I don't think WR is a need. We got a breakout star on our roster already

JerseyBills

WR really isn't a pressing need this year, but it's not because of Marquez Stevenson.

I actually agree that our WR corps will be better this year than last, but it's really because Davis is better than Sanders and Crowder/McKenzie will be better than the hobbled Beasley from last year. After that it's just depth. I think Stevenson will be our permanent returner and our 6th spot is Touchdown Jesus. Maybe Hodgins impresses and creates that 7th spot.

This year isn't the worry for WR... at least in my eyes. The future is the worry. Next season (2023) we will have our current number 1 and number 2 WRs in the final years of their contracts. Now, we clearly keep 1 somehow, but will we be able to keep both? And if we can't, do we trade either Diggs or Davis next offseason?

For me, this is why I would be happy if we got Jameson Williams and just put him on PUP to start the year. 

I won't be remotely surprised or upset if we go CB in the 1st and RB in the 2nd. But we're still drafting a WR at some point. And in this draft class by all accounts you can get a significant contributor at WR on day 3 of this draft.

All this is to say that Stevenson is really going to be fighting for a roster spot.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't remember any game off the top of my head that Hodgins was active for. 

Like I said, the coaching staff seemed to gain alot of trust in Stevenson as the season went on. 

Six snaps on offense is "a lot of trust"?

His 40 snaps on STs shows a bit more faith, but six snaps on offense shows all but nothing.

I'm hopeful, but you can't say there's no need for anyone else based on six snaps, no rushes and no targets.

38 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This is what I dont understand.  He was a late rd rookie on a stacked WR corps and was activated immediately after coming off ir. 

I don't think it's a stretch at all that he could develop into a Mecole Hardman type of WR

Especially with Chad Hall coaching him up. 

You can teach and coach up alot of things but raw speed isn't one of em.

🤷‍♂️ We'll see. I'll definitely be re posting this around week 10.  I truly believe that

Hardman played in all 16 games his rookie year and put up 538 yards. Their WR corps was also stacked, with Tyreek, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, and Byron Pringle.

I think it would indeed be a stretch to compare the two.

Love his speed. If he figures out kick returns, I think he could be excellent, but so far he hasn't. Seems like a great guy, and sometimes players develop a lot. Maybe, but it just has not shown so far at the pro level.

Edited by Thurman#1

The Bills were the worst yards after catch team in the entire NFL last year.

They NEED someone who can take a short pass and do some damage to keep defense's honest.

It's not a want.........it's a NEED.

Before Josh Allen turned into RB1 and his 200-carry-season-pace made the Bills offense almost impossible to defend for 4 quarters........there were games where their lack of RAC ability and explosiveness in the short passing game was extremely detrimental.

Adding Jamison Crowder and his woeful 3.5 yac figure last year shouldn't be counted on to change that aspect.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't know how he is as a receiver, but what I saw of him as a returner was it looked like he had the worst field vision I've ever seen and was lucky he didn't get himself killed.

Marquez will not be long for this team. Go after better options like Jameson, Olave or Dotson.  He was awful as a returner and looked terrified. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're right. He has freakish speed. And he lasted until the 6th Round. What does that tell you? We needed speed and someone to stretch the field last season and they didn't use him. Even when we had injuries at WR. What does that tell you?

Maybe he'll stay on as the 6th or 7th WR. MAYBE. But it's insane to think he's going to be a contributor.

I don't even agree with this. He looks fast in college.... but his 40 was nothing crazy, and even worse his game speed did not look fast.

His college route running is sloppy af. Maybe things slow down for him, but an unacratched lotto ticket in the glove box doesn't give me hope

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were the worst yards after catch team in the entire NFL last year.

They NEED someone who can take a short pass and do some damage to keep defense's honest.

It's not a want.........it's a NEED.

Before Josh Allen turned into RB1 and his 200-carry-season-pace made the Bills offense almost impossible to defend for 4 quarters........there were games where their lack of RAC ability and explosiveness in the short passing game was extremely detrimental.

Adding Jamison Crowder and his woeful 3.5 yac figure last year shouldn't be counted on to change that aspect.

