RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

One thing I am 100% certain about. In the past 3 months of round 1st draft discussions on this board. With literally millions of words typed. The words Kaiir Elam was NEVER typed once!! Makes one wonder about the value of this discussion when reviewing the Bills selection.   

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Elam ain't White. Not by a country mile. 

And you ain't an NFL Scout.  Not by a country mile.  

So theres that too sport 😉

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, MPT said:

This might be a shock, but Beane is probably working with better draft intel than the fans. 

Its obnoxious isn't it? As if the Chiefs didnt just trade up for McDuffie, it was utterly impossible that someone trade up for Elam? Or that it was utterly impossible that any other GM liked Elam? These people are trashing the GM with very little info to go on lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yet Siran Neal, Taran Johnson, Jaquon Johnson, Dane Jackson and Rachad Wildgoose are why the Bills just traded up in a reach for this kid in the 1st.....

True…. Still, anyone who’s been paying close attention to this regime knew the pick would be defense and CB was the most obvious choice. 

Mel Kiper nailed our pick. 

25. Buffalo Bills

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

I really struggled here because I wanted to give the Bills running back Breece Hall. I just can't do it, though I'm going to be kicking myself if general manager Brandon Beane takes Hall. Ultimately, Beane could find a good back on Day 2. Buffalo's need at corner is just too large to use a luxury pick here. Elam is a long, press-man corner with some ball skills

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Trading up anytime is ok except to jump a team that has no need for the position you want why just throw the pick away? No reason to do it whatsoever

Let me ask Could Baltimore or Dallas also trade out to a team say like NE that also has CB needs?  Simple yes or No. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I would love for anyone to try to explain why it's a BAD THING that the Bills -- in desperate need of a corner -- took the kid who allowed the second lowest passer rating in the FBS the past 3 years.

but...but...but we gave up a 4th on a stacked roster

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Let's use a different example then. How did Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson do against the Chiefs' receivers in the playoffs?

If I’m being completely honest(and I’m OKAY with tonight’s pick), I don’t think anyone shy of sanders and Revis was stopping either of those qb’s in arrowhead that night. 

IMO defense is a great regular season tool for seeding. But come playoff time the top qb’s are cheat codes and almost defense-proof. I would much rather stock Allen’s cabinets and field the same ole top 5-10 style McDermott defense. 

But I’ve already talked myself Into the pick. So whatever. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I would love for anyone to try to explain why it's a BAD THING that the Bills -- in desperate need of a corner -- took the kid who allowed the second lowest passer rating in the FBS the past 3 years.

Cuz they gave up a guy that had about a 25% chance of even making this team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We traded up for him, 1 pick away and Booth and Gordon on the board. LOL.  That happened..

and now the jets gets Johnson.  Jets killed it.  Luckily we have 17

I'd have assumed you'd have been thrilled because his arms aren't under 30". He was the guy they liked. He has the speed neither has. A lot of people *ahem* said something similar when we drafted Josh Allen. Reports are Dallas liked Elam. Even if they weren't going to take him, if he was their guy above all others, why risk the possibility of someone possibly trading in front of us in Dallas' slot to take him with teams knowing we needed CB? Relax.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If I’m being completely honest(and I’m OKAY with tonight’s pick), I don’t think anyone shy of sanders and Revis was stopping either of those qb’s in arrowhead that night. 

IMO defense is a great regular season tool for seeding. But come playoff time the top qb’s are cheat codes and almost defense-proof. I would much rather stock Allen’s cabinets and field the same ole top 5-10 style McDermott defense. 

But I’ve already talked myself Into the pick. So whatever. 

Thank you!!!

God forbid we roll with the receivers we got and Diggs or the inconsistent Davis are hurt come playoff time…. Jake ***** Kumerow time. 🤮

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Disagree 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Thank you!!!

God forbid we roll with the receivers we got and Diggs or the inconsistent Davis are hurt come playoff time…. Jake ***** Kumerow time. 🤮

Dude this is one of the deepest receiver drafts in a long time. We can get one in the second. 

We weren't rolling out Dane Jackson again as CB2. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Thank you!!!

God forbid we role with the receivers we got and Diggs or the inconsistent Davis are hurt come playoff time…. Jake ***** Kumerow time. 🤮

I get it. I really do… but let’s see how day 2 goes….

top ten wr’s in receptions last year we’re on average a 3rd round pick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Thank you!!!

Did you not see the run on WR? Any WR left would be a much bigger reach than Elam.  You could easily trade up and get somebody in 2nd-3rd if you're that worried about it.

• Agree 5