Are they over-coaching Allen?

Success

Sorry; I made this comment on another thread, but thought it might deserve its own.

It was just a vague feeling I had during the last game. He looked just a little more tentative, and (at least to me), it didn't seem like he was playing the game with the abandon we usually see from him.

I think it's possible the coaches saw the schedule, and saw how we looked kind of unstoppable, and realized what I think some of us fans tend to think: the only thing that can derail us this season is an injury to the QB. I think they coached him up on that, to try to stay away from risk as much as possible. He looked like that again today, to me.  Yes, he still ran, and made some big runs.  But it still didn't seem like the guy we've gotten used to seeing for a few years.

What makes Josh Allen great is that he plays the game like a kid.  He stiff arms a guy & the roll and tumble out of bounds together, and he gets up laughing.  He doesn't hesitate - he does what he needs to do.

I have re-evaluated my own stance on how he plays. I have always thought they need to protect him more, especially from himself - but I think I was wrong. I think they just need to let him be who he is.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Success said:

Sorry; I made this comment on another thread, but thought it might deserve its own.

It was just a vague feeling I had during the last game. He looked just a little more tentative, and (at least to me), it didn't seem like he was playing the game with the abandon we usually see from him.

I think it's possible the coaches saw the schedule, and saw how we looked kind of unstoppable, and realized what I think some of us fans tend to think: the only thing that can derail us this season is an injury to the QB. I think they coached him up on that, to try to stay away from risk as much as possible. He looked like that again today, to me.  Yes, he still ran, and made some big runs.  But it still didn't seem like the guy we've gotten used to seeing for a few years.

What makes Josh Allen great is that he plays the game like a kid.  He stiff arms a guy & the roll and tumble out of bounds together, and he gets up laughing.  He doesn't hesitate - he does what he needs to do.

I have re-evaluated my own stance on how he plays. I have always thought they need to protect him more, especially from himself - but I think I was wrong. I think they just need to let him be who he is.

I think you are both right and wrong here. I think they do need to protect him better by using premium resources in the o line and also allow him to be who he is. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know I replied to you on the other thread but to reiterate, I agree. We basically need to return to the approach we had with him to start the season and stick to it.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

They are undercoaching him. He keeps going for the big play even when it isn't there. That costs you games when you don't get lucky.

But he wasn’t before the bye. He was at his most intelligence as a QB for the most part.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They are undercoaching him. He keeps going for the big play even when it isn't there. That costs you games when you don't get lucky.

Didn’t seem like it today when he checked down a huge majority of the time. Here’s a tip, Devin Singletary sucks and isn’t going to make anyone miss when he gets the ball at the LOS

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Didn’t seem like it today when he checked down a huge majority of the time. Here’s a tip, Devin Singletary sucks and isn’t going to make anyone miss when he gets the ball at the LOS

Issue is he only trusts Diggs, which is a because no one else can really catch. Diggs is double covered = check down. Gabe has a 54% catch rate this season, drops way too many balls, Mackenzie has had issues all year long and Knox is having issues from his loss. The team Need OBJ or a legit #2 ASAP

OL has been an issue for years now, OG play is still terrible and RT hasn't been great either

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

There's a difference between checking down and going for underneath routes. Yes, he's checked down plenty, but he isn't targeting open receivers in underneaths routes as often as he should to make defenses play honest.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Success said:

I think he looked tentative because the Jets were able to pressure him. 

But I agree with the premise that to some extent they need to let him play. Just be prepared for the day when it comes back to bite us, cuz it will. 

5 minutes ago, hemma said:

I know you are a Coach and undoubtedly spot small stuff - Have you noticed anything different in his mechanics?

Everyone since Baltimore has played really wide high box players (edge rushers), but since KC Josh has been reluctant to step up into the pocket that is being given to him. He’s throwing off his back foot a lot more. Everything else mechanically has looked normal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen drank his own kool-aid. He just needs to focus and get back to work and forget that he is a superstar.

Josh and the team as a whole has done this the past several years. Allen continues to look unstoppable during big moments. He’s a beast during the playoffs, against KC, and most prime time games. Ugly losses happened against Jacksonville last year, and now in the Meadowlands this season. The type of game us fans would be complacent about. Allen and this team play up and down to their competition at times. I think we’ll be fine because Allen should be unstoppable in the playoffs, but we can’t lose too many games without jeopardizing home field. 

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I see Allen has been filming alot of commercials lately and I wonder if that has gone to his head.

So many times it happens too fast, you change your passion for glory.

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past, you must fight just to keep them alive

Perhaps it's the whole team...especially the offense.  They're playing around too much...dancing, kareoke, etc.  They need to get back to humble and hungry.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Issue is he only trusts Diggs, which is a because no one else can really catch. Diggs is double covered = check down. Gabe has a 54% catch rate this season, drops way too many balls, Mackenzie has had issues all year long and Knox is having issues from his loss. The team Need OBJ or a legit #2 ASAP

OL has been an issue for years now, OG play is still terrible and RT hasn't been great either

I agree with you on everything except for Knox. We have not used him on a consistent basis like we did last year. Is this because of Dorsey?

One other thing, why didn't we use Nyheim Hines as a running option today? I know that he just got here, but we needed all the weapons we could use today.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.