Bills defense had 12 men on the field for Dalvin Cook red zone stop in OT

Logic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/14/bills-defense-had-12-men-on-the-field-for-ot-stop-on-dalvin-cook/

The Bills defense came up with a big stop of Vikings running back Dalvin Cook on a first-and-goal from the 2-yard-line in overtime of Sunday’s game and they did it with a little extra assistance.

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said on Sunday that he thought Buffalo’s defense had 12 men on the field when they dumped Cook for a three-yard loss, but wanted to confirm it on tape. The tape showed that O’Connell was correct.

“I know it’s moving pretty fast out there sometimes,” O’Connell said, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com.

Instead of having first-and-goal on the 1-yard-line, the Vikings played on from the 5-yard-line. Kirk Cousins was sacked and threw an incompletion before the Vikings kicked a go-ahead field goal. The Bills drove into scoring position, but cornerback Patrick Peterson sealed the win with an interception in the end zone.

Sunday’s officiating crew had two big mistakes late in the game. In addition to missing the 12 men, they called a pass to Bills wide receiver Gabe Davis in the final minute of regulation a completion when he did not control the ball through contact with the ground. The replay assistant did not stop the game to review the play, which NFL senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson said they should have done.

Coaches can challenge missed 12 men on the field calls outside of the final two minutes of games or in overtime. All replays are initiated from the booth in those instances. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Monday that he thinks coaches should always be able to challenge calls and situations like the ones in Buffalo on Sunday will likely draw others to that view.

• Dislike 1

Nice job D. I'm just surprised that got missed, the way things were going to rack and ruin, that would have been extra icing on the cake.

The Davis missed call, was also poor, tbh, although at the time, it looked a great play. Bills did well to get another play off without much hanging around.

I've been with Belichick on the ability to challenge just about any call, for years. Too many mistakes seem to be made on things that aren't able to be challenged, and while having the booth look at stuff 'automatically', does remove some elements of that, it's only at the end of halves or games, that that gets done.

Coaches would still only have the same amount of flags, so there isn't going to be any difference in how often the game gets halted for challenges or timeouts.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Nice job D. I'm just surprised that got missed, the way things were going to rack and ruin, that would have been extra icing on the cake.

The Davis missed call, was also poor, tbh, although at the time, it looked a great play. Bills did well to get another play off without much hanging around.

I've been with Belichick on the ability to challenge just about any call, for years. Too many mistakes seem to be made on things that aren't able to be challenged, and while having the booth look at stuff 'automatically', does remove some elements of that, it's only at the end of halves or games, that that gets done.

Coaches would still only have the same amount of flags, so there isn't going to be any difference in how often the game gets halted for challenges or timeouts.

football gods were kind to us yesterday. we deserved karma for both of these mistakes.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

We say why don't we get the rub of the green from the refs. We did yesterday, and still managed to mess it up.

Usually that's only reserved for Green Bay, the Steelers, Broncos, & Rams. 

The Bills have become one of Goodell's favorites for sure, yay.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

We got that missed call and probably Gabe’s sideline catch too.  It wasn’t reviewed but looked like the tip scraped the ground while he was still trying to control the ball.  Two breaks and they still screw it up.

Yep.

Once McDermott makes up his mind that he wants to lose ... there's no stopping him.  

He used to be a wrestler, you know.

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There was also confusion at the end of the 4th quarter.  I know it was a kneel down by Cousins, but there were 1 or 2 defensive players for the Bills who were on the field, but couldn’t decide if they should go in or not while the ball was snapped.  Maybe the ref did not throw a flag because it was a kneel down and end of the quarter, but it appeared to be disarray on the Bills behalf. 

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yep and they also got away with an incomplete pass on that Davis sideline catch late that should have been reviewed.

So for all the people that continue to blame injuries and other nonsense on this teams current struggles time to give it up.

I like how you snuck injuries in there when that really only applies to people that blame the refs 😁 then instead of saying ‘for people that blame the refs’ you filed that under ‘other nonsense’ haha 

the ‘injuries are no excuse’ people may get a shot at a last laugh but that will be in the form of our defense getting torched in the playoffs with our starters back 

josh/the offense should’ve been able to pull these last two games out but you can’t tell me that we don’t win the last two games with some of poyer,tre white,edmunds/Milano,Rousseau in there.

I will unhappily eat crow if we continue to not look good with some of those guys back in the lineup 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Somehow this makes me feel better…the whole OT feels kind of ‘ball don’t lie’ to me now.  I’m gonna tell myself the football gods guided that last pass into petersons hands lol 

It was Gabe not adjusting his route, again. 

Double post, saftey took the high route, he was supposed to settle down under (would have been WIDE OPEN) instead he kept running deep instead of settling down.  [Per post game press conference]

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.