New offensive wrinkles for the Chiefs defense this week

Inigo Montoya

33 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The guards have faced better d-linemen than Jones already. The guards have been “ok” so far. Jones is a problem, but the bigger issue is the Chiefs appear to have solid d-line depth like Buffalo. Bills haven’t faced a team yet besides maybe Miami who have several capable d-linemen. 

"Ok" is being kind to the guards. They were a bit better this last game but they are the weakest part of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Maybe just cover him unlike what the Raiders did?

The Raiders only failed to cover him on the 4th of the 4 touchdown catches.  The 1st they tried to cover him in man, the second they tried to cover him in zone, the third they tried to bump him just past the line. They had no success with any of those. The route he ran on the 2nd one, I'm not sure how you defend that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

"Ok" is being kind to the guards. They were a bit better this last game but they are the weakest part of the team. 

I’m hoping time together will produce a more cohesive front. IF they struggle against the Chiefs, I wonder if at the Bye they look at shuffling Bates to LG and maybe another option at RG and Saffold moves to BU. 

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’m hoping time together will produce a more cohesive front. IF they struggle against the Chiefs, I wonder if at the Bye they look at shuffling Bates to LG and maybe another option at RG and Saffold moves to BU. 

I'd be willing to try just swapping them around at this point.... but I'm not sure either are good enough. I think that is the issue. 

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There are a few things that we haven't seen a lot of so far in Ken Dorsey's offense and I wonder if he is still just developing his playbook, or if he has deliberately kept some things close to the vest for this game versus the Chiefs this week so he can put some looks on the field that the Chiefs defense might be less prepared for.   Some of the things that we haven't seen a lot of, or any or this year on offense are;

Pre snap motion

Jet Sweeps

Empty backfield sets

Singletary and Cooks behind  / flanking Allen

Frequent screen passes

Going empty backfield and spreading out (pick your favorite five)  Diggs / Davis / Shakir / McKenzie / Singletary / Knox would be a nightmare for a defense to cover.  Shakir or McKenzie rocketing back into the backfield in motion and faking the pitch or actually taking the pitch from Allen with a full head of steam.   Moving Diggs all over the field before the snap to expose the defense and cause miss matches.  These are some of the things I hope we see more of on Sunday

Good post..I'm wondering if Dorsey took some of this out of the offense or saving it . Dabol made some questionable calls at times but was very creative designing running plays. Haven't seen this yet

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Raiders only failed to cover him on the 4th of the 4 touchdown catches.  The 1st they tried to cover him in man, the second they tried to cover him in zone, the third they tried to bump him just past the line. They had no success with any of those. The route he ran on the 2nd one, I'm not sure how you defend that. 

Trumaine, Poyer, Milano, Taron Johnson are key in blanketing him. Be physical, we’ve frustrated really good TEs before. Didn’t we hold him down in the regular season last year? 

Edited by HamSandwhich

28 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Trumaine, Poyer, Milano, Taron Johnson are key in blanketing him. Be physical, we’ve frustrated really good TEs before. Didn’t we hold him down in the regular season last year? 

6 catches, 57 yards, 1 TD.... we also used a lot of Siran Neal in the big nickel that day. He played nearly 40% of our defensive snaps. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We need to have someone hitting him when he comes off the line of scrimmage and disrupt their timing along with an effective pass rush to hurry/ sack Mahomes. I would like to see our offense use Cook of some pass routes, short or long.

• Agree 1

Just now, Sestak4ever said:

We need to have someone hitting him when he comes off the line of scrimmage and disrupt their timing along with an effective pass rush to hurry/ sack Mahomes. I would like to see our offense use Cook of some pass routes, short or long.

You can try and hit him off the line, the Raiders nearly knocked him on his ass on a play where he still scored 6. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Our best 5: Knox, Diggs, Singleterry, Davis, Shakir, McKenzie

But the shifts with sets having like Gilliam, Cook, Morris is great. Having Doyle is big, too. 

Dorsey has been rumored to love the 12 personnel package and I'm going to keep hammering this. We can't truly do this with Moris (though, he's blossoming!) but we can emulate some opportunities.

I expect Josh to have a lot of quick throws, a lot of movement with routes and timing, and keeping it more basic than we expected - including pre snap. 

It’s Doyle out for the year with an ACL injury? 

17 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

But the shifts with sets having like Gilliam, Cook, Morris is great. Having Doyle is big, too. 

Dorsey has been rumored to love the 12 personnel package and I'm going to keep hammering this. We can't truly do this with Moris (though, he's blossoming!) but we can emulate some opportunities.

I expect Josh to have a lot of quick throws, a lot of movement with routes and timing, and keeping it more basic than we expected - including pre snap. 

Doyle will need to be on sideline.  He is on IR.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/26/buffalo-bills-tommy-doyle-acl-injury-sean-mcdermott/

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm betting that Dorsey stays vanilla, at least 1st half, to see how it works out.  Save the exotic ***** for the playoffs, no need to give KC any hints about what's coming in January.

