Ken Dorsey with a tremendous debut

Big Blitz

6 hours ago, sullim4 said:

The question is - how much of that is Allen improvising versus Dorsey calling a designed QB keeper?

I get the sense that some of those runs are option plays where Allen can hand the ball off or keep it... or broken pass plays where the coverage is good and he just decides to keep the ball rather than throwing it away.

Agree. I would say half of those runs are Josh calling his own number. Clearly that last one that caused quite a Twitter stir was suppose to be a pass and he pulled it down when he saw all that green turf in front of him. I'm sure they will discuss it.

Almost to an analyst this off season, the party line was yeah the Bills are great BUT they lost Daboll.  No one knows if Dorsey will be a good play caller.

Well maybe just maybe we have arrived at the Brady-Belichick point.  Is it the coach or is it the player?  A lot of what happened last night was Allen seeing the field and doing whatever he wanted.  Diggs kind of confirmed it when he said that wasn't even the play, he just told me to run...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Obviously you always keep tweaking. Like many here, I am ready for Zack Moss to be a game day inactive/backup and just feed Motor. Josh doesn't need to run that late in the game up three scores. But other than that, what isn't to like?

The run game got going just enough to have some balance, and the pitches worked well. You had 7 players who had receptions. Diggs showed why he was All Pro in 2020. Davis looked the part of the perfect #2. The turnovers were not the result of play calling. Aaron Donald was extremely limited.

For a first time OC outing what isn't to like?

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's an upgrade and it was evident from the first drive.

The outside runs to avoid Donald is something that I never understood with Daboll.  To me, it always seemed like Daboll never schemed for his opponent and just ran the same plays week in and week out.

Daboll lacked common sense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sullim4 said:

The question is - how much of that is Allen improvising versus Dorsey calling a designed QB keeper?

I get the sense that some of those runs are option plays where Allen can hand the ball off or keep it... or broken pass plays where the coverage is good and he just decides to keep the ball rather than throwing it away.

This is exactly right.  Eric Wood was talking about that too.  Very few if any designed runs, they were options based on what Josh decides from the coverage he sees.

I agree though, a high priority needs to be placed on an offense that offers the lowest risk of injury for 17.   Especially with a 3 possession lead. 

Daboll called a designed Josh run up 21pts vs the Jets last year and he got hit so hard.  Stupid risk, stuff like that should never happen again.

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The few questions I had about how he’d call an actual game were initially answered.

My only complaint is the amount of runs Josh had. I winced a few times at some of the hits he took. 

I think thise were almost all Josh's calls. He has the option on all running plays to keep it.

7 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Really liked the play calling but I agree with this. Motor was by far and away the best back. Sorry Moss & Cook, gotta earn those touches. Less mad about Cook even in spite of the fumble because I like McD giving him the chance. I think Moss should have less touches, he just doesn’t do it for me. 

Moss cancelled out his good game with the soft fumble.

Dorsey called a great first game. Only flub giving Cook a touch. Should’ve waited for an ordinary 1pm game for Cook 

• Like (+1) 1

The opening drive TD was a thing of beauty. Perfectly designed and executed. Is there anyone who didn't think they were going to hand it off on 3rd and short?

Overall, Dorsey called a spectacular game. I agree with most of you about too many designed runs to Josh, especially the one when the game was already in the bag.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A near 50/50 split of pass to run? I think that’s too much, especially with Allen at the QB, who seemingly makes every play a positive chunk of yardage

If you take this idea to its logical conclusion, the Bills (and every other team for that matter) should literally never run the ball. Passing always has higher average yards per play. But OCs figured out a century ago that if the defense only has to prepare for one thing, they can tee off on stopping that one thing. Committing to the run keeps defenses off balance and wears them down over time. The best coaches in the sport understand this - McVay, Shanahan, Reid, Belichick. Take it up with them if you don't agree.

Edited by HappyDays

I almost started a new thread but then saw this one. Here’s the terrifying question for the rest of the league: what if the Bills offense is better under Dorsey than they were under Daboll?

It’s an admittedly small sample but that was an absolutely masterful game plan. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/8/2022 at 11:39 PM, MPT said:

A- just because there were too many Allen and Moss runs. Really impressed with the calls and the flow overall though.

I’m thinking Moss will be on the bench next Monday… I don’t trust him and he could potentially get us killed in a big game with his fumbling problems 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:38 PM, Bangarang said:

The few questions I had about how he’d call an actual game were initially answered.

My only complaint is the amount of runs Josh had. I winced a few times at some of the hits he took. 

I don’t have an issue with Josh running but when we are up by 14 in the 4th QB our RB’s need to close out the game 

1 hour ago, Bimmer323i said:

I don’t trust him and he could potentially get us killed in a big game with his fumbling problems 

Get that ridiculous nonsense out of here

That was the first and only time Moss has fumbled in the 200+ carries he's had for this team.

That's 1 fumble for every 214 carries

In the 500 carries that Singletary has had, he's fumbled 7 times.

That's 1 fumble for every 71 carries.

That means Singletary has fumbled about three times more often than Moss.

Who has the fumbling problem? :lol: 🤡 :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It's an upgrade and it was evident from the first drive.

The outside runs to avoid Donald is something that I never understood with Daboll.  To me, it always seemed like Daboll never schemed for his opponent and just ran the same plays week in and week out.

Daboll lacked common sense.

Bingo. He didn't have common sense. 

The NFL world will see it the next few years with the Giants before he's fired. Allen made him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.