other team week after week, we’ll win it all, but their current play doesn’t instill confidence and I feel like I’m just waiting for the inevitable disappointment. But hey, win or lose, I’m here for it! 

THIS is exactly why 10-3 does not instill confidence. 

I pray we beat the Phins on Saturday but am not certain today's effort could post a win against KC or Bengals teams.

Regardless or play calling, JA is not hitting targets. THAT is a problem that will kill us in the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, boco357 said:

They have the best strength of victory of playoff teams and hardest strength of schedule tied with Vikings.  

Yea but they only beat the Jets by 8 points.... so really that equates to 0-16 and the first overall pick. 

Remember when it was "we never win 1 score games" and I said "yes we do, we didn't in 2021, it was a complete anomaly" well now we are 5-3 in one score games this year and the SAME people are moaning that we aren't blowing teams out more. Crazy talk.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

You continue to make excuses for the other teams. Denver has a good offense on paper? Cool, how well he that worked out for them this year. The Bills beat a better team yesterday by more than the Chiefs did but you fail to acknowledge that. Do we all want to see every game like the Titans or Steelers games, of course, but that’s not reality. 

Yes the Bills have things to fix, but so does every team. It’s fine to be critical, but some of your arguments are nonsensical. I don’t care at all if they don’t ply to their potential as long as at the end of the game the Bills have more points than their opponent 

What team was at home & what team was on the road?  

I used Denver as just an example and that KC did what they had to do against them.  Maybe not the best example, but not going to apologize for it.  Denver showed a lot of pride.

Also when the Chiefs needed to close the game vs. a very good defense, what did they do????  They got 4 first downs and ran out the clock.  What did the Bills do to close the game vs. NYJ.  Took a safety, forced a fumble  after a nice drive (50/50 proposition at best), 3 and out, allowed a FG, 3 and out and then stopped them.  

Again I'm happy the Bills are 10-3 (rather they be 13-0), just concerned about their play.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 2

To me it feels more like the ‘93 Super Bowl Bills than the ‘90 and ‘91 teams. Sure, they’re winning games you’d expect them to but they just don’t look as hungry as I’d expect them to be. I’m praying that the better analogy is that if a typical NBA playoff contender that coasts through the season picking up wins along the way knowing the real season starts in the postseason. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but they only beat the Jets by 8 points.... so really that equates to 0-16 and the first overall pick. 

Remember when it was "we never win 1 score games" and I said "yes we do, we didn't in 2021, it was a complete anomaly" well now we are 5-3 in one score games this year and the SAME people are moaning that we aren't blowing teams out more. Crazy talk.  

Again the back door 8 point 1 score stat (Cleveland & NYJ).  BTW 8 points is two score in my book (a TD and 2 point convert😝).  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Again the back door 8 point 1 score stat (Cleveland & NYJ).  BTW 8 points is two score in my book (a TD and 2 point convert😝).  

Your book can say whatever it wants. Let's go by the actual book, eh?

As for the back door one score game... fine. Well let's see you judge every one score game in the entire league since McDermott arrived by that standard, for all 32 teams, and then we can make a proper data supported conclusion. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I used Denver as just an example and that KC did what they had to do against them.  Maybe not the best example, but not going to apologize for it.  Denver showed a lot of pride.

Also when the Chiefs needed to close the game vs. a very good defense, what did they do????  They got 4 first downs and ran out the clock.  What did the Bills do to close the game vs. NYJ.  Took a safety, forced a fumble  after a nice drive (50/50 proposition at best), 3 and out, allowed a GF, 3 and out and then stopped them.  

Again I'm happy the Bills are 10-3 (rather they be 13-0), just concerned about their play.  

The Jets have a really good team especially the defense. The Bills have things to clean up but as they say, "A win is a win is a win". I live in NJ, and I can tell you the Jets treated the games vs the Bills as their personal Super Bowl. They got up for games against the Pats and Fins also, but they really got fired up to play the Bills since they are the best team in the division. One of the best in the conference. We are getting everybody's best shot.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I simply pointed out a division rival, a defense as good as the Jets who have lost 8 one score games (two in OT).  Mahomes I think was the first QB to throw 300 yards vs. them too.

