Josh back working with Palmer..

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Got any vacancies, Mr. Palmer?!"

image.thumb.jpeg.0a9be423abe953b282b4faa94e7b8326.jpeg
EDIT:  Rosen be like "Student?!  Eff no, I'm here as a co-instructor!!"

Sam Darnold does actually work with Palmer. It is surmised that he is the QB that Palmer was speaking about when comparing Allen's drive in that he gets something down then goes and does it a hundred more times compared to 'another qb that palmer worker with..' who'd get it once then figure that he's 'got it' and would stop. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I didn't want Darnold. He never looked comfortable at USC when he was pressured. 

Rosen was my #2 after Allen. 

I figured Darnold and Mayfield would be gone by the time the Bills picked, so that left me wanting Rosen. I didn't want Jackson because of the Tyrod years. I just wanted an NFL passer, not a running back who could also pass sometimes.

The media told me not to like Allen, so I didn't. I don't watch college, so I gain my opinions from the talking heads and watching highlights and stuff. They convinced me that he was too erratic and that nobody could ever overcome a sub 60% college completion percentage. They also talked up Rosen a lot.

32 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

I wonder if it is that they were wrong, or both were put in a spot where they would fail.  How much better would Darnold be here with the coaching staff in Buffalo vs the tire fire in NJ?

I think that their surrounding team is a lot of the reason why there is success vs bust in the league.  Everyone who scouts players has the same information, and when there is unanimous value for a player they are called a bust when they don't meet that expectation; but there is a reason the team around them was picking so high in the draft in the first place.  While a player can control their own destiny in a way, a major part of their development and growth is what they are surrounded by too.  

Same can go for a player who is drafted way too high (ex Whitner) It's not his fault he was chosen a round to early and played a non-premium position in the league.  If he had the same career he had but was a late 1st round/ early 2nd round pick like many thought he would be pre-draft, we would have had a totally different perspective of them.  

Josh Allen was last on my list of QBs I wanted them to draft, and boy am I glad I was wrong!

Those guys would have failed anywhere.  What they lack is the mental part.  Josh would have succeeded in Jersey or Arizona.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did Palmer specifically say that?  "Avoid games like we saw in Jacksonville?" 

Mind sharing where and when, ideally share a link etc?

This was something Palmer had said in an Interview had done which I think was around SuperBowl Week. Just along the lines of Bringing and Channeling Your A game Mentally every week. Easier said than done I guess. If I can find it I will post it. Not a recent comment though. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I figured Darnold and Mayfield would be gone by the time the Bills picked, so that left me wanting Rosen. I didn't want Jackson because of the Tyrod years. I just wanted an NFL passer, not a running back who could also pass sometimes.

The media told me not to like Allen, so I didn't. I don't watch college, so I gain my opinions from the talking heads and watching highlights and stuff. They convinced me that he was too erratic and that nobody could ever overcome a sub 60% college completion percentage. They also talked up Rosen a lot.

Yeah, I'm with you.  I don't watch collegiate ball so I listen to the talking heads.  Initially, I was in on Rosen.  But when I started paying attention to which talking head was saying what, I started gravitating more to Allen.  The more knowledgeable draft gurus - the ex-personnel guys and even Kiper as I recall - were big on Allen's upside.  

There were Allen doubters even into his third season with the Bills.  These stubborn fools could not admit they were wrong.  They said that accuracy issues could never be fixed.  Eventually they quieted down but every time Allen misses a pass they stick their heads back up and say "see, I told you".

These are not Bills fans I'm talking about, they're the talking heads that make a living talking about the same things that we spend our time writing about here.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There were Allen doubters even into his third season with the Bills.  These stubborn fools could not admit they were wrong.  They said that accuracy issues could never be fixed.  Eventually they quieted down but every time Allen misses a pass they stick their heads back up and say "see, I told you".

These are not Bills fans I'm talking about, they're the talking heads that make a living talking about the same things that we spend our time writing about here.

4 hours ago, foreboding said:

Sage. Was it difficult to admit?

