Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

This is fair and I agree on the personnel.  Diggs, explosive rookie WR2, Shakir and Kincaid in traditional 11 personnel should be our base. 

The more run-heavy offense the Bills ran under Brady will make that tough unless Kincaid learns to block. 11 with Kincaid isn’t all that great against the blitz either. He’s an excellent receiver, but he belongs in the slot. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

But arguing about a contract is dumb, because there is always something the team can do to adjust the money. 

Tell that to everyone who’s up in arms about the Von Miller contract. That’s what we do on message boards and talk in general - debate and value a player’s worth in relation to his production on the field. There’s a long list of contract regrets with this team.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The more run-heavy offense the Bills ran under Brady will make that tough unless Kincaid learns to block. 11 with Kincaid isn’t all that great against the blitz either. He’s an excellent receiver, but he belongs in the slot. 

Kincaid actually had some pretty nice blocks on the season. He says himself it’s something he’ll continue to work on, but he’s not a total dud. The effort is there. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Tell that to everyone who’s up in arms about the Von Miller contract. That’s what we do on message boards and talk in general - debate and value a player’s worth in relation to his production on the field. There’s a long list of contract regrets with this team.

Kincaid actually had some pretty nice blocks on the season. He says himself it’s something he’ll continue to work on, but he’s not a total dud. The effort is there. 

Those tended to be downfield and more like 'getting in the way'. I did appreciate the effort though. He was active.

He is most certainly not a guy you set up off the tackles shoulder to block an end like Knox.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Injury plagued?! Try being replaced by a rookie that we took in the first round because Knox was a not an impact player to begin with.  You are forgetting he didn't live up to the contract last year either, (and never has).  He got paid top 5 TE money! Only Kittle, Andrews and Kelce will make more than him this coming season (and like barely more).  And he's always had some durability questions marks, that's part of the issue with the contract!

Pretty much. He's being paid as a top #1TE but he's a #2. Even if Brady runs more 12 personnel it's just not a good contract.

A good contract is one that looks good in hindsight, not just on the day the ink dries.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I edited it, to include Kittle and Andrews. It's true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/tight-end/

Exactly that's my point!  His ceiling was a fairly consistent playmaker if he has enough support around him, why did we pay him elite TE money?! It is a disgusting contract any way you look at it, even getting full leniency for injuries, death of his brother etc. It's awful, awful. GM malpractice really.  Beane has been so damn good it's just shocking, that's why I can't get over it.  Miller was an elite player and it was risky contract but at least I understand the roll of the dice there.  

Knox’s biggest issue is that the FO has taken far to much time finding replacements for Beasley and Brown/ Sanders, ( remember Knox’s production when we had them?).  We have been using a WR 3/4 as our 2nd boundary/#2 receiver, (Davis) who doesn’t take coverage away from anyone as of late. Shakir is in effect our New 3/4 receiver, taking Gabe’s role going forward, which imo is an improvement. 

Kincaid is in all reality our new Beasley, and we are still lacking a #2 WR, to fill John Browns role, which will take coverage away from Diggs and or the middle of the field, until we get our new John Brown we aren’t able to clear out the middle of the field or take  extra coverage away from Diggs or our TEs. 

We have to find our new John Brown this off season, it’s imperative that this happens. When it does happen, all of our receivers will then be facing far more favorable coverages, which is a good thing.  It then becomes a pick your poison problem for opposing defenses if they double up a Kincaid or say Diggs…, we got a Shakir, Knox or our new John  Brown in good position to make plays, it becomes a win win situation for our offense. 

Just sayin…, 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Brand J said:

As a blocker this past season he wasn’t the total disaster he was in college, but he was still poor overall. The progress is encouraging, but he has a long way to go. I’m rooting for his continued improvement. If he can become an even average blocker, then he will be a fantastic, complete TE1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only problem I have with Knox’s contract is they drafted a better player at his position less than a calendar year later. At one point it seemed Knox was on the rise but Kincaid basically put a stop to that. Beane and his luxury picks. Bad situation that began with bad management 

13 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The only problem I have with Knox’s contract is they drafted a better player at his position less than a calendar year later. At one point it seemed Knox was on the rise but Kincaid basically put a stop to that. Beane and his luxury picks. Bad situation that began with bad management 

Not really, Kincaid played like 70% of his snaps off the line and in the slot. Knox will get plenty of snaps as the in line TE. 

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

But arguing about a contract is dumb, because there is always something the team can do to adjust the money. 

I’m the originator of this argument. No point in arguing contracts. Waste of time for NFL players.

Maybe in the NBA or NHL. 

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I’m the originator of this argument. No point in arguing contracts. Waste of time for NFL players.

Maybe in the NBA or NHL. 

Right, I get SOME contracts we have our hands tied. Knox’ isn’t one of them. We have one thread where fans are convinced we can work with Diggs extension, which is in year 1 and has 70 in guarantees. However, Knox’s deal of significantly less value? Nope, concrete. 

He’s still going to get plenty of snaps as in his traditional inline TE role as Kincaid plays off the line A LOT. It’s not a stretch to say he can still be a 40-50 catch guys. 

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Generally true in football unless it's the Watson contract.

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every time I watch SF, Kittle does close to nothing. 

The last three seasons Kittle has 15 games over 80 receiving yards in 45 games. Every third game Kittle is having a big game. I’d say that is doing something fairly frequently. 

Knox has three such games over the same time span and 40 games played. Knox is having a big game every 13th game or basically once per season. 

Kittle has 7 games over 100 yards receiving. Knox has 1. Kittle has 5 games over with 120+ yards receiving. Knox has zero.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, he's 16th in Base Salary this year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/base/tight-end/

And 5th in total cap hit: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/tight-end/

I know at one point the Bills were undefeated in games Knox scored at least 1 TD. Something to be said for that and our offense clicking when we can get him the ball.

Bills are 19-1 in the regular season when Knox scores a TD. That is a crazy stat. The one loss was to Tampa Bay and Tom Brady. 

4-1 in the postseason with the one loss being the KC conference championship game 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The tre white and Von miller contracts were unlucky. The Knox contract was arguably bad judgment on Beanes part. 

Is it still bad judgement if he never sees the big money? He made 6.4m last year, he hasn’t made the big numbers yet in his contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.