Chiefs at Bengals Game thread - 4:25 PM Kickoff

BuffaloBill

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You can't possibly prove that that was the correct decision. The simple answer is that they are now tied instead of winning by 3. Doesn't look either team is going to run away with this one. Those points matter.

I am not arguing about this specific decision.

But man cmon. You can't say a decision is wrong just because the result is. What matters is what nets more points in the long run.

• Agree 1

Just now, stevestojan said:

Romo has gotten to the point where he’s blowing Mahommes after routine plays. They just did a replay of a run a of the mill short completion and Romo “just look at his eyes.” 

Yeah!!! He was watching the receiver the whole way🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Romo has gotten to the point where he’s blowing Mahommes after routine plays. They just did a replay of a run a of the mill short completion and Romo “just look at his eyes.” 

Never liked Romo announcing.  Takes the fun out of watching and he more than blows the Rat on every play.  

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

It's a quarterback driven league and Mahomes has the best start of any QB in history... It's only natural that the announcers are going hype the good QBs in general and Mahomes specifically.

now, I still wanna see him get crushed and lose...

Edited by Nephilim17

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Very easy

Oh the 4th down decision bot. Where can I find the calculations used to come up with those weirdly specific numbers?

I also like how even the bot shows that a successful FG equates to better win percentage than a failed go for it. I would take the sure points over the 35% failure chance every single time in that situation. I mean jeez the bot shows a 4% win probability difference between the decisions and you think it's really that easy? I mean I don't inherently just believe these random numbers I'm throwing out there, but even by the bot's own logic it makes sense to take the 3 points.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Oh the 4th down decision bot. Where can I find the calculations used to come up with those weirdly specific numbers?

I also like how even the bot shows that a successful FG equates to better win percentage than a failed go for it. I would take the sure points over the 35% failure chance every single time in that situation. I mean jeez the bot shows a 4% win probability difference between the decisions and you think it's really that easy? I mean I don't inherently just believe these random numbers I'm throwing out there, but even by the bot's own logic it makes sense to take the 3 points.

Do you seriously not understand this relatively simple calculation?

WIN% is just EV basically

simple example is 2pt vs PAT: success rate of PAT (1 pt) is 94.1 so EV of a PAT= .941

success rate of a 2pt try (2pts) is 49.4% so EV of a 2pt attempt= .988

WIN% is just these EVs calculated wrt to down distance and time left in game over the recorded logs of NFL plays in same circumstances

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Never liked Romo announcing.  Takes the fun out of watching and he more than blows the Rat on every play.  

Romo on Mahomes....Charles Davis on the Jets...I thought these clowns were supposed to announce a game impartially?  Takes away from the whole broadcast. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you seriously not understand this relatively simple calculation?

WIN% is just EV basically

simple example is 2pt vs PAT: success rate of PAT (1 pt) is 94.1 so EV of a PAT= .941

WIN% is just these EVs calculated wrt to down distance and time left in game over the recorded logs of NFL plays in same circumstances

This is painful watching you try to explain this. You’re doing god’s work, my friend. 

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If only Boyd hadn’t dropped that TD

Oh crap gonna be holding against the Bengals

it's the  woulda coulda shouldas that drive a person to drink Beck. YEP

Edited by muppy

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So... a team should always go for 2 points no matter what? I don't buy that.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Except the bot doesn't actually know the conversion percentage on that play against that defense in that 4th and short situation. That's where the whole thing falls apart. You can't just use recorded logs of other matchups against other teams and act like that number is gospel.

I get what the bot is trying to do but it's method doesn't pass basic scrutiny. It's just a thing the entire internet has decided to believe in for no reason.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The long run of what? A team might have one or two of those decisions per game.

Happy, if you need to ask this question then I am sorry you don't understand the basics of decision making.

You make the decision which has higher EV. Unless the data used by twitter account which @GoBills808 quoted are completely wrong (which I really doubt), it's a no-brainer decision to go for it. And I think it's fairly obvious even without maths.

But I rest my case here, it's fine if you believe otherwise.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

So... a team should always go for 2 points no matter what? I don't buy that.

Except the bot doesn't actually know the conversion percentage on that play against that defense in that 4th and short situation. That's where the whole thing falls apart. You can't just use recorded logs of other matchups against other teams and act like that number is gospel.

I get what the bot is trying to do but it's method doesn't pass basic scrutiny. It's just a thing the entire internet has decided to believe in for no reason.

This is all results oriented thinking

it's a very common way of looking at outcomes but leads to inefficient decision making

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.