What are your thoughts on John Murphy as our radio announcer?

Einstein

We have had a lot of coaching/weather threads lately so I figured this may be a welcome distraction.

Pat McAfee posted the radio call of the Vikings winning (sorry, I wish there was a different example) and I was blown away at the quality, tempo, and enthusiasm of the Vikings radio guy. In my opinion, it puts Murph to shame.

It seems like Murph is always sputtering and second guessing and the calls have little enthusiasm. I vaguely remember the amazing Hyde INT in the playoffs last year went something like “Mac throws it deep. And it’s caught. Oh wait. Maybe Hyde got it? Yes, Hyde got it, interception.”  Just … meh.

What is everyone else’s opinion? Do you agree with my take or are you a Murph fan?

Anyway, if you have the stomach for it, this is a great radio call to listen to, even if it was at our expense:

Just now, Big Turk said:

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

Yeah I think that’s fair. “Meh” is how I feel about it haha.

Just now, 14774 said:

He's awful. And whether his sidekick is Wood or Tasker, makes no difference. 

I really liked Tasker as the color commentator. I know he would mess up sometimes, and maybe it’s just the nostalgia, but something about hearing him comment on the game live made me happy.

I remember whenever a fumble happened he would yell “ball!” - He explained that’s what they were taught to do on the sidelines as a player

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Murph learned under Miller and I think he takes a page out of the playbook without really capturing what made miller so great. He's got some of that old time boxer announcer in him but he doesn't have any of the pace or dynamics that made listening to a guy like miller or rick jeanneret feel like you were watching instead of listening.

As an announcer he's mediocre, as a talk show host he's near unlistenable.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Murph learned under Miller and I think he takes a page out of the playbook without really capturing what made miller so great. He's got some of that old time boxer announcer in him but he doesn't have any of the pace or dynamics that made listening to a guy like miller or rick jeanneret feel like you were watching instead of listening.

As an announcer he's mediocre, as a talk show host he's near unlistenable.

That a great way to describe Van. He made you feel like you were there watching it, rather than listening.

• Like (+1) 3

I turn down the TV and listen to GR for games.  Can’t stand the TV announcers most of the time.

That being said, murph isn’t much of an upgrade.  Misses a ton of calls, calls the wrong player, calls first downs when they are obviously short. I love when he tries to show off his football acumen, only to be corrected by Wood.  Dude is borderline terrible.

Who was the dude that filled in for him last year?

Edit: Paul Dottino.  Did a great job.

Edited by davefan66

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.