In retrospect the Detroit win was better then it looked (and still the Bills did not play well that game).

We all want the Bills to win the SB.  To point out they look off is a fact.

You didn't simply point that out.  You made the statement "KC took care of business" but when the Bills beat anyone in a close game, the Bills don't take care of business....they struggled.

So did the Chiefs take care of business or did they struggle against the Broncos?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Your book can say whatever it wants. Let's go by the actual book, eh?

As for the back door one score game... fine. Well let's see you judge every one score game in the entire league since McDermott arrived by that standard, for all 32 teams, and then we can make a proper data supported conclusion. 

Don't have the time, but we all know that the last minute TD/FG where then a on side kick (Cleveland) is the only way to win is not the same as last minute defensive stop or fg (yes Det, KC & Baltimore wins vs. NYJ, Mia & Minn losses).

So yes 3-3 in my book.😝

I really, really hate to channel Dick Jauron at a time like this, but what he said is 100% accurate:  it is hard to win in the NFL.

The Bills have been hit with multiple and continuous challenges this season and have still managed to make it to this point.  They have as good a chance to hoist the Lombardi trophy as any team in the league.

Too many people were “expecting” blowouts each week after the hot start.  Every team goes through peaks and valleys.  The Bills aren’t perfect, but no other team is as well.

KC nearly blew a 27-point lead to the awful Broncos and lost earlier this year to the Colts.  Miami is suddenly in a free fall.  Baltimore is down to their 3rd QB.  Dallas needed a 98-yard drive to beat the lowly Texans at home.

Enjoy the ride.

Go Bills!!!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Also when the Chiefs needed to close the game vs. a very good defense, what did they do????  They got 4 first downs and ran out the clock.  What did the Bills do to close the game vs. NYJ.  Took a safety, forced a fumble  after a nice drive (50/50 proposition at best), 3 and out, allowed a GF, 3 and out and then stopped them.  

So the Chiefs needed to close the game out after giving up 28 points....good job Chiefs.

The Bills only allow 12 points to the Jets.  Bills struggled.

It doesn't matter if the Bills are home and away.  You will complain if the Bills don't dominate but it's okay for other teams not too.  WTF.

2 hours ago, LondonBill said:

I don't know how many other teams get 10 and 3 with Bills fixtures. It's been playoff quality teams in almost every game. One of them under a glass roof that might as well have been played on the sun. PLUS the injuries. Including Allen's elbow.

For all the bleating, I think our men have stood up incredibly well. Turnovers have been highlighted and reduced. Run game is being stopped. Whenever a major problem has arisen it's been sorted quite quickly. Receivers are of course a problem. But we keep finding a way - and you can't ask for much more than that. 

I feel the champion is coming from the NFC this year. And nothing about the playoffs is going to be easy. But whoever said winning the big show was easy?  It needs earned, on and off the field. 

Put it this way - the worst record opponent the Bills have played this year is the LA Rams who are 4-9 and that was week 1 against the reigning Superbowl champion. Of the 7 teams who currently have fewer than 5 wins the Bills have played 1 - the Rams - and played them at their healthiest. 

In contrast the Chiefs have played 4 games against that bottom 7. 

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So we beat a fired up division foe by 2 scores, and the Bills win is less impressive than the Chiefs surviving in Denver?

If the Jets don’t get that safety, the game likely ends at 20-7.  The Bills had a comfortable lead and were cruising to a win. That safety gave the Jets life and fired them up.   But then the defense did what they needed to extinguish that spark... force a fumble. 

Edited by Dan

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You didn't simply point that out.  You made the statement "KC took care of business" but when the Bills beat anyone in a close game, the Bills don't take care of business....they struggled.

So did the Chiefs take care of business or did they struggle against the Broncos?

They were up 27-0, let them back in the game and when they needed to run out the clock they did & on the road.  

