What are your thoughts on John Murphy as our radio announcer?

Einstein

27 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

Tasker is underappreciated.

He's entertaining in his own way but is an acquired taste.

Normally, when I see people here criticize Tasker, it is for the work he did ay CBS. He has admitted that early in his CBS days, he did try hard to separate his Bills loyalties from his professional responsibilities to appear non-biased.  Personally, I think he is great on One Bills Live. He's funny, insightful and he just seems like a really good guy. He isn't the smoothest, but real.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I can't understand how people can think Murph is even mediocre. It's hard to diss a guy who's devoted his career to the Bills, but he is an absolutely abysmal play-by-play guy. How someone can take every drop of emotion out of an exciting football game is beyond me. Some of his calls of big plays are just absolutely baffling in their lack of emotion or awareness.

Someone needs to replace this guy, pronto.

49 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I haven't lived in Buffalo since the late 80's, so I don't really listen to the local broadcasts all that much... sometimes, on the app, just to put myself to sleep, I would listen to the replays... I honestly think Murph heard a lot of criticism about how dull he was, so a few years ago, he started that screaming thing....I must say, it sounds so forced, and kind of ridiculous.  I almost can't believe he still does it...like he was looking for some sort of "signature" and he settled on that?  Yuck.  Otherwise, as others have said, I think he's pretty bland...not terrible, but not at all exciting either.  

Btw- I like Van Miller too, but it is funny to see everyone getting nostalgic for him. When I was a kid, I remember him not being particularly liked amongst the Bills fan-base..before it was a nation, or "mafia".

Now granted, I moved away from Buffalo in 1977, but I remember Van more for the Braves than the Bills. I thought he did a much better job with basketball… and when it came to sports, he was far below looking up at Azar. There is something though to be said for longevity!

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Maybe i’m opening up a can of worms by asking, but why do you say he’s not a good person?

I've had displeasure of crossing paths with him a lot since I was younger living near East Aurora. Neighbors and people that work with him have similar stories. He thinks he's the greatest person on earth and everyone needs to bow to him and get out of his way or he will plow right through you(literally). If he thinks youre beneath him he treats you like you are. I've made comments here before about him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

John Murphy is alright as Buffalo Bills announcer but he is no Van Miller but who is? Van Miller, Ted Darling and Rick Jeanneret your not replacing there talent level because announcers are trained different in school today. There more television conversationalist with the audience instead of in a radio play by announcers in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

Now granted, I moved away from Buffalo in 1977, but I remember Van more for the Braves than the Bills. I thought he did a much better job with basketball… and when it came to sports, he was far below looking up at Azar. There is something though to be said for longevity!

Loved listening to Braves games on the radio. That is how I best remember him as well.  He would wear crazy outfits to the Aud...like he was a white Walt Frazier. 

I never really thought that highly of him as a Bills play by play guy, though I do admit, watching old video replays, his voice is perfect for those times... "Kelly...looking...looking...looking". He did know how to make you feel like you were there at the stadium.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

We have had a lot of coaching/weather threads lately so I figured this may be a welcome distraction.

Pat McAfee posted the radio call of the Vikings winning (sorry, I wish there was a different example) and I was blown away at the quality, tempo, and enthusiasm of the Vikings radio guy. In my opinion, it puts Murph to shame.

It seems like Murph is always sputtering and second guessing and the calls have little enthusiasm. I vaguely remember the amazing Hyde INT in the playoffs last year went something like “Mac throws it deep. And it’s caught. Oh wait. Maybe Hyde got it? Yes, Hyde got it, interception.”  Just … meh.

What is everyone else’s opinion? Do you agree with my take or are you a Murph fan?

Anyway, if you have the stomach for it, this is a great radio call to listen to, even if it was at our expense:

This is great but what’s with the eyebrows the size of Minnesota? 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I used to work in local media and had dealings with him … he’s a Richard. 

Oh wow.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I've had displeasure of crossing paths with him a lot since I was younger living near East Aurora. Neighbors and people that work with him have similar stories. He thinks he's the greatest person on earth and everyone needs to bow to him and get out of his way or he will plow right through you(literally). If he thinks youre beneath him he treats you like you are. I've made comments here before about him. 

That’s too bad. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree 1

Those minnesota guys make me cringe.  Don't want overweight advanced age loser cheerleaders.

Murphy is ok to poor.  He doesn't paint the picture well.  There can be a pass and you don't know if it was 4, 10, 20 yards until way later.  Down, distance are sometimes forgotten.  His tendency to repeat words as filler when something big is happening is annoying too.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 3

Never been the biggest fan of Murph. He does alright but he doesn't create the excitement and drama like other broadcasters do. And almost anytime he tries to sound excited his voice goes real high then cracks a bunch. 

I like Eric Wood. I think he's doing a pretty good job. I listen to him post game mostly tho. 

But usually, I typically watch the games on mute. After years of hearing the talking heads I just can't do it anymore. I can't stand how they have to exaggerate on so many things and act like routine plays or even just decent plays are some sort of amazing act of foosball mastery.  And they have their talking points and things they need to highlight and sometimes they just drone on and on about the same crap. Or they come up with some real obscure stat like, "On all days ending in Y and when Josh Allen wears his favorite Spider-Man jammies and eats four bowls of Count Chocula and then spins a football on his left pinky toe he averages exactly 1.0033 yards per pass!" It's just...meh, I think I'm just burned out from it. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gomper said:

Murphy is ok but nobody, and I mean nobody, is better than the 49'ers Greg Papa. HOF'er still doing games in his prime.  

Greg Papa is fantastic. 

I remember when he was the radio voice for the Oakland Raiders & Golden State Warriors.

If only we could get him to be our announcer.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

All due respect, I think Murphy is terrible. I went for a 20 minute bike ride around the neighborhood with my wife and daughter last week during halftime and I listened to Murph and Wood for about 10 minutes.

I think it was a possession where Kirk threw a pick early in the 3rd quarter....I remember thinking Murph was so underwhelming the entire drive.  His call/excitement comes across in a very forced and inauthentic manner, IMO. I'm just not a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.