Von Miller vs Khalil Mack

DieHardBillsFan

And he's close with Staley:

Mack, who was officially traded from the Bears to the Chargers on Wednesday, said he’s excited to work again with Staley, who is now the Chargers’ head coach. Staley was the Bears’ linebackers coach when Mack arrived in Chicago, and Mack said on Wednesday that Staley meant a lot to him.

“That was the person that I spent the most time with when I first got to Chicago,” Mack said. “We would be in the room together going over the playbook. I feel like I had a week to prepare for the Packers — not even a week, maybe like five, six days. It was a quick turnaround, and he was a big part of me consuming a big part of that playbook.”

Mack said that when he first arrived in Chicago, he and Staley would go through all the normal practices and meetings, and then the two of them would stay together long after the rest of the team had gone home.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/17/khalil-mack-developed-a-fast-relationship-with-brandon-staley/

I would much rather have Miller anyway, not even counting the two draft picks we didn't give up to get him. And Mack is only 1 year younger. Mack is a great athlete, but Miller is that plus a super genius and 2X champ. I would maybe rather have Mack plus an upgraded RB or veteran corner or slot receiver, but Mack over Miller straight up? No way!

Nothing against Mack, but dude, to devalue draft picks we SORELY need right now is crazy to me.  We still have to address CB and WR early and would much rather do that with a 2nd round pick in hand than without it.  

McBeane era (one just Mcd, the other with McBeane) they have used 11 picks throughout the first and 2nd rounds to draft and trade (Diggs) for players.  

They netted a top 3 QB...a top 3 WR...and a top 5 CB in Allen, Diggs, and White.  One of which is a perennial MVP candidate, another led the league in receiving already since being here, and the other is a perennial all pro CB.  Additionally, they added other guys that have resulted in multiple pro bowlers and key starters such as Ed Oliver, Edmunds, Dawkins, etc.  

That second round pick is valuable to us, and that is probably the leading factor here is that we did not have to give up any draft assets.  I mean if we were going to trade, the better trade would have been Hunter not Mack.  

Plus not sure why they are saying Miller is more likely to miss games than Mack when Mack has had more injury issues.  That doesn't even make sense.  

So yeah, there is a big reason why and its cost to acquire was more than just cap room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm a perpetual Mack fan.  Whaley's biggest mistake ever as a GM, I was disappointed to see Beane let him go to the Rayduhs.  I thought it would have been the perfect time to fix the mistake.  But Von Miller is arguably equal to Mack, so we'll see what happens.

Miller has won multiple super bowls, super bowl MVP and has performed tremendously in the playoffs. He isn't equal, he is better. Especially when it counts.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

All things being equal, you take Mack. But as others have stated, that second round pick is a lot more valuable for a team paying it's qb 40m a year now. Pretty sure that was the deciding factor.

Key now is to hit on these early picks.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

All things being equal, you take Mack. But as others have stated, that second round pick is a lot more valuable for a team paying it's qb 40m a year now. Pretty sure that was the deciding factor.

Key now is to hit on these early picks.

All things being equal in a $$$ game, I’m taking Miller.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I honestly never thought Miller was an option because he hinted he wanted to go back to Denver or resigning with the defending SB that traded for him was most logical option.

So the fact he chose the Bills over both those teams (and possibly others) says a lot and on paper he's by far the better option than Mack if anything because of his championship experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Three reasons why the Bills likely preferred Miller to Mack…

1. Mack coming off injury vs Miller having 4 sacks in the playoffs.

2. Mack required draft capital 2nd and 6th, Miller required no picks (but will impact the comp pick formula).

3. While all details aren’t out on the Miller contract yet, the Mack Cap Hit moves to 23M for years 2 and 3 with the Chargers and no additional years to spread it out if needed. Miller’s deal likely has a lower cap hit and more flexibility.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's good to know we'll always be able to find something to whine about.

If you didn't notice, I basically sold that I believe we made the right pick and broke down why. But I also thought it was an interesting topic and wanted your thoughts on it. Or you can provide worthless BS.

Edited by DieHardBillsFan
  • Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Beane felt like Miller would personally be able to tutor Boogie Basham

I mean I like him being able to mentor the young guys but I feel like specifically Basham is completely diff than Miller. 

Rousseau much diff to, but closer than boogie

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

After the initial shock of Von Miller going to Buffalo, I have had time to reflect. Why didn't we try harder for Mack? I was sad to see Mack go to LA for only a 2nd and 6th, and thought we should have taken a shot at that. But I turned the page because we didn't have the money. But turns out we did have the money. Now Mack's cap hit for the Chargers in 2022 will be about the same as Millers which is around 17.5M.

With that in mind I am curious about the thinking here. If our team was willing to pay that money for a big time play maker at DE why didn't we go for Mack? According to draftsharks.com (which is the first source I found to check injuries and possibility to have injury in 2022, may not be the best) Mack has a lesser chance of missing games in 2022 than Miller by about half. I would also say that most agree, Mack would be the better player of the 2. So did we just miss the opportunity?

I want to try and make sense of this and not end on a perception of missed opportunity for a guy that this fanbase is very high on and has for years hoped we would gain. Lets say Beane was involved to some degree. Beane must put very high value on his draft picks. Potentially, Beane was already willing to part with that kind of money but figured he could add Jones or Miller for the same price and not have to part with his 2nd and 6th round pick.

So the takeaway would be that Beane believes that Mack for 17M+ a 2nd and a 6th is not worth as much as Von Miller at a similar price. I think I might be able to get behind that but curious of others thoughts. Do you agree that Miller is worth more than Mack + the 2 picks?

Have you watched mack play when not injured in the last 2 years.  He's half speed most plays and doesn't look to have the same burst.  Mack in my opinion is the one that is actually washed. 

• Agree 1

Just remembering....Miller standing next to Tyrod laying on the ground at midfield at the Ralph.   Miller extends his hand to TT, TT reaches for it, and Miller pulls his hand away.   The refs penalize the Bronco's 15 for unsportsman llike conduct.  Yes, I was there...and I wonder a little bit about that guy after that bad play.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.