Mind you it hasn't been smooth sailing for them either, but their offense has been fine.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't have the time, but we all know that the last minute TD/FG where then a on side kick (Cleveland) is the only way to win is not the same as last minute defensive stop or fg (yes Det, KC & Baltimore wins vs. NYJ, Mia & Minn losses).

So yes 3-3 in my book.😝

I'm not disputing that all 1 score games are no equal. But I don't care about your book unless you can judge your book on a proper evidentiary basis against the same criteria for every other team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm not complaining about where the BIlls are sitting at right now, I just imagined 10-3 would feel a whole lot better than it does. 

I think it just means that we all recognize the task @ hand. Anything short of the Lombardi will ultimately be a disappointment this year. The only way it would feel better now, is if we were blowing people away every game, week in and week out, and that's sorta fantasy land to do all season long to some very good teams.

I like the fact that national media has been writing us off the last couple of weeks. These tight and gritty wins through adversity are good for a team (as someone brought up in another thread). I think we'll start hitting our stride after we beat Miami on Saturday and start peaking right as we're rolling into the playoffs.

This is the way. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So the Chiefs needed to close the game out after giving up 28 points....good job Chiefs.

The Bills only allow 12 points to the Jets.  Bills struggled.

It doesn't matter if the Bills are home and away.  You will complain if the Bills don't dominate but it's okay for other teams not too.  WTF.

I also mentioned SF & Philly, but you're fixated (and others) on KC, who we can agree are the Bills biggest rivals.  Should I have said Cincy?

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They were up 27-0, let them back in the game and when they needed to run out the clock they did & on the road.  

Mind you it hasn't been smooth sailing for them either, but their offense has been fine.

What would you reaction have been if the Bills were up 27-0 and allowed a last place team to come back? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know this may sound crazy, but I have this feeling, for some reason, that we're not showing our full hand with our offense.  I could definitely be wrong, but just a hunch.  It feels like a vanilla offense the last few weeks.  May be saving it for playoffs.

Also with injuries, I feel McDermott is not taking any chances putting a player out there at 50-65 %.  Think he knows it's a long season, and let's these players heel to as close to 100% as possible before putting them back on the field.

This is just an opinion, may seem out there, but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, wagon127 said:

So if the Bills play the Jets in the playoffs, who wins?

Since the game would be played in OP, I would say the Bills. But it would be another tough game. Look at the two games they played already. Gone are the days the Bills will score 30 - 40 points on them and blow them out. I think the Jets are the 2nd best team in the division because of that defense. They get a QB then they will really be a pain in the ass to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He doesn't believe in this...he's admitted it.

even with his very first post in this tread, he started with the nonsense.  the opinion if fine, but he's definitely using a different standard when judging the bills vs every other team in the league.  

After beating the Jets today the Bills are 10-3 and in the lead in the AFCE and sitting as the #1 seed in the AFC.  If you had taken a poll here at the start of the season and asked if we would take those stats heading into week 15 of the season, I think it would be 80/20 in favor of it.

Recognizing the Bills are sitting in a very good position right now, why does it feel like this has been a really rough season?

Maybe it's the constant parade of injuries?  The bad loses to the Phins, Jets, and Vikings?  Maybe the fact that we haven't seen the Bills' offense find that gear that they ended the season in last season?  Or maybe it's because the Bills have left themselves no room for error going forward if they want to win the division and the #1 seed?

I'm not complaining about where the BIlls are sitting at right now, I just imagined 10-3 would feel a whole lot better than it does. 

Maybe stick for the Broncos at 3-10 they are claiming a moral victory for not getting blown out by the Chiefs that will make you feel better I guess 

15 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

I know this may sound crazy, but I have this feeling, for some reason, that we're not showing our full hand with our offense.  I could definitely be wrong, but just a hunch.  It feels like a vanilla offense the last few weeks.  May be saving it for playoffs.

Also with injuries, I feel McDermott is not taking any chances putting a player out there at 50-65 %.  Think he knows it's a long season, and let's these players heel to as close to 100% as possible before putting them back on the field.

