Ford on Kromer (Paywall)

Coach Tuesday

Watching the team run the ball in limited pre-season action so far - it's amazing to see what Kromer is already bringing to the table.

I feel like the addition of him to the team (or finally jettisoning Bobby Johnson) is going to make a huge difference for this team.  

If we have a balanced non-Josh rushing attack, this team is nearly unstoppable

• Like (+1) 6

While I've never been a fan of Ford, WGR certainly praised him after the game yesterday. I admit I didn't zero in on him but one play did stand out...the totally needless hands to the face penalty which I believe was on 3rd down when we were in FG range. Still not a fan.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sounds like ford had a bit of an attitude/entitlement issue last season.

sounds like he’s taking the coaching much better this year and starting to figure things out. It would be great if he could develop into a starter for us!

one thing I do know is Cody Ford is a new father. With age and a significant life change such as that could come maturity. And what Im hearing is Kromer has already had a tremendously positive impact. That is great news for we fans 🙂 I root for them all to succeed. They've spent a lot of their lives prepping for it. And the desire to stay in the NFL is Huge I think. Im glad I don't have to make the decisions on who to keep and cut that is for sure.

• Like (+1) 6

With Ford looking good in preseason and Brown or Quessenberry being the swing OT behind whichever starts… dare I say … I’m starting to become a bit confident in this group?  

Most of that confidence comes from Kromer leading the OL, but the Top 7 suddenly look quite competent and then we get back Boettger at some point down the line for added depth. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

agree

It's the best sports writing since SI was in its heyday.  I hate paying subscriptions as much as anybody but this one is worth it.

Yes the writing is generally excellent and The Athletic employs many of the writers who became unemployed during the now decades-long contraction of the newspaper business.

It's been a landing spot for many who were priced out of their previous jobs due to career longevity... and replaced which cheaper and poorer writers (I won't mention any names).

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With Ford looking good in preseason and Brown or Quessenberry being the swing OT behind whichever starts… dare I say … I’m starting to become a bit confident in this group?  

Most of that confidence comes from Kromer leading this group, but the Top 7 suddenly look quite competent and then we get back Boettger at some point down the line. 

Ford had a lot of natural talent coming out of college.  He has disappointed so far in his NFL career.

It's great to hear he may be able to rectify that under Kromer.

There are differences between teachers, coaches, mentors and trainers.  Sounds like Kromer has qualities of each.

Not near enough credit is given to McDermott for putting together his staff.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

While I've never been a fan of Ford, WGR certainly praised him after the game yesterday. I admit I didn't zero in on him but one play did stand out...the totally needless hands to the face penalty which I believe was on 3rd down when we were in FG range. Still not a fan.

I watched him several drives. He was really good yesterday.  Pulled for two running tds.  Pass pro very good.  Penalty only bad spot but he had a good day. 

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Those gaping holes even with our backups in there were reminiscent of when TD Mike Gillislee was scampering for 50-60 yard TDs seemingly once a game

For the folks that don’t remember that period, Kromer was our OL coach.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

From yesterday’s Athletic (honestly, if you don’t have an Athletic subscription by now, your phone should be confiscated):

https://theathletic.com/3524555/2022/08/20/bills-cody-ford-training-camp/?source=user_shared_article

Ford admitted the attitude adjustment was necessary and overdue.

He and Dawkins cited new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has been a significant factor. Asked about the difference between Kromer and previous assistant Bobby Johnson, Ford responded with eight seconds of silence. The corners of his lips curled upward as he mulled his reply.

“He’s doing a phenomenal job,” Ford said of Kromer. “I don’t know what that means, coming from me. But the way we’ve been coached and the techniques that we’ve learned is why I say there’s been so much improvement.”

This is what I have been saying all off season!  

I have kept saying to the “we didn’t do enough” to address the OL crowd all off season that they keep grossly over looking and under valuing the massive upgrade from that loser Bobby Johnson to one of the best OL coaches in the league in Kromer.

And you can already see the difference on the field.  Our OL is going to be much improved this year, especially in the run game where the run blocking already looks night and day difference.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Most of that confidence comes from Kromer leading the OL, but the Top 7 suddenly look quite competent and then we get back Boettger at some point down the line for added depth. 

One thing which will help is Kromer had experience as "run game coordinator" and with a rookie OC I think he will be consulting with him quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

OP took my phone :( 

That said, Ford has actually looked decent this summer.

