TSW Mock Draft Buffalo Bills Poll - Who should the Bills take at 25?

Virgil

Who should the Bills take at 25?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at 25?

• Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State (44)
    • Kenneth Walker III, RB, MSU (50)
    • Jahan Dotson, WR, PSU (39)
    • Christian Watson, WR, NDSU (53)
    • Tre McBride, TE, Colorado St (49)
    • Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (24)
    • Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota (28)
    • George Karlaftis, Edge, Purdue (13)
    • Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia (34)
    • Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia (21)
    • Trent McDuffie, DB, Washington (20)
    • Roger McCreary, DB, Auburn (26)
    • Daxton Hill, S, Michigan (19)

Just now, qwksilver said:

@Virgil Where do the #s in come from, someone's rankings?

CBS

Honestly, it's been hard to find many places that have enough depth at position that also ranks them right now.  ESPN is really behind this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills will not take a CB with under 30 inch arms in the 1st round. Or the 2nd round. Or the 3rd. Or the 4th. Or...

Out of these options I would bet on Watson or Hill. I voted Watson because I've heard he is a really good locker room guy, so when you combine that with his physical traits he seems like a McDermott/Beane pick.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills will not take a CB with under 30 inch arms in the 1st round. Or the 2nd round. Or the 3rd. Or the 4th. Or...

Out of these options I would bet on Watson or Hill. I voted Watson because I've heard he is a really good locker room guy, so when you combine that with his physical traits he seems like a McDermott/Beane pick.

Said this in another post - but holy hell, is this under 30" arms overblown. He is a QUARTER INCH under 30. He's barely over a half inch less than Dane Jackson. You don't pass on a guy who hasn't given up a TD in two years and plays as well as he has because he's a quarter inch under the threshold.

Daxton Hill is a Safety, that sometimes plays Nickel. He doesn't play outside. Could he? Maybe. But it's a projection. We don't need a Safety or a Nickel. Those starting positions are covered. Passing on a stud outside Corner because a quarter inch under 30 for a guy who doesn't play the position? Gotta question your logic there.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ifs and butts.....If he was an inch taller and had 30 inch arms (vs 29.5) he'd be a top 10 pick. At 25 he'll slide right into a starting position. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

McDuffie is the obvious pick at this point.

now, if we add a Gilmore/rhodes/Nelson that might change

Rhodes or Nelson, maybe. But Gilmore isn't happening. Teams with a lot of cap space want him to lower his asking price and we're looking for a bargain.

I'd also add James Bradberry isn't happening either. No way we give up more money than we're looking to pay for the role AND a premium draft pick for a guy on a one year deal that we won't extend.

We’d be lucky to land McDuffie 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But if his arms were 1/4 inch longer we would?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Said this in another post - but holy hell, is this under 30" arms overblown. He is a QUARTER INCH under 30. He's barely over a half inch less than Dane Jackson. You don't pass on a guy who hasn't given up a TD in two years and plays as well as he has because he's a quarter inch under the threshold.

Daxton Hill is a Safety, that sometimes plays Nickel. He doesn't play outside. Could he? Maybe. But it's a projection. We don't need a Safety or a Nickel. Those starting positions are covered. Passing on a stud outside Corner because a quarter inch under 30 for a guy who doesn't play the position? Gotta question your logic there.

Dax Hill has all the athletic traits to be a very good corner. With McD coaching him I believe he could be a top 10 CB in the league as an outside corner. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

For a 1st round CB you want someone that can contest catches against the Mike Evans of the world 1-on-1, or defend against a goal line fade. If you put McDuffie in the slot he might be elite. I wouldn't take a slot CB in the 1st round and McDermott won't use him outside. Whether you care about arm length or not it's something this regime values. Look at the CBs we've added and started. McDuffie is not even in the conversation.

Joe Marino pointed out there hasn't been an all-pro CB with under 30" arms in over 10 years, and only 3 under 32" in the same time frame. It matters.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For a 1st round CB you want someone that can contest catches against the Mike Evans of the world 1-on-1, or defend against a goal line fade. If you put McDuffie in the slot he might be elite. I wouldn't take a slot CB in the 1st round and McDermott won't use him outside. Whether you care about arm length or not it's something this regime values. Look at the CBs we've added and started. McDuffie is not even in the conversation.

Joe Marino pointed out there hasn't been an all-pro CB with under 30" arms in over 10 years, and only 3 under 32" in the same time frame. It matters.

