Preseason week 2: Broncos at Bills

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, MWK said:

What an idiotic move. They should never play starters in the preseason. And before anyone talks about “rust,” they played starters in the preseason last year and we looked like garbage in the first game. Hopefully nobody gets hurt by this outdated move McDermott is making.

They practice 4 times a week and from I can tell, they are more likely to get hurt in preseason practice than preseason games.  Hyde, Poyer, Brown, Crowder, Settle all have some form of ding from practice.  

38 minutes ago, MWK said:

What an idiotic move. They should never play starters in the preseason. And before anyone talks about “rust,” they played starters in the preseason last year and we looked like garbage in the first game. Hopefully nobody gets hurt by this outdated move McDermott is making.

Like so many discussions these days, you're reducing it to a binary equation which it is not.

There's a vast range between playing every snap and not playing at all.

McDermott is using his vast expertise and experience to make sure he doesn't reach the point of diminishing returns with Josh's snaps. He's going to try to hit the sweet spot. It's a calculated risk where he's going for the obvious benefits but also trying to minimize exposure.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, MWK said:

I might be misremembering but someone posted a study somewhere that seemed to show the lack of preseason in 2020 caused far more injuries in the first month of the season than is standard when preseason takes place, fwiw

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s the difference between maybe 15-20 snaps in a preseason game vs multiple live scrimmages instead?

Do you think without preseason they wouldn’t have live hitting scrimmages instead? It’s all conditioning the body.

If I had to guess, you can somewhat control a practice.  i.e. red jersey on the QB.  

Can't do that in a game.  See Jalen Hurts getting rocked out of bounds by a Jets defender.  

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If I had to guess, you can somewhat control a practice.  i.e. red jersey on the QB.  

Can't do that in a game.  See Jalen Hurts getting rocked out of bounds by a Jets defender.  

QB protection is basically the only argument for not playing starters. 

Honestly I think it makes most sense to play the backup with the starters for obvious reasons. If I were coach that’s how I would run preseason games. 

58 minutes ago, arcane said:

I might be misremembering but someone posted a study somewhere that seemed to show the lack of preseason in 2020 caused far more injuries in the first month of the season than is standard when preseason takes place, fwiw

Yeah that was me. I’d repost it but my area has an outage of internet atm and it’s a pain to do on my phone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m still in a quandary about local market games on NFL Network for preseason. Somehow Cleveland was included as a local market last week and I couldn’t watch the game live. We don’t get Buffalo stations here although I can get WGR radio. Does anyone know another way to get this preseason game since it will be the only one starters will play in?

I could have posted as separate topic but figured it’s related to this game.

10 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I’m still in a quandary about local market games on NFL Network for preseason. Somehow Cleveland was included as a local market last week and I couldn’t watch the game live. We don’t get Buffalo stations here although I can get WGR radio. Does anyone know another way to get this preseason game since it will be the only one starters will play in?

Does a VPN work? If it does you can just use a VPN to set your IP address to a buffalo location and the app would think you are in market.  Some apps recognize a VPN and dont let you use them unless you shut the VPN off though.  You might be able to use VPN and then watch it through paramount+?  Not sure

The whole thing is stupid anyhow.  Just let us pay for a service and watch whatever game we want.  Why is this even a thing?

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

NFL+ free preview?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s the difference between maybe 15-20 snaps in a preseason game vs multiple live scrimmages instead?

Do you think without preseason they wouldn’t have live hitting scrimmages instead? It’s all conditioning the body.

This is why Allen is playing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MWK said:

I'm a big McD critic, but this is the right move and this team needs to be ready given how difficult the first half of the schedule is. KC started Mahomes last week and Brady has always played in most preseason games as well.

Can't afford to come out sloppy, overconfident and not ready like we did against the mediocre steelers team last year. Defending champs on the road and favorites to possibly repeat is a whole other animal.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Yep. The concerns are unfounded, scared mentality BS.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Not exposing guys to the speed of an actual game is actually putting them at more risk for injury... this is a proven fact. 

Playing scared makes you more susceptible to injury, as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The pearl clutching that's going on at WGR right now is just ridiculous.  They're grown ass men with some of the best sports science doctors/trainers in the entire world.  The Bills know what they're doing.

WGR sucks walnuts.

59 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The pearl clutching that's going on at WGR right now is just ridiculous.  They're grown ass men with some of the best sports science doctors/trainers in the entire world.  The Bills know what they're doing.

I don’t even understand why they are surprised or expected anything different. The starters (except Diggs who was recovering from the oblique) played a half in preseason game 2 last year as well. And we have a new OC. Not sure why anyone would expect McDermott to change it up. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t even understand why they are surprised or expected anything different. The starters (except Diggs who was recovering from the oblique) played a half in preseason game 2 last year as well. And we have a new OC. Not sure why anyone would expect McDermott to change it up. 

We all know why they are talking this up. Everyone loves an argument and there exists an element of the fanbase on each side of this fence…as wrong as one side is. Bubble wrap isn’t good for kids and it’s definitely not good for football players.

• Like (+1) 1

I get the reasons for playing them, but do think the starters, especially Allen, should sit. Knock the rust off and iron out any lingering communication issues in the 1st quarter against the Rams if need be. 

Sure, injuries can happen anytime, but that does not mean playing them isn’t risking a lot. Last thing a team with Super Bowl aspirations needs is a significant injury or heaven forbid losing a key player for the season before it starts. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.