Jordan Phillips is the best DT on this team.

Pine Barrens Mafia

1 hour ago, Pags24 said:

He signed with Arizona for 3 years $30MM, that's not overpaying for JP IMO.  Especially when you look at the guarantee number ($18.5MM) on that contract.  Buffalo should've matched that.  I agree with you on the other point, Phillips was just as much of the star on the DL Thursday.

At the time that didn't fit with the salary structure on the team and the thought was that he would not repeat that again...

He was also not good against the run, there were a lot of gaping holes teams ran through while he was out there...the mix they have now is almost perfect on the DLine...basically they all are going to get theirs pass rushing and they have enough stout run defenders that they should be able to make plays there as well

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

At the time that didn't fit with the salary structure on the team and the thought was that he would not repeat that again...

He was also not good against the run, there were a lot of gaping holes teams ran through while he was out there...the mix they have now is almost perfect on the DLine...basically they all are going to get theirs pass rushing and they have enough stout run defenders that they should be able to make plays there as well

They could've figured out a way to keep him and let Star go.  I'd rather have JP over Star any day of the week.  Either way, luckily we got him back now.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I will say he's much better suited to his role now as a pure penetrating 3T than his first time w us when he had some 2gap responsibilities 

When we first signed him here off waivers in 2018 we used him almost exclusively as a penetrating 3T. In 2019 once Harrison Phillips went down early they did try and use him more as their 1T with some 2 gapping. And that isn't his game, although he obviously had a great year sack production wise. He is one of those guys who perplexes front offices a bit because he looks like he should be a 1T and plays like he is a 3T. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2022 at 6:13 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not even close. This is what I wanted. Impact. Game changing plays. This is what we needed on the DL.

Welcome back Jordan. We missed you.

Bro, let’s see him play more than one game and against a better O-Line. Oliver is the more complete DT and I would rather build a defense around him. 

On 9/9/2022 at 6:13 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not even close. This is what I wanted. Impact. Game changing plays. This is what we needed on the DL.

Joe, pump the breaks on J Phillips buddy.  He’s a great addition, don’t get me wrong, but the best DT.  

Brother it takes synergy and Phillips can only play well because he had GROOT or Von next to him, but more importantly the immovable object in Jones or Settle. Jones and Settle’s role does not get the glamour points as they just clog up Linemen, and halt running attacks like they did to a good running team in the Rams.  This gives the glory to the 3 tech. Oliver and Phillips, not to mention the speed edge guys to look amazing.

Its a unit and as I was talking to the MTC guys yesterday ( they do a Saturday show during the season for us guys who can’t call during the week), and Pat raves about how our 4 backups would be 4 starters on a lot of teams in the NFL, and would be better than those units.  

He (paraphrassing) said the way Buffalo will be a wrecking crew is McBeane found the right 8 to go wave after wave never getting tired, so opposing O lines will get exposed and worn down.  If what we saw TR is a prelude to what we might see in many games this season, it’s going to be a long day for our opponents.  Mills commented that it was a great locker room message the Benford was the starting CB, not Elam.  I mentioned McD would’ve had to go away from his core and play more man with Elam in at CB.  He’s not ready for our zone.  That would’ve been a mistake.  Mills just made the point that you’re draft status doesn’t matter, but how well you are developing in practice. He thinks it will be even more motivation for Elam to get nailed down his zone reads.

I had a lot of fun, so for those of you that are NFLR and MTC junkies like me, you’re opportunity to not wait 1.5 hours on hold is on Saturday.  I always look up some stats and prepare before I call these guys ona Saturday as they appreciate knowledgeable well educated NFL fans of their respective teams.  It was cool as it wasn’t the typical, bluet out youre thoughts and they hang up and then talk to each other. I had a conversation with them for a couple of minutes.

Anyway, Joe you’re right, Phillips is a great addition to the team and love the guy.  Its premature and not understanding these guys work as a unit.  Hard to compare as the 1Tech needs the 3Tech, and vise versa.  So not criticizing, just providing a different POV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was the 3 tech here too last time

He was shooting gaps and jumping snaps

Yep and when he was given some 1 tech snaps in Buffalo he basically stood up straight and was on skates........worthless........he wasn't too interested in doing any of that grunt work.

He played on the nose some at Oklahoma but his projection as a NT coming into the league was based mostly on his weight.

Jordan Davis is a lot like Phillips physically.........I will be surprised if Davis turns into the great run stopper projected either.   It's harder work for players that tall to play with leverage inside.    They both got those track legs too......not the stumps like a Ted Washington.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:13 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Definitely picking up where he left off when he was with the Bills really good to see & makes the dead cap for Star much easier to digest for sure !!

Glad to see him back in a Bills uni do you think Beane will extend him before the end of the season it might be a really good idea .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.