What are your thoughts on John Murphy as our radio announcer?

Einstein

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He gives some of the worst interviews I’ve ever heard. He asks the most obvious questions but also has a habit of answering them himself. 

”Coach, I’d imagine you’re unhappy with the loss, no?”

”Protecting the football is important and I imagine you don’t want to see your team with that many turnovers, right?”

What I can't stand about his interviewing style is that he NEVER, EVER asks a follow-up question based on the answer he just got, so as to dig a little deeper and get more information out of the subject.

I always imagine he is quietly reading his list of questions anticipating his next question while the first is answered, so he doesn't hear the response anyway.

He also, consistently, produces some of the worst sports announcing calls I have ever heard.  I mean on a regular basis, he gives us things like:

"It's thrown down to the end zone and it is..........caught.......no dropped..........wait intercepted........no ITS A TOUCHDOWN!  IT IS A TOUCHDOWN FOR THE BUFFALO BILLS!"

I have NEVER heard a professional announcer make calls THAT POORLY.

He does seem to be incredibly good at eating food.

The guy has turned into a blimp since his Channel 7 sports desk days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

I listen to a lot of the Bills games online or on SXM, and like the continuity with Murph as well as his excitement at big moments, but I agree he has his limitations. My biggest complaint is he has trouble calling running plays. You can rarely tell from his inflection whether the back has just ripped off a 20-yard scamper or got dropped for a loss and have to rely on the crowd reaction before he will finally say what happened. That may just show how hard it is to do the job as well as Van Miller did--though Van had his problems with calling passes caught that were not, misnaming players and yardage, etc. It's not an easy job. 

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is an example of what i’m talking about with Murph.

This play was AMAZING. Allen throwing a TD with barely a butt-hair separating his feet from the sideline paint and Murph calls it like this:

His call in no way captures the magic of this play

that is soooo bad.  Haha.  The only thing I can think of is maybe JM thought Allen was out of bounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that is soooo bad.  Haha.  The only thing I can think of is maybe JM thought Allen was out of bounds.

This is the norm for him. He is devoid of emotion for insanely important or impressive plays

I don’t listen to any other local play by play guys. Buffalo was spoiled with Van and Rick for so long. Unsure if Murph is bad. I just assumed he is what the rest of the country gets, he’s likely average.

When I hear the replacements for Miller and Jeannette I really appreciate the originals. We had it pretty good here. 

• Like (+1) 1

Both Murph and Wood seem like good guys.  I feel I've learned about offensive line play from Eric.

But as announcers. Bland. And Murph's voice cracking has become un-listenable to me.

I miss
Van's "FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS!!!!"

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I hate his long pauses when it's obvious what just happened.  Did he have to wait 3 seconds to know that Gabe caught the pass?

Basically anyone who thinks Murphy is good didn't get to listen to Van Miller.  If you had, you would know he is trash in comparison.

Murphy is awful. I had to listen to the Chiefs game on the radio and I actually listened to the Chiefs feed (and I hate those guys) after the first quarter because Murphy sucked so bad. I could not get a vision in my head about what was going on in the game. Zero inflection to imply a big play or a 1 yard gain. Numerous screw ups on passes complete/incomplete. Numerous times he doesn’t mention the formation or personnel changes. Flat out gets our own guys names wrong.  How this guy keeps his job I have no idea.

Edited by RunTheBall

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I don’t listen to any other local play by play guys. Buffalo was spoiled with Van and Rick for so long. Unsure if Murph is bad. I just assumed he is what the rest of the country gets, he’s likely average.

When I hear the replacements for Miller and Jeannette I really appreciate the originals. We had it pretty good here. 

Ted darling wasn't bad as the original TV voice of the sabres and then I always liked Lorentz and his commentary and back stories from the French connection days.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.