Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

16 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He played poorly.  But is it Allen losing confidence or a sign of deeper issues with the Bill's O?

*  After Diggs - who is a top 3 WR in the league - who are the Bills play makers? Davis is maddeningly inconsistent and McKenzie and Kalir are not doing a good job as slot receivers. Last year Beasley alone caught 82 passes out of the slot.

*  Allen's play has hidden the deficiencies of the O line.

*  The lack of a running game is starting to take it's toll.

Hines can't get on the field fast enough.

All of this - when your QB leads the team in rushing yards, there's an issue. Knox has 20 catches, Davis 18. Too much pressure for Diggs to always be open. 

Run defense is pretty sad right now, with or without Milano. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roy Hobbs said:

All of this - when your QB leads the team in rushing yards, there's an issue. Knox has 20 catches, Davis 18. Too much pressure for Diggs to always be open. 

Run defense is pretty sad right now, with or without Milano. 

90 yards in 6 minutes to close the game. All were run plays except one. 😂😂😂

No, he's not waning in confidence or has the yips, he's just been going for the big plays instead of nickel and diming down the field and taking what the defense gives you. He was constantly looking for guys 15-20 yards down field when the Jets had 2 high safeties today. 

• Like (+1) 1

My initial thought to this thread was to dismiss it as nonsense, but he has definitely had some head scratching INT's the past few games, and I do remember a time where he was afraid to make mistakes after screwing up earlier in his career.

I don't necessarily think he's losing confidence, but he may get in his own head when things that normally work aren't.

It's on the coaches to figure out what they need to do in order to have Josh feeling comfortable and playing like we know he can

Edited by BeastMaster

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

This is why so many say Mahomes is better. When Allen is bad he's really bad. Mahomes doesn't do this on an annual basis...

Did you even watch last season and the worry over Mahomes's play and the fact that he lost to the Colts this season? Josh has no such loss.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or...we just played 2 of the better secondaries in the NFL in back to back weeks.  Jets D is one of the best units in the NFL right now with very good corners and a nasty front 7.

So maybe we shouldn't panic just yet...defenders get paid to make plays too.  Josh had an off game, the whole offense was out of sync again in the 2nd half.  

We lost to the Jags last year and then set NFL playoff records on offense.  

Sounds reasonable, but he needs to be better next week.

• Agree 1

Allen wants it too much. When he makes a mistake, he sometimes compounds it by pressing and making another.

Am I concerned about his recent play? Yes

Should he probably be past these mid season yips? Yes

Do I have any doubt about him moving forward? No

Edited by buffblue

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I think he was against the packers. He took a couple hard hits running last week. Ever since then he’s looked off big time. Today was more of the same. Bad decisions, bad throws, etc 

He’s having strength and velocity problems which tells me he either has an injured shoulder or arm and can’t feel how hard he’s throwing the ball due to painkillers, numbing, etc. 

Multiple interceptions were to receivers that were open but the ball was either thrown too light or took too long to get there. He’s lost control of his arm and strength.

It would be like kicking a soccer ball after they shot up your leg with numbing meds. You might make contact but you’d have no idea how hard you kicked it since you can’t feel it.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Simple question. How do you think Allen had played in the second half the GB game and today's game? Would like to get your input. 

You're clearly not a real fan if you ask that question.  Fairweather even.

Edited by CoudyBills
This is sarcasm you lillies
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

t's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

Wait, what?  I'm going to go look into that incident.  Didn't hear about it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.