Tariq Castro-Fields - mid round pick?

whorlnut

Just saw that the Bills CB and ST coaches were at Penn State’s pro day. The only thing that makes sense there is Tariq Castro-Fields. He’s interesting and would profile to what I’ve been saying for a while now. That McD can coach anyone into a very good DB. That’s why I don’t see a first round corner. They have been very successful with mid round and undrafted corners. 

Castro-Fields ran a 4.38 at the combine and is 6’1” with nearly 31” arms. He would have the goods to be an immediate upgrade without using a first round pick. I think this is something to watch…

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Love it.  This is where I'm at... McDermott isn't perfect, but he's very good, and clearly has an eye for CB play and development. 

If I'm the Bills, I'm using my RD1 & RD2 picks on OL/WR/DL moving forward.  Then drafting two secondary players every year in Rounds 3-7.  Specifically targeting players like this that McDermott can work with and develop.  Keep the CB/S room stocked with constant draft picks, even if we're not spending high picks on the positions.  

Good find, and clearly we need speed in the secondary.  You can scheme ways to keep teams from throwing over the top.  Can't really scheme open field scenarios where Tyreek Hill just runs away from all your corners and safeties.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As a rule, I've never been crazy about Penn State corners.  As an alum, I watch a lot of their games when they are on TV and if the corners weren't giving up long receptions, they generally were guilty of pass interference.  Having said that, this past year, the secondary played quite well.  I had wondered if they had different coaching because there weren't as many big plays and flags.

• Like (+1) 1

PSU has a few guys that fit the Bills as their defense is similar to the McDermott scheme. 

TCF is certainly one guy who’s fit the scheme 

Brandon Smith is an elite athlete at LB who needs a lot of growing up, and would be viewed as an UDFA/late rounder 

And of course Jahan Dotson 

42 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Just saw that the Bills CB and ST coaches were at Penn State’s pro day. The only thing that makes sense there is Tariq Castro-Fields. He’s interesting and would profile to what I’ve been saying for a while now. That McD can coach anyone into a very good DB. That’s why I don’t see a first round corner. They have been very successful with mid round and undrafted corners. 

Castro-Fields ran a 4.38 at the combine and is 6’1” with nearly 31” arms. He would have the goods to be an immediate upgrade without using a first round pick. I think this is something to watch…

What round is he projected to go in? 

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills STs guy is looking at Jordan Stout the Punter who some feel is better than Araiza

Good call…forgot about him. Stout was really good at the senior bowl. Would be a good get if we can’t land araiza. 

46 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Great measurables but does it translate to his onfield production??  Wouldn't mind at all Dotson in the 1st, O-line in the 2nd, Castro-Fields in the 3rd and Stout in the 6th

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Not Levi

• whorlnut changed the title to Tariq Castro-Fields - mid round pick?
3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Love the measurables. McDermott and staff are excellent at developing DBs.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not Levi

I don't know. Levi was undrafted with very limited physical traits. I'd say they did a great job developing him into a serviceable DB. And this is coming from me who really wanted an upgrade at Levi's spot on the depth chart.

26 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I don't know. Levi was undrafted with very limited physical traits. I'd say they did a great job developing him into a serviceable DB. And this is coming from me who really wanted an upgrade at Levi's spot on the depth chart.

Yep, sounds interesting, though I don’t know enough to have an opinion here.

They DO know how to coach them up (easier in zone coverage), but that doesn’t mean we will only stick with lower round guys and UDFA’s. See: Tre White for reference. They know how to coach them, and they know how to pick good ones wherever they may be. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

serviceable yes.  “Very good”, nope

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yep, sounds interesting, though I don’t know enough to have an opinion here.

They DO know how to coach them up (easier in zone coverage), but that doesn’t mean we will only stick with lower round guys and UDFA’s. See: Tre White for reference. They know how to coach them, and they know how to pick good ones wherever they may be. 

Tre is a good point. But McD has always had an elite cover guy and someone that they developed on the other side. This goes back to his Carolina days. 

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

We have to draft him and another CB in round one….We’re ought of outside CBs aside from Dane Jackson….

