Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I wouldn't expect it to be either. It should be pretty much the same. They basically play a Tampa 2 defense, so edmunds has one side and milano has the other

Not true though...In Frazier scheme the middle lber is more like a shallow 3rd safety and Milano is freed up to attack more then react

Hes played really well this season.  I dont know the Bills find cap room for him.  This team is going to be making tough decisions for the next decade.  They just have to draft well.  Can't keep everyone.  If its me and it comes down to Oliver or Edmunds then Im taking Oliver.

Edited by Scott7975

18 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ranked 30th in solo tackles and 43rd in assisted tackles. No forced fumbles (have to be initial tackler to force a fumble), no fumble recoveries (isn't around the ball), no tackles for loss, no INT's.  

Yeah he's young, but so is my 23 yr old nephew and he could stand in the defensive backfield and watch the play unfold, grapple with a guard and say he did his job well.

I dont even have to look anything up to know your stats are wrong.  He had a sack, so teh "no tackles for loss" isnt true and I watched him make multiple tackles for loss in game this year on RB's too, including Derrick Henry.  

So I don't know where you are pulling stats from, but they are not correct.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont even have to look anything up to know your stats are wrong.  He had a sack, so teh "no tackles for loss" isnt true and I watched him make multiple tackles for loss in game this year on RB's too, including Derrick Henry.  

So I don't know where you are pulling stats from, but they are not correct.  

His stats this year are on pace to be the best of his career. Through 4 weeks he has:

1 sack (career high is 2 in 2018 and 2020)

2 QB pressures (career high is 11 in 2018)

4 tackles for loss (career high is 10 in 2019)

3.7% missed tackle rate (previous career best is 8.5% in 2021)

66.7% completion % given up (just a tick higher than his previous career best of 65.4% in 2019)

5.4 yards per completion given up (previous career best is 7.8 yards in 2019)

72.7 passer rating given up in coverage (previous career best 76.3 in 2019)

It isn't just the eye test. The numbers tell their own story. Tremaine is off to his best start as a pro, both in the sense of making more impact plays and in the sense of playing more efficient and consistent football. Some (though not all) of the criticism directed at Edmunds to this point in his career has been legitimate. But anyone who has any criticism of his performances this year simply has an agenda. 

• Agree 3

I think he's finally coming into his own i really hope they can find a way to keep him ! I'm not sure if it being a contract year or the fact that they drafted some other LB has given him the extra motivation to be the player they thought he would or could be this season but so far the dude is on fire in coverage !! 

2 minutes ago, T master said:

I think he's finally coming into his own i really hope they can find a way to keep him ! I'm not sure if it being a contract year or the fact that they drafted some other LB has given him the extra motivation to be the player they thought he would or could be this season but so far the dude is on fire in coverage !! 

It has much more to do with the line in front of him allowing him to move freely and confidence in knowing where he needs to be.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Hes played really well this season.  I dont know the Bills find cap room for him.  This team is going to be making tough decisions for the next decade.  They just have to draft well.  Can't keep everyone.  If its me and it comes down to Oliver or Edmunds then Im taking Oliver.

Of course you take Oliver over Edmunds, but what about Knox over Edmunds?   Beane has earned the benefit of the doubt but this appears to be the decision he made (and it looks like a BAD one). I am still struggling to understand it. Knox was due for a touchdown regression this year, even a casual fan could have gleamed that.  Bills would have been in a much better spot to negotiate with Knox at year end. Neither Edmunds or Knox are elite, so you hate to pay them top dollar, but Edmunds should have been the priority, much harder skill set to replace IMO.

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

They don't and they can't 

Well at least the first part is obvious enough. The second, i disagree with, but it doesn't matter. I just hope Edmunds has a career year and gets top money from someone else the Bills can't match. My worst case scenario is that he falls off just enough to be here another 5 years.

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Of course you take Oliver over Edmunds, but what about Knox over Edmunds?   Beane has earned the benefit of the doubt but this appears to be the decision he made (and it looks like a BAD one). I am still struggling to understand it. Knox was due for a touchdown regression this year, even a casual fan could have gleamed that.  Bills would have been in a much better spot to negotiate with Knox at year end. Neither Edmunds or Knox are elite, so you hate to pay them top dollar, but Edmunds should have been the priority, much harder skill set to replace IMO.