I like the Crowder signing but absolutely agree we still need receiver help. The lack of a true gamebreaker is the final piece this offense has been missing with Allen.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Our needs by priority:

1. OL + CB (tied)

2. WR depth + RB depth (tied)

3. LB

4. P

At least that's how I see it.

You've got OL way too high after signing Rodger Saffold, retaining Ryan Bates long term, re-signing Ike Boettger, and also signing Greg Mancz. Starting Line is set for this season and 4/5 of them are on long term contracts.

Maybe a mid round pick or two for development. But none of Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, or Brown are being benched and you don't spend your first rounder on a rotational Lineman who won't see much playing time in Year 1.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I'd say Stevenson has less than 50% odds of making the team, let alone getting meaningful reps. He may end up having untapped potential, but Beane isn't going to pass on WRs in rounds 1-3 hoping for that.

Guys like Stevenson are what scare me about this year's draft. There's a bunch of late round WRs who put up ridiculous 40-times at the combine, and are now being touted as Day 1/Day 2 picks because of that. If a guy's 40-time in shorts far outweighs his other attributes guys, those are guys you take in the 4th round or later, like Stevenson. The last 20 years of Drafts are littered with washouts who were drafted way too high because of a fast 40.

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed.

Ok a fact check is in order on this sentence alone. 

Houston Cougars play in th AAC, not the ACC.  BIG difference and non Power 5 conference may be a reason he went so late in the draft. 

Secondly, freakish speed is 4.25 in the 40.  Marquez ran 4.45 or 4.48 40 yd  dash at his Pro Day.  That is not freaky speed.  20 WRs in this years combine alone ran faster.

Remember they call them highlight reels for a reason.  Marquez had an injury shortened Sr season and sat out 2017 as an injured redshirt. He spent 5 years at Houston and is already 24.  For perspective, he is 1 year older than Gabe Davis.  With no meaningful snaps in the NFL.

I hope he is working on his KO and PR skills as those might be only ticket to make this roster

Edited by freddyjj
  • Agree 2

A nice post by Marquez Stevenson's agent. Thanks for participating.

I do hope he develops, it would be a real nice bonus to the WR room. But he did little in his first year to garner any confidence he'll be a big-time contributor going forward (as someone pointed out on page one, his field vision and radar system seemed broke on his return runs). But I do hope.

When he played, I thought Stevenson looked out of place on a football field. I think Hodgins has a far greater chance of getting meaningful snaps at WR this year. If they liked Stevenson so much, they probably would have let McKenzie walk. 

Beasley and Sanders are gone and Crowder, hopefully, more or less replaces Beasley. We are also "hoping" that Davis,McKenzie,Hodgins and Stevenson can replace Sanders'  production.

What if somebody gets hurt? If Diggs goes down do you really think Stevenson can pick up the slack?

I think Bills  need to draft a WR in 1st or 2nd round; add another weapon so Bills can impose their offensive will on opponents.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

Which coaching staff are you referring to and can you give any examples of this trust?  I thought he was one of the least impressive players I've seen in some time. Maybe he'll show something this season, but I have no expectations.

Klos, clearly the other coaching staff, not the one you're on.  😁 I agree though, I doubt he makes the team.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly. 

Immediately after coming off ir he was on the active roster

Ok, you're just trolling at this point.

Zero...Receptions...is your "breakout star"?  Why do some people think track speed is the only important quality a player can have and not actually being, you know, good?  You can be great by being fast AND good, but you're not good just by virtue of being fast.

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't remember any game off the top of my head that Hodgins was active for. 

Like I said, the coaching staff seemed to gain alot of trust in Stevenson as the season went on. 

except near the end when was inactive 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Ok a fact check is on order on this sentence alone. 

Houston Cougars play in th AAC, not the ACC.  BIG difference and non Power 5 conference may be a reason he went so late in the draft. 

Secondly, freakish speed is 4.25 in the 40.  Marquez ran 4.45 or 4.48 40 yd  dash at his Pro Day.  That is not freaky speed.  20 WRs in this years combine alone ran faster.

Remember they call them highlight reels for a reason.  Marquez had an injury shortened Sr season and sat out 2017 as an injured redshirt. He spent 5 years at Houston and is already 24.  

I hope he is working on his KO and PR skills as those might be only ticket to make this roster

Lol this is hilarious.   OP is just making a fool of themselves.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.