Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

Er....did you miss that Jamison Crowder just went on IR with a broken foot?

So it's a damned sure bet that Shakir will see more time than Jamison Crowder going forward.  Shakir is ahead of Hodgins on the depth chart and will get snaps going forward.

I think he did well, and likely earned himself at least a split in time with McKenzie.  He seems to be picking up the blocking, which is a huge step.  McKenzie is a willing blocker but you can't coach F = ma or height/reach and McKenzie is lacking in the m component there as well as the height/reach.

The drop, and 3 receptions on 5 targets against backup DBs don't anoint Shakir as the starter.  Put against that he looked a bit lost vs. Tennessee and got blanked. 

McKenzie may be in McDermott's Doghouse though, for his show where he said all the stuff about being unable to move and etc. which I'm sure led to him being ruled out this week.  I swear that guy is his own worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Like Gabe Davis, you saw his ability to separate from the first preseason game. 

It has translated against the starters. 

If the Bills are finally in the mind-set of Super Bowl or nothing, then I agree, no more holding players back just because they are young so that worn out veterans can play. Nothing against Jamison Crowder, but that's why his injury was a blessing in disguise, it took away the excuses. 

Diggs and Davis never come off the field, but I agree that Shakir can now rotate in with McKenzie, pushing Kumerow down the depth chart, and he's a good WR in his own right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'm not going to just bench Mckenzie forever - its a fluid spot as it was before.  Some games it might be a shakir, others mckenzie.  

It's likely to be both, splitting snaps, the way Crowder and McKenzie did.  The exact split will shift from game to game and depend upon the savvy Shakir demonstrates at filling Crowder's "find the gaps in the zone" role.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.