I too wondered why Knox was the only one signed this summer.  I figured he would have to wait with the rest for next March.

The more I look at Knox's contract and the predicament the Bills were in concerning TE there is some hope it won't be that bad.

IF Knox turns it up and becomes a great TE and is used a lot then it's not bad.

IF on the other hand they need to dump/trade him in 2024/2025 it's not that bad.

Knox has a manageable $6.4M cap hit in 2023.

So, once again, it's all about where the cap will be in 2024/2025.

About all I’ll say is that Tremaine is giving Devin White, the dude from the Niners and Bobby Wagner a strong run for best MLB in the league

2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Regarding Oliver, finding a quality 3 down backer is probably harder than finding a rush 3T. So I’m not actually sure about that if it comes to it.  

If the Bills lose Edmunds they wouldn’t be able to replace him through the draft or free agency. They’d have to shift Milano over and find a new Will backer, probably through the draft or a cheap replacement though free agency 

Tremaine is pretty much who he’s always been but there is one area where I’ve noticed clear improvement: tackling. He’s generally had trouble because of his height. It was really apparent on Sunday when you’d see him standing next to Dobbins after each play. Edmunds looked to be almost a foot taller than the RB. With that said, he’s seemingly learned how to smother players as opposed to crouching down to get to their level. 

He clearly benefits from the D Line keeping players off of him, but…if they do get on him he still does really poorly in shedding blocks. 

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

It has much more to do with the line in front of him allowing him to move freely and confidence in knowing where he needs to be.

so even Ray Lewis said you are only as good as the line in front of you.

Shocking the Bills add bigger bodies up front and now the LBers are allowed to move freely. 

I like Edmunds and would like to see him remain, but I cant se the Bills affording to be paying him 14-17 Mil a year. Can't pay everyone

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His stats this year are on pace to be the best of his career. Through 4 weeks he has:

1 sack (career high is 2 in 2018 and 2020)

2 QB pressures (career high is 11 in 2018)

4 tackles for loss (career high is 10 in 2019)

3.7% missed tackle rate (previous career best is 8.5% in 2021)

66.7% completion % given up (just a tick higher than his previous career best of 65.4% in 2019)

5.4 yards per completion given up (previous career best is 7.8 yards in 2019)

72.7 passer rating given up in coverage (previous career best 76.3 in 2019)

It isn't just the eye test. The numbers tell their own story. Tremaine is off to his best start as a pro, both in the sense of making more impact plays and in the sense of playing more efficient and consistent football. Some (though not all) of the criticism directed at Edmunds to this point in his career has been legitimate. But anyone who has any criticism of his performances this year simply has an agenda. 

Sorry, but he's playing far from flawless. You're right, he is having his best year as a pro. I don't think anyone will debate you on that. However, he's still not performing as well as Milano is right next to him, so clearly there is room for him to play better.

He still processes the game too slowly, he still can't shed blocks, and he still misses straightforward tackles or makes them downfield. The difference this year is that he's started to make impact plays and has had less critical errors, but all of the negative traits he's had since his rookie year are still present.

I've got the guy on my fantasy team because he has been impactful, but it's hiding the fact that his traits that make him a liability have not gone away.

There is plenty of this kind of content out there and readily available for factual evidence that covers many of the varied points seen in this age old argument. Surprised there weren't other examples presented along this discussion -

On 10/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, JohninMinn. said:

Edmunds is an arm tackler who has a slow reaction time diagnosing plays. His fortè is standing in the middle zone as a 6'5" scarecrow cutting off throwing lanes.

You say that like that’s not an elite skill. 

Josh has said he literally has to avoid the middle of the field in practice. 

Good luck replacing that 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Not true though...In Frazier scheme the middle lber is more like a shallow 3rd safety and Milano is freed up to attack more then react

These last 2 years I consider Tremaine as a huge SS.  And wherever he ends up, that's the role that suits his skillset the best.

• Agree 1

This could be the classic contract year performance.

Play great, get paid...dont improve.

Paying Edmunds what will be most likely a huge contract is a gamble as what he will get paid is not worth what he shows today. It will be paid in hopes of what he will become.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.