I was thinking about this yesterday as well and agree. I think next Saturday night we might see a glimpse out what the playoffs O will look like. It's really great to see our D play at such a high level though and that must stay constant here out. 

Good teams find ways to win.

Edited by Real McNasty

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's absolutely adorable so many fans think we can win playoff games like we won today. We will get destroyed if we can't run the ball nor protect our qb. 

So many playoffs games are like yesterdays game. The two that the Bills played in last year were exceptions to that rule, but look at the Bengals run to the Superbowl.

1. They gutted out a win against the Raiders at home where Carr had a chance to tie the game with 1st and goal from the 3.
  2. Came from behind against the Titans where it took a defensive play to win the game with a last second FG. It was the defense that won that game more than Burrow and Chase. This game was 19-16.
  3. Got destroyed in the first half against the Chiefs, made a defensive HT adjustment, and still needed OT to win with a FG. Again, it was the defense that won that game more than Burrow and Chase.
  4. In the SB, the Rams won by 3 and needed a last minute defensive stop to win it. 

Every single one of those games was won by one score. Not a blowout in sight. The same thing with the Rams SB run, with the exception of the blowout of the Cards in the first round. My point is that close-fought games decided by a defensive play is playoff football more than double-digit blowouts. And to answer your question, neither the Rams nor the Bengals could run the ball in any of those games and everyone knows that the Bengals did about as bad a job protecting Burrow as an NFL team could possibly do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

How do you imagine you'd feel if the Bills were 9-4, a game behind the Chiefs and in a dead heat with the Bengals and a date in Cincy still on deck?

How do you imagine the fans of the rest of the teams in the AFC feel after the Bills 'only' beat the playoff contending Jets by 8 points and nearly ended their QB?

A little perspective is in order here. Everyone else in the conference is still chasing the Bills, warts and all.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

There is some truth to this. Yesterday, the Bengals ran a flea flicker out of a heavy package for a long TD. It was a really nice play where everything looked like a run with only a single TE running a route. He was a wide open for the TD. Great play. But they used it in week 14 against the Browns and now it is on film for all teams to study.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

How do you imagine you'd feel if the Bills were 9-4, a game behind the Chiefs and in a dead heat with the Bengals and a date in Cincy still on deck?

How do you imagine the fans of the rest of the teams in the AFC feel after the Bills 'only' beat the playoff contending Jets by 8 points and nearly ended their QB?

A little perspective is in order here. Everyone else in the conference is still chasing the Bills, warts and all.

Agreed. It’s the NFL and it’s a week to week league. Just look at yesterdays scores around the league. I’ll take 8 point wins all the way through the SB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

I know this may sound crazy, but I have this feeling, for some reason, that we're not showing our full hand with our offense.

We definitely have stuff we haven't shown, because we've been good enough to win most of our games without it.  Some of it doesn't even require us to snap the ball.  That fourth-down play yesterday, for example.

Good teams and good coaches use the regular season to put stuff on film and set things up.  In the playoffs we'll come out with a look and do something completely different out of it when we need to.  And it'll work.

Bad teams and bad coaches do ***** like the Browns did yesterday with Brissett.

After beating the Jets today the Bills are 10-3 and in the lead in the AFCE and sitting as the #1 seed in the AFC.  If you had taken a poll here at the start of the season and asked if we would take those stats heading into week 15 of the season, I think it would be 80/20 in favor of it.

Recognizing the Bills are sitting in a very good position right now, why does it feel like this has been a really rough season?

Maybe it's the constant parade of injuries?  The bad loses to the Phins, Jets, and Vikings?  Maybe the fact that we haven't seen the Bills' offense find that gear that they ended the season in last season?  Or maybe it's because the Bills have left themselves no room for error going forward if they want to win the division and the #1 seed?

It's called high expectations. 

Those three terrible losses were by a combines 8 points.  This team is really good and has not peaked yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If the Bills were up 27-0 and allowed a last place team to come back where we had to squeak out a win, what would your reaction have been?

32 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

definitely this. It’s all about the playoffs and this makes so much sense to me. Our staff are wily enough to play this game too 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.