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

We have to draft him and another CB in round one….We’re ought of outside CBs aside from Dane Jackson….

Totally disagree. This staff likes Dane Jackson. They developed him as a 7th round rookie. I can see them doing the same thing with a mid round corner to fill out the depth chart. A corner trio of Tre White, Dane Jackson, and round 2-4 rookie is a pretty good trio in this system. They have the best safety tandem in the league backing them up as well. 

We don’t NEED a first round corner. 

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You don’t think that Penn State has other talented players that the team might be doing due diligence on?  I’d honestly be disappointed if they did not have someone at any of the major college pro days.  

Dotson (WR) and Ebeketie (DE) are two that they could have been there for.

I may not be right, but I think you are way over-selling the magical coaching of DBs that this staff has done.  I think a better description would be that they’ve been hiding weakness at CB for a few years and that cost them a game in the playoffs vs KC this year.

40 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Tre is a good point. But McD has always had an elite cover guy and someone that they developed on the other side. This goes back to his Carolina days. 

Don’t be shocked if it’s BOTH a 1st rounder and a mid-rounder. It’s a passing league and the old saying of “you can’t have too many CB’s” is a true one. Not saying it will be, not saying it’s impossible. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You don’t think that Penn State has other talented players that the team might be doing due diligence on?  I’d honestly be disappointed if they did not have someone at any of the major college pro days.  

Dotson (WR) and Ebeketie (DE) are two that they could have been there for.

I may not be right, but I think you are way over-selling the magical coaching of DBs that this staff has done.  I think a better description would be that they’ve been hiding weakness at CB for a few years and that cost them a game in the playoffs vs KC this year.

Disagree. The coaching completely let everyone down at the end. I’m not gonna keep spelling this out for you…

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Disagree. The coaching completely let everyone down at the end. I’m not gonna keep spelling this out for you…

If you are talking about the 13 seconds, seek help. That wasn’t about talent and developing, that was a brain fart. Live and learn. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you are talking about the 13 seconds, seek help. That wasn’t about talent and developing, that was a brain fart. Live and learn. 

Ummmm…that’s my point. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this post…

Edited by whorlnut
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Well, I would not want to trouble you, your highness.  Are you suggesting that if Tre White was healthy and they had more than a stop-gap at CB2, that would not have made a difference in giving up a FG in 13 seconds?  No doubt that KC was/will still be a dynamic offense, but I would have liked the team’s chances better with White on the field and a more NFL caliber athlete opposite him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, I would not want to trouble you, your highness.  Are you suggesting that if Tre White was healthy and they had more than a stop-gap at CB2, that would not have made a difference in giving up a FG in 13 seconds?  No doubt that KC was/will still be a dynamic offense, but I would have liked the team’s chances better with White on the field and a more NFL caliber athlete opposite him.

Stop gap?  Haha. Whatever. Just because YOU feel that way about Levi and Jackson doesn’t mean the staff shares your same knowledgeable opinion. I’m fact, they thought about drafting corner last year in round 2 but they said they didn’t see anyone that they thought could beat out who the had. Not to mention they extended Wallace after the season. 

Maybe you should write a letter to the staff telling them that they have “stop gaps”. I’m sure they would love to hear that.

26 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Ummmm…that’s my point. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this post…

Maybe I should have bolded brain fart and live and learn. 

It’s over, I’ve moved on.  I guess that’s my point.  

45 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Stop gap?  Haha. Whatever. Just because YOU feel that way about Levi and Jackson doesn’t mean the staff shares your same knowledgeable opinion. I’m fact, they thought about drafting corner last year in round 2 but they said they didn’t see anyone that they thought could beat out who the had. Not to mention they extended Wallace after the season. 

Maybe you should write a letter to the staff telling them that they have “stop gaps”. I’m sure they would love to hear that.

If they really thought that much of Levi Wallace they would have resigned him for what the Steelers gave him. 2yrs total $8M is a bargain for a good starting CB.  They would have paid him, if they liked him as a starter or weren’t looking for an upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.