Agreed, his secondary teammate Kyler Gordon seems like a more likely Bills pick than McDuffie but who knows, the Bills always surprise me

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Probably not. I don't think we will ever take a < 31" arm length CB on day 1 or 2. Personal feelings about it aside it's pretty obvious to me that McDermott values arm length in CBs.

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I voted McDuffie, but man it’s hard not to want Karlaftis or Wyatt. Obviously, our free agency moves and depth chart make both of them seem like unwise selections.

Yeah I would pick McDuffie as well. But Karlaftis might be better than anyone we have not named Miller. Its a moot point because I don’t think he is there in the real draft. But one of the two guys are BPA. 

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We’d be lucky to land McDuffie 

I find myself asking this often. If, for example, you won’t take a QB under 6’, but then I hold my thumb and forefinger an inch apart, and I ask if that really makes the difference between a winning player and a loser. I want guys who are just good football players. Watch the film more than the measurements. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I take Dax Hill and move him to corner.  When he bulks up a little I transition him back to safety if/when Poyer/Hyde move on.  He's an absolute ball hawk and freak athlete.  I like his instinctiveness compared to McDufie. Also faster and more range.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

I take Dax Hill and move him to corner.  When he bulks up a little I transition him back to safety if/when Poyer/Hyde move on.  He's an absolute ball hawk and freak athlete.  I like his instinctiveness compared to McDufie. Also faster and more range.

I feel like that would be a very good argument for Jalen Pitre also. Draft him in the 2nd round as a CB for this year. Move him to safety in the next year or 2. And then go draft another CB in rd 4-5 for insurance. 

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

I voted McDuffie, but man it’s hard not to want Karlaftis or Wyatt. Obviously, our free agency moves and depth chart make both of them seem like unwise selections.

I don't think Wyatt will be on our board because of character concerns:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Devonte-Wyatt-Dropping-Due-to-Character-Concerns

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878074-georgia-dl-devonte-wyatt-arrested-on-family-violence-other-misdemeanor-charges

One thing I know for a fact is that whoever we draft in the 1st round, immediately after the selection we'll all hear stories about their elite character and work ethic. This is why I gravitate to Christian Watson. From Lance Zerlein's profile on him:

Sources Tell Us

"I love the kid. ... He's going to be great in the locker room and work his tail off every day." -- Scout for AFC team

So we have a 2 star recruit out of high school who had to make a name for himself at an unrenowned football program, who developed into an athletic freak and is known for great work ethic, who happens to fit a position of need and add an explosive element that is missing from our offense. That's a 1st round McDermott/Beane player.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think you completely discount football IQ and what you see on tape over measurements. Especially when you consider he had a 38.5 inch vertical leap at yesterday's Pro Day. Which would have ranked 5th highest at the Combine.

They have surely been scouting him for a long time. They had to have been well aware of his size prior to the Combine. And they still had a Combine Meeting with him. And after the Combine where his arms were measured, they sent representatives to his Pro Day.

Again, I completely disagree with your assessment that he's off their radar because of his 29.75 inch arms.

47 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Dax Hill has all the athletic traits to be a very good corner. With McD coaching him I believe he could be a top 10 CB in the league as an outside corner. 

He hasn't done it at the College level. Big ask to expect him to then excel at it in the Pros and come in and start right off the bat. HUGE ask.

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think you completely discount football IQ and what you see on tape over measurements.

I don't think it's arguable that McDermott and Beane care about measurements. Every 1st round pick they've made has had prototypical measurements. I guess Ed Oliver is the one case you could make as far as pure physical traits but he had elite, almost generational, speed and agility measurements. With CBs in particular we have never started one with under 30" arms. Dane Jackson is the shortest they've gone at 30 3/8" and he was a 7th rounder that was forced into a starting role. I'll be totally shocked if they take a short arm CB in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Personally I think Kyler Gordon should be the CB listed. He's the only CB available that would be a realistic pick for the Bills at 25.

Kaiir Elam is another possibility.  Either could slip to them in the 2nd round.  

24 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Where is the Breece Hall gang? He's falling so far behind (a distant 3rd). I thought it would be much closer.

There’s only 3 of them. I voted to Breece because I felt bad for them

I didn’t realize Elam was still a available.  He should be the pick. Or Gordon. Either one is a better fit for our scheme.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Lost said:

When you watch those two videos you can almost cut McDuffie out and stick him right in our scheme. He is a tailor made perfect fit for what we do defensively. All the traits are there. I am typically a height-weight-speed guy and I suppose the short arms are concerning, but McDuffie is a perfect fit. Plug and play in the zone, instincts off the charts. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.