Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Re: Allen/Mahomes

Mahomes is more consistently good/great with an elite level only Allen can match

Allen has more ups and downs in the regular season, but his ceiling is literally unstoppable - beyond what any other QB is capable of 

I think that’s fair. For whatever reason, when Josh dips, he really dips. I appreciate Mahomes has the odd off game but he doesn’t seem to stay in, or return to, a funk as long as Josh does. 

Last year is a good example - awful in Jacksonville, decent at the Jets, dreadful against the Colts, good versus the Saints, couldn’t adapt our game in the wind when playing the Patriots (not all on him), then poor in the first half in Tampa. Second half he was great, but didn’t have his best game against Carolina, turned up in the revenge at Foxborough, then the horror show against the Falcons (most similar to tonight), before an ok showing in the final regular season against the Jets. It was a real rollercoaster ride, which is perhaps overshadowed by superhuman Josh turning up in the play offs.

Then again, I’ve just had a look at Mahomes’ record last year and he only picked up a QBR of over 60 once between weeks five and thirteen so… perhaps ignore all of the above!

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

It's overreaction Sunday. He's in a mini-swoon.  A VERY mini-swoon.  6 quarters.

But, if I had to guess:  I think the coaches were thinking like me, and some other fans. We're rolling - and the only thing that can derail us is if JA gets injured. I think they are over-coaching him, and he's thinking too much.

It has caused me to re-evaluate my own position.  Josh has to be Josh.  Let him play the game the way he wants to play the game.  He's at his best that way.

I think I agree. Don’t run, slide, don’t take risks. No - that’s Josh. He’s just as likely, if not more so, to get injured in the pocket with this line. Let him go out and have fun.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I think I agree. Don’t run, slide, don’t take risks. No - that’s Josh. He’s just as likely, if not more so, to get injured in the pocket with this line. Let him go out and have fun.

Truth is he doesn’t take the amount of pocket hits many other QBs take.  

It evens out with his running.  

Where are we worried he might have week(s) long lingering injury from?  

Answer: A hit in the pocket. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Truth is he doesn’t take the amount of pocket hits many other QBs take.  

It evens out with his running.  

Where are we worried he might have week(s) long lingering injury from?  

Answer: A hit in the pocket. 

I sort of appreciate that we have tried to protect him slightly but telling him to cut down the risk taking but if it’s going to lead him into second guessing himself, and being uncertain, then forget it. It’s better to let him be himself.

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs fans are loving how this loss looks for the Bills. Predictably they’re saying Allen is nowhere near Pat’s level. To me, Mahomie is far more consistent on a game to game basis, whereas when Allen is on, he’s at least Mahomes’s equal when Mahomes has his A+ game working.

The QB I saw today play for the Bills, I haven’t seen in quite some time. It’d be different if he was under duress play after play, but he often had time and was just missing open receivers, either through bad reads or bad throws. Hopefully he’s just as hungry and committed to the game now as he was during his late season/playoff surge and the beginning of this year.

The Super Bowl is out of question if he continues to play the way he did today.

There's an important distinction to be made here tho

When you watch the Chiefs play you say what a great offense

When you watch the Bills play you say what a great QB

• Agree 3

I dunno, I'm gonna go back to something I said earlier in the post game thread. The bills always seem to have a mid season slump since McDermott has been here. Don't have an answer as to why, but it seems to happen every year. The good news is, we're still winning the division even after every other afc east team won today. The bills gotta get back on track though. A kc loss tonight would help. Maybe 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Simon said:

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

Plus does anybody remember Mahomes at Home VS Cinci in the playoffs??

As a leader of the team, he is taking the blame and not calling his players out, whether we like it or not. Davis has a% catch rate this season and that is not going to get it done. I saw another clip out there today where he was clapping his hands together to catch a pass. 

It is a very Allen and Diggs based offense, Knox is obviously struggling with his loss earlier this season and Mackenzie's one game against the pats appears to be an outlier. WR2 is a very big problem for us...

On the interception at the goal line, he didn't see the end

This call was trash

Davis had one drop early in the game that he should have had

also he is not wrong:

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Simon said:

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

Josh is my favorite player (perhaps ever - FJax is in the running too), but Mahomes does seem to have stinkers a bit less often.

Allen has had 7 multiple INT games in the last season and a half. Mahomes has 4 in that same time period. Not quite half as often but close to it.

Allen also had 9 games with 59% or less completion percentage in the last season and a half. Whereas Mahomes has 4 such games.

I still wouldn’t trade Allen for Mahomes though. Allen is Western NY through and through and I love m that.

Edited by Einstein

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I dunno, I'm gonna go back to something I said earlier in the post game thread. The bills always seem to have a mid season slump since McDermott has been here. Don't have an answer as to why, but it seems to happen every year. The good news is, we're still winning the division even after every other afc east team won today. The bills gotta get back on track though. A kc loss tonight would help. Maybe 

That's a good, common sense perspective.  I think we're more fortunate this year, because we have just a little more breathing room (where the Jags game last year set us back for awhile).

I'm still very confident, but today was a surprise.  The Jets are pretty good, though. They are not a joke.

People forgot (ignored) the Colts, Jaguars, etc. after the Chiefs playoff game. Allen was wildly inconsistent last year and it hasn’t changed. He’s an athletic monster, also inconsistent, inaccurate, and prone to turnovers. He was baffled by the Jets today. 

He’s not losing confidence. He doesn’t have the yips. He’s the same as he always was. Which just might be good enough.

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Plus does anybody remember Mahomes at Home VS Cinci in the playoffs??

This is hilarious bc the chiefs fans lord over us for 13 seconds as if they won the damn super bowl but blew 3 score lead and scored 3 points in 2.5 quarters in the AFCCG which in my opinion is a much worse let down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yea, it’s definitely a known issue.  

Players are even aware of it. 

Problem is, the season is about hosting the playoffs in Buffalo.  If a mid-season lull is why that never happens, then McD either has to learn how to win on the road or a time will come where we need to explore other options. 

Im not there.. so don’t take this as a fire McD post … but this can’t just be an “aww shucks, here we go again” type of explain it away.  

They need to come out, beat Minny and take control of this weird trend. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.