Hi, my names Don, and I liked EJ too, it’s humbling to admit…

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

He waited this long to start training again?!?!? That is why he doesn't have a 500 yard passing game yet.

I feel personally attacked!

Jk, but I did used to point out the lack of 300+ yards games from our QBs was a sign we didn't have a good one yet. In a league with rules that favor passing, we were lucky to average 200 passing yards. 

Funny how when Josh took his giant 3rd year leap, we see those 300 & even 400 yard games now. It's just so very, very nice to be one of those good teams again 😁

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, chris heff said:

I was right about these two, really didn’t want either. I’ve been wrong, I liked EJ. It’s one thing for us to get things wrong, but how is that so many professionals can be so wrong?

I think the jury can still be out on Darnold, I don't think I'm ready to call it on him just yet.  The guy has had the complete opposite of Allen in no consistency whatsoever, no line, no real receiving talent, tons of injuries.  I'm not saying I think he's anywhere remotely near Allen's level, but that he could possibly be a serviceable QB if given the chance...Rosen, yeah I was dead wrong on, I'm among those who clamored for us to draft him.   

I hope and suspect it's true that he is refining his game.  The past two years Palmer and Allen both pointed out in interviews what Josh had worked on the, the season before last it was the deep ball and this past year it was a specific slant pattern.   The breakdown will be interesting to read.

In my view the area he needs the most improvement on is that he sometimes tends to throw the ball a bit high.  Often times they are still successful plays but it impedes on the receiver being able to get additional YAC and in worst case they are overthrown and the ball is picked off.   I think there is something in his mechanics still that are producing some of these high throws.  

I'm being nit picky because his overall game is already elite but there are still areas of improvement.   

Here he's working on getting better at his high hurdling.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If Josh Allen is supposed to be one of the best QBs in the NFL, then why does he still need an extra tutor?

Why do doctors practice medicine?   You know what Iverson thinks about practice

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I noticed this come up on my Instagram feed. Maybe it’s that time of the year where Josh continues his Growth.  I believe Josh will take his game to even another Level this year. Palmer said one of the next steps in Josh journey is to avoid games like we saw in Jacksonville. 

AE3656EF-8D16-49AA-9ABD-6AC8A6760F04.png

That's really the only hole in his game left. If JA17 can be consistent over a 17 game regular season there's really no more arguments in comparing him to Mahomes.

Everyone has a down game here and there but Mahomes has rarely had those outside of the SB loss to the Bucs a few years ago which is probably still his worst NFL game in his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Got any vacancies, Mr. Palmer?!"

image.thumb.jpeg.0a9be423abe953b282b4faa94e7b8326.jpeg
EDIT:  Rosen be like "Student?!  Eff no, I'm here as a co-instructor!!"

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Rosen resembles a young Sandy Koufax. Maybe he's in the wrong sport.

Edited by Artful Dodger

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

I hope and suspect it's true that he is refining his game.  The past two years Palmer and Allen both pointed out in interviews what Josh had worked on the, the season before last it was the deep ball and this past year it was a specific slant pattern.   The breakdown will be interesting to read.

In my view the area he needs the most improvement on is that he sometimes tends to throw the ball a bit high.  Often times they are still successful plays but it impedes on the receiver being able to get additional YAC and in worst case they are overthrown and the ball is picked off.   I think there is something in his mechanics still that are producing some of these high throws.  

I'm being nit picky because his overall game is already elite but there are still areas of improvement.   

I actually think one of his biggest issues is not putting enough air under the ball on the deep shots. Specifically the sideline Go Route.  He throws these low angle ropes and if hes off on trajectory it sails 10 yards over the WRs head.  Meanwhile you watch a guy like Russel Wilson drop moonballs over the WRs shoulder and into a basket.  The moonshot gives the WR a chance to adjust speed and track the ball to be the in the right place at the right time.  Allen does well in deep passes like a Post where there is an X axis component but he has missed some huge opportunities on the vertical routes.

He continues to improve in ball placement on the shorter routes and is vastly improved at protecting the football on these passes, protecting his WRs, and giving them a chance at some YAC.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.