Are they over-coaching Allen?

Success

6 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I see Allen has been filming alot of commercials lately and I wonder if that has gone to his head.

So many times it happens too fast, you change your passion for glory.

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past, you must fight just to keep them alive

Not buying this at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Success said:

Sorry; I made this comment on another thread, but thought it might deserve its own.

It was just a vague feeling I had during the last game. He looked just a little more tentative, and (at least to me), it didn't seem like he was playing the game with the abandon we usually see from him.

I think it's possible the coaches saw the schedule, and saw how we looked kind of unstoppable, and realized what I think some of us fans tend to think: the only thing that can derail us this season is an injury to the QB. I think they coached him up on that, to try to stay away from risk as much as possible. He looked like that again today, to me.  Yes, he still ran, and made some big runs.  But it still didn't seem like the guy we've gotten used to seeing for a few years.

What makes Josh Allen great is that he plays the game like a kid.  He stiff arms a guy & the roll and tumble out of bounds together, and he gets up laughing.  He doesn't hesitate - he does what he needs to do.

I have re-evaluated my own stance on how he plays. I have always thought they need to protect him more, especially from himself - but I think I was wrong. I think they just need to let him be who he is.

No.  Josh has to keep his "$hit" together all the time or he can revert to old habits.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I didn’t notice that at all today.

Both INT’s we’re on shorter passes.

I guess it depends upon what you mean by "shorter"

2nd INT Josh threw from the 15 yd line to the 35 yd line, ~20 air yards.

Can't see the other side of the field, Allen had Cook wide open underneath.

He was under pressure when he threw, perhaps it was deflected.

1st INT was 2nd and 10 from the NY Jets 13 yard line, so there was no "deep option"

It's not so much the INTs, but there were a number of other plays where Allen appeared to have short or manageable options and chose the deepest one for an contested catch and an incompletion

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree with you on everything except for Knox. We have not used him on a consistent basis like we did last year. Is this because of Dorsey?

One other thing, why didn't we use Nyheim Hines as a running option today? I know that he just got here, but we needed all the weapons we could use today.

he has been blocking a lot more I believe

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Someone on the mother effing staff let Josh know that it is OK to step up in the pocket and also use the middle of the field.   

To be fair to Josh, the middle of the pocket did not exist much of today.  Quinnen Williams was a monster and was overpowering Morse when he wasn't shoving him back into Josh's lap for a sack.

Seems like past couple of weeks they were using 2 TE's and fullback more and it seemed to work, both with running and less DB's back to defend the pass.  Today didn't seem to see as much of that which resulted in Allen always on the run.  Granted Jets d-line and overall defense is good, but then need to account for that.

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot of what is being mistaken as tentative is due to the fact that we have a severe lack of playmakers and nobody was getting open against the Jets secondary. I saw him completely miss Shakir on a nice 8-9 yard slant but it was because he was trying to force the ball downfield which seems like the opposite of tentative. I think he needs more options and/or better play calling.

I definitely think he is tentative in the pocket. He is holding the ball too long again. You always need to worry with Josh when he is holding the ball inside the pocket. If he is holding it escaping, fine, but inside the pocket he is at his best when he is decisive and the ball is out. I will want to see the all22. Are guys just not open, are we not giving him simple reads? 

One think I think I am seeing from the tv view is fewer route concepts designed to give Josh a single defender read. It was something Daboll was excellent at designing, e.g. a shallow out and a tight end corner route.... if the defender sits on the shallow out then throw the corner route in behind to the tight end or vice versa. Not saying Josh can only deal with single defender reads either before people jump down my throat, but he is an always has been rhythm Quarterback. When he gets cooking and dialled in he is hard to stop. You have to design some of those plays to get him cooking. 

Felt like the gameplan yesterday was to involve Knox more... they targeted him 2 or 3 times early and then got away from it again. I have to believe that McDermott and Beane are telling Dorsey he has to use their expensive tight end much more than he is. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Success said:

Sorry; I made this comment on another thread, but thought it might deserve its own.

