Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

On 5/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, FilthyBeast said:

This is the only pick I truly hated this year for reasons likely beat to death already including another potential Creed Humphrey situation by not taking the obvious guy who was off the board right after our pick.

Also hate the Dick Jauron type fascination with smallish tweener type of players like this whose only real contribution may be on ST. When is this team going to learn that these type of guys are the reason physical teams like the Titans, Colts, etc continue to have our way with us? Also what is different with this guy that says he's going to be able to hold up in pass defense against the leagues elite QB's like Mahomes that continue to beat the Bills when it matters.

Obviously if this guy ends up being a legit NFL starter down the road so be it but on the surface it leaves a lot to be desired.

The pick wasn’t what I expected.  I was furious when I heard it announced. After some research and film time, I see why they drafted him.  I think he can specialize in two aspects, blitzing and coverage.  Maybe a reach, but we didn’t have a 4th.  I see it like we took Shakir rd 3 and Bernard rd 5.  Solid value for both.  I think he’s going to contribute….as long as he’s healthy.  That’s the one thing that gets me about the pick.  Injuries have been an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

Value in the draft is a made up thing.  It doesnt matter where you draft a guy.  Does he fit the scheme can he play.  First 3 rd should be playing.  Can Bernard play?  Yes.  Alot?  Probably not.  When they go 4-3 I expect he has more than a shot to be the third lb.  He provides better coverage skills than the other backers behind Edmunds and Milano.  The perception of the pick is neg because many want a Edmunds replacement.  He is not.  I think he is the special team ace third baker on the cheap to allow the team to extend Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The pick wasn’t what I expected.  I was furious when I heard it announced. After some research and film time, I see why they drafted him.  I think he can specialize in two aspects, blitzing and coverage.  Maybe a reach, but we didn’t have a 4th.  I see it like we took Shakir rd 3 and Bernard rd 5.  Solid value for both.  I think he’s going to contribute….as long as he’s healthy.  That’s the one thing that gets me about the pick.  Injuries have been an issue. 

I agree after the emotions came back down and looking at this pick, it is a solid one. He can play AJ Klein’s spot in base. He can replace Edmonds on third and long plays. And he’s insurance if/when Milano gets injured. And should be a solid player on 4th downs. He is the Buffalo 🦬 nickel I’ve wanted for years too.

• Agree 1