They pulled him on Moss's first TD and he led the way into the endzone. One of the first productive things I've seen that guy do since coming here. Hopefully he can rebound under Kromer and work his way onto the field. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

They pulled him on Moss's first TD and he led the way into the endzone. One of the first productive things I've seen that guy do since coming here. Hopefully he can rebound under Kromer and work his way onto the field. 

If he can be a good backup, it will be a small win. 

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks for your opine, but there’s just too many free quality sports articles, programs and podcasts to bother spending a freakin dime on. I do appreciate you posting the highlights of their writer’s opinions though.

I forget the exact offer I got from the Athletic, maybe $10 for the year, but being a voracious content junkie and the Bills and Sabres both poised to be interesting for the first time in a long time, it was worth it to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well that is partly because Coach McDermott has selected some awful coaches.

Vey few of coaches who have left have done so for promotions to higher positions.

When you become a new HC, the first staff you build will be suboptimal.   Most the best coaches will be under contract and unavailable.    And some coaches may be reluctant to take a job with a first time HC in a rebuilding situation.   And, of course, the new HC is bound to make hiring mistakes based on bad recommendations or whatever.

Given the challenges,  I think McD has done a commendable job building his team of coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When you become a new HC, the first staff you build will be suboptimal.   Most the best coaches will be under contract and unavailable.    And some coaches may be reluctant to take a job with a first time HC in a rebuilding situation.   And, of course, the new HC is bound to make hiring mistakes based on bad recommendations or whatever.

Given the challenges,  I think McD has done a commendable job building his team of coaches.

Could not agree more.

For instance it's a widely-held belief that Rick Dennison was not McDermott's first choice.

Dennison was released after one season after McDermott was able to convince Brian Daboll to come to Buffalo.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Could not agree more.

For instance it's a widely-held belief that Rick Dennison was not McDermott's first choice.

Dennison was released after one season after McDermott was able to convince Brian Daboll to come to Buffalo.

Of course this does not say much for McDermott ability to pick coaches since he supposedly wanted Mike McCoy who did not even last a season as OC at his next two stops.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Of course this does not say much for McDermott ability to pick coaches since he supposedly wanted Mike McCoy who did not even last a season as OC at his next two stops.

I had heard that McDermott wanted to hire Daboll in 2017 but Daboll wanted the Alabama job.

Regardless, like Hondo says, a first time Head Coach doesn't always have the stability, track record, and credibility to hire their first choices.

On balance it seems the Bills have evolved into a pretty solid coaching staff.

For one thing it's pretty amazing the Bills have 4 former OCs on their staff under Dorsey. That's a lot of expertise.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I had heard that McDermott wanted to hire Daboll in 2017 but Daboll wanted the Alabama job.

Regardless, like Hondo says, a first time Head Coach doesn't always have the stability, track record, and credibility to hire their first choices.

On balance it seems the Bills have evolved into a pretty solid coaching staff.

I don't remember any talk about Daboll in 2017 but definitely agree that well known assistants don't want to work for first time head coaches since there is a high likelihood that those first time coaches will not last very long.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't remember any talk about Daboll in 2017 but definitely agree that well known assistants don't want to work for first time head coaches since there is a high likelihood that those first time coaches will not last very long.

Apparently Daboll coached at William and Mary in the late 90s when McDermott was a senior there and they had maintained their friendship since then. The story I heard was that Daboll wanted the Bama job because he thought working with Saban would be better for his aspirations as a head coach. A bit ironic then that he ended up taking the Bills OC job and parlayed that into becoming a head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks for your opine, but there’s just too many free quality sports articles, programs and podcasts to bother spending a freakin dime on. I do appreciate you posting the highlights of their writer’s opinions though.

I don't begrudge anyone that doesn't subscribe to the Athletic, but as a subscriber I have to say it is very much worth the price. There is better content offered there than on most of the free content. Just my opinion of course.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's easy to get around the paywall tbh

I just use dev tools and read the HTML

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tbh, teach me how to cheat!

I can teach you how to Dougie...

Edited by Big Turk

Been saying it since it was announced — “allowing” Bobby Johnson to leave with Daboll and signing Beach Chairs was the biggest move of the offseason.  I’m not sure enough people realize how awful Johnson was/is, and how much a good coach can help an OL.  I also didn’t “predict” Cody Ford would make the team, but I definitely said it wouldn’t surprise me.

Anyone watch any of the Giants game last night?  Their OL is trash.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.