It was just a vague feeling I had during the last game. He looked just a little more tentative, and (at least to me), it didn't seem like he was playing the game with the abandon we usually see from him.

I think it's possible the coaches saw the schedule, and saw how we looked kind of unstoppable, and realized what I think some of us fans tend to think: the only thing that can derail us this season is an injury to the QB. I think they coached him up on that, to try to stay away from risk as much as possible. He looked like that again today, to me.  Yes, he still ran, and made some big runs.  But it still didn't seem like the guy we've gotten used to seeing for a few years.

What makes Josh Allen great is that he plays the game like a kid.  He stiff arms a guy & the roll and tumble out of bounds together, and he gets up laughing.  He doesn't hesitate - he does what he needs to do.

I have re-evaluated my own stance on how he plays. I have always thought they need to protect him more, especially from himself - but I think I was wrong. I think they just need to let him be who he is.

I dont think so...I mean he was running hard in the first half just like the week before.  The difference was the packers with their very talented secondary and the Jets with their up very good secondary and nasty front 7 made adjustments in the 2nd half to disrupt Dorsey's offense.  

Guys were not coming open for Allen like they had been, guys were dropping passes, and Allen made a couple errant throws as a result.  

People need to remember, the defense we are facing each week are being paid to make plays too, and they just flat out made more of them.  This is the first mini slump for the offense under Dorsey, and now we need to see how he adjusts and gets the offense back on track.  We have played 2 bad halves of football, the 2nd half of last two games, on offense.  They have plenty of tape now to see how their offense was getting disrupted and need to figure out the necessary adjustments.

Personally, I think Dorsey and the offense got used to having their way with defenses out there and have tried too much for the big plays and pushing downfield for chunk yardage.  I think they need to focus on getting guys going all over the field and spreading the ball around again like they were earlier in the season.  We have a lot of under utilized weapons on the offense between Knox, Devin, Shakir, Cook, and now Hines.  These guys can do damage all over the field underneath.  Not to mention getting Devin more carries in the run game.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Then they need to move the pocket. 

Maybe, but I don't think so. Did you watch the Rams game? What did the Rams have that worried the Bills? Strong defensive line. So the gameplan was all about the short passing game and getting the ball out early.

A competent OC would understand that DL is the Jets strength. Plays tend to have a variety of options - long, short, and mid. What you would think is that Dorsey would be trying to push finding the underneath to help negate the DL. Which I feel did happen.

What I think is happening is that Allen wanted Packers 4Q to be a time to pad his stats for an MVP run. That didn't go well, his decision-making was incredibly suspect. And it seemed to carry over to yesterday, especially after he tossed another INT on the first drive checking it down to Knox.

Mahomes had his moments in 2021, remember? I think Allen has lost a little bit of the plot. I'd prefer to think that it's just finally realizing he has a great chance to win MVP and lead this team on to greatness, and he felt that slipping away a bit vs GB and is pressing like a pitcher trying to guide everything.

But honestly - if Gabe Davis makes a play to close that game...maybe it all fixes itself in an instant. I think there are a lot of guys on this team that need to raise their level of play, most of them on offense, but some of the s*** tackling is indicative of some coasting in a part of the schedule they might have viewed as easier than before.

That was the worst game I remember from Allen since his rookie year (or maybe his sophomore).  Those two picks were hard to understand.

Josh smiles a lot in games, even in close ones when we're down.  But he didn't smile much the 2nd half against the Jets.   

I don't know if he was hurt, hungover, brokenhearted, overcoached, undercoached, angry at the play-calling...  but something was off.

18 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I see Allen has been filming alot of commercials lately and I wonder if that has gone to his head.

So many times it happens too fast, you change your passion for glory.

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past, you must fight just to keep them alive

Rise up to the challenge of your rivals.  He's not doing that.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.