Disagree. You don't save anything for the playoffs in week 6. You play to win and call any play that gives you the best chance to win. This game could be the deciding factor for a playoff bye and or hone field advantage. It doesn't get much bigger than that. I expect coach McD and Dorsey to pull all the stops out to win. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bills2022 said:

The Bills don't need any new wrinkles.  The Bills offense is so much better than that garbage Chiefs defense. All they need to do is line up and execute. 

The keys to the Bills offensive success is giving Josh time to throw, having a running threat and some success, and not turning over the ball. As much as the Oline get maligned, I believe they are tops in the league in pass protection. Jones, Dunlap, Clark, etc will be a challenge.

I agree that if the Bills "play their game" and execute they should be successful in moving the chains and scoring. Another huge factor is how each team does once in the red zone. Tds instead of FGs will be huge. I also expect to see several 4th down calls throughout the game. I think both coaches will be aggressive and let their star QBs do what they do.  

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. You don't save anything for the playoffs in week 6. You play to win and call any play that gives you the best chance to win. This game could be the deciding factor for a playoff bye and or hone field advantage. It doesn't get much bigger than that. I expect coach McD and Dorsey to pull all the stops out to win. 

I don't think we need to "pull out all the stops" to win.  The offense is fine as is, provided we take better care of the rock and stop turning it over.  No need to tip your hand unless we fall behind and it becomes necessary.

28 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't think we need to "pull out all the stops" to win.  The offense is fine as is, provided we take better care of the rock and stop turning it over.  No need to tip your hand unless we fall behind and it becomes necessary.

I guess we will disagree. I think your premise is way off here. The Bills should do everything to win. There is no saving plays here. All plays are on the table. This holding back or don't tip your hand mentality is a recipe to lose. If the Bills get up big they should continue to throttle KC until it's plainly obvious the game is over. A big lead isn't safe against KC. Bury them with every play imaginable. In fact, I would agrue the opposite. Use a gadget, trick, unique, and new plays to go up big if that's what it takes. It's no holes barred on Sunday! 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I guess we will disagree. I think your premise is way off here. The Bills should do everything to win. There is no saving plays here. All plays are on the table. This holding back or don't tip your hand mentality is a recipe to lose. If the Bills get up big they should continue to throttle KC until it's plainly obvious the game is over. A big lead isn't safe against KC. Bury them with every play imaginable. In fact, I would agrue the opposite. Use a gadget, trick, unique, and new plays to go up big if that's what it takes. It's no holes barred on Sunday! 

I think you meant holds, although I wouldn't mind sodomizing the Chefs....  :devil:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree. I’d venture that Dorsey, McD, Frazier et al worked on things in the offseason for 2 games : LA opener and this week. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Umm who wants to tell him first?

19 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Doyle is on season ending IR

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Umm who wants to tell him first?

Doyle is on season ending IR

I know about Doyle. 

And the top 5, jeesh that was fun. Even DrD fell for that simple nonsense.  Disregardless of how you do math - that's the top 5!

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I know about Doyle. 

And the top 5, jeesh that was fun. Even DrD fell for that simple nonsense.  Disregardless of how you do math - that's the top 5!

Just having a little fun with you. Nothing personal!

I wish we had Doyle for this run.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Kelce's last 4 games against the Bills (2 Playoffs, 2 Regular Season)

Catches:  32

Yards:       336

TD:            6

He has been cooking us !!

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Kelce's last 4 games against the Bills (2 Playoffs, 2 Regular Season)

Catches:  32

Yards:       336

TD:            6

He has been cooking us !!

Regular season 2021, 6 receptions for 57 yds 1 TD. 

Playoffs 8 for 96, 1 TD with a lot of those yards coming in prevent at end of regulation. 

Sure, expand it to 4 games, but over the last 2 he’s underperformed to his expectations against us and we’ve played him well

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Regular season 2021, 6 receptions for 57 yds 1 TD. 

Playoffs 8 for 96, 1 TD with a lot of those yards coming in prevent at end of regulation. 

Sure, expand it to 4 games, but over the last 2 he’s underperformed to his expectations against us and we’ve played him well

Fair enough,..but he has 2 good games and 2 average games....I hope we get the average games from him on Sunday evening.  Go Bills.

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Fair enough,..but he has 2 good games and 2 average games....I hope we get the average games from him on Sunday evening.  Go Bills.

I think we have the horses to limit him but he is certainly elite and can have a big game in spite at times. 

I just made it home from a busy 14 hr day meetings for work since Sunday night so just opening this stuff up.

With that said, my six finger friend, I think we will see some new offensive wrinkles, like Daboll did last regular season game and will catch them off guard.

what’s more interesting is what happens different on defense that is a curious matchup.  This game is going to be riveting.  I’ve already warned my family and friends, no calls, texts, emails or smoke signals.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.