Time to speculate about the Colts’ QB situation [Speculation over, Matt Ryan is their guy]

Tipster19

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

To me the Colts are a QB away from being a championship team. How in the world with all this QB carousel going on they just trade off their starting QB, sit back and watch any and all valid QBs get realigned with new teams and they just stand pat??!!! Especially that they have a lunatic owner and they do NOTHING??! It just doesn’t make sense. At one point I was wondering if they were going to blow off the dust and try and get Andrew Luck out of retirement but that just doesn’t sit right the more I think about it. The only thing that I could come up with that would make any kind of sense is that the Colts works something out for Matty Ice. The Falcons don’t have squat going on and looks to be a great candidate for a complete rebuild. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Colts cough up a 1st rd pick for Ryan. I’m not sure what they have for draft picks because of what they paid for Wentz but I’m pretty sure without looking that they still have their 2023 1st rd pick. If somebody could weigh in and suggest a better solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately for the Colts, Watson was in their division but fortunate for us. I think they have a trade in place for Jimmy G is my guess, seems like a perfect fit imo. Ryan might be an option but is he even available? I haven’t heard anything about that.

53 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

I wonder why Mariota hasn't had his 2nd chance yet. I haven't heard anything about him as he's a FA. I think Reich would be able to work with him. Plus it wouldn't cost any draft capital. 

totally agree. I thought Mariotta was going to be a hotter FA prospect— even more so than Trubisky. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

I wonder why Mariota hasn't had his 2nd chance yet. I haven't heard anything about him as he's a FA. I think Reich would be able to work with him. Plus it wouldn't cost any draft capital. 

Probably because he's not that good.   He lost his starting job to Tannehill who sure wouldn't be confused with Mahomes or Allen.

43 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fitz is 39 and has a bad hip. He’s never going to play again. 

Fitz is still under contract to the Commanders IIRC.

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

He doesn't have a high enough ceiling for a team with championship aspirations. He's probably best suited to a bridge QB role for a team that isn't trying to compete right away. Only the Commanders seemed to fit that bill, but they chose Wentz. Seattle is lying to themselves that they can still compete with whatever vet option they bring in and Pittsburgh think maybe the jury is still out on Trubisky. There aren't that many jobs this year that make sense for a QB that couldn't outplay Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr. If Atlanta moves Ryan, he could make sense there. otherwise, look for him to sign another one year deal and go to a team hitting a rebuild next season.

I think he fills the same role as Tyrod Taylor for a team.

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

How likely is it that Cleveland will allow Baker to go to Indy?

Cleveland wants to recoup draft capital so it really depends on their offer versus Seattle, Carolina, etc.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

They should trade a 7th for Jordan Love. 

Intriguing thought.

Ultimately though I think it's best for this team to have a backup with a proven track record.

FWIW Keenum went 2-0 in his starts for the Browns last year. Mayfield went 6-8.

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Cleveland wants to recoup draft capital so it really depends on their offer versus Seattle, Carolina, etc.  

Seattle has plenty of draft capital for trading Wilson

Baker Mayfield Reportedly Wants to Be Traded to the Colts

However, Indianapolis does not own a first-round pick this year, making it unlikely they draft a starter at quarterback this year.

Indianapolis reportedly has interest in 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and could also look into signing former Saints quarterback Jameis Winston.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/18/baker-mayfield-indianapolis-colts-cleveland-browns-deshaun-watson

Indoors with a good OL

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Ryan would thrive there, but Atlanta isn't moving him now that they missed out on Watson. Mayfield would be serviceable as well because Indy leans on Jonathan Taylor more than anything. Janeane Garofalo wouldn't be bad either, but you are taking a chance with him coming of shoulder surgery. Mariota? Meh. They have options, but I don't see Ryan being realistic at this point. 

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

Probably because he's not that good.   He lost his starting job to Tannehill who sure wouldn't be confused with Mahomes or Allen.

Fitz is still under contract to the Commanders IIRC.

Well that doesn't mean he is planning to continue to play.  He may very well test his hip see if he can still play then decide if he wants to still play.  He has made a decent amount in his career and his degree is in finance I believe so he likely has investments set up to keep up his current living standards.  If he chooses he could easily get into coaching if he prefers that to wall street.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.