Von Miller vs Khalil Mack

DieHardBillsFan

Just now, bigK14094 said:

Just remembering....Miller standing next to Tyrod laying on the ground at midfield at the Ralph.   Miller extends his hand to TT, TT reaches for it, and Miller pulls his hand away.   The refs penalize the Bronco's 15 for unsportsman llike conduct.  Yes, I was there...and I wonder a little bit about that guy after that bad play.

But did you want Gronk?

Miller

Jones

Mack but lose a 2nd

I think they are close enough that its not worth giving up a 2nd for Mack. Miller vs Jones is a close one. I think you could go either way on these guys. Miller is not playing in the dirt as much as Jones. But I like the idea of Miller lining up next to our bigger DE's or next to Oliver and running stunts. I see Jones being used in more of a traditional way. But either would be fine just glad we got one of them. 

46 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

I would have added a poll, but not sure how.

Not to blame but which you would say is higher value:

Von Miller + 2nd and 6th round pick

Khalil Mack

sometimes you just have to accept your good fortune and move forward instead of being greedy and constantly thinking how things could be better and brining weird negativity into the situation. Mack is only a year younger. Why would he be the better option even heads up.  It’s a close call. 

5 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

If you didn't notice, I basically sold that I believe we made the right pick and broke down why. But I also thought it was an interesting topic and wanted your thoughts on it. Or you can provide worthless BS.

Pretty sure this was the most positive line I could find about it in the op.

58 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

After the initial shock of Von Miller going to Buffalo, I have had time to reflect. Why didn't we try harder for Mack? I was sad to see Mack go to LA for only a 2nd and 6th, and thought we should have taken a shot at that. But I turned the page because we didn't have the money. But turns out we did have the money. Now Mack's cap hit for the Chargers in 2022 will be about the same as Millers which is around 17.5M.

With that in mind I am curious about the thinking here. If our team was willing to pay that money for a big time play maker at DE why didn't we go for Mack? According to draftsharks.com (which is the first source I found to check injuries and possibility to have injury in 2022, may not be the best) Mack has a lesser chance of missing games in 2022 than Miller by about half. I would also say that most agree, Mack would be the better player of the 2. So did we just miss the opportunity?

I want to try and make sense of this and not end on a perception of missed opportunity for a guy that this fanbase is very high on and has for years hoped we would gain. Lets say Beane was involved to some degree. Beane must put very high value on his draft picks. Potentially, Beane was already willing to part with that kind of money but figured he could add Jones or Miller for the same price and not have to part with his 2nd and 6th round pick.

So the takeaway would be that Beane believes that Mack for 17M+ a 2nd and a 6th is not worth as much as Von Miller at a similar price. I think I might be able to get behind that but curious of others thoughts. Do you agree that Miller is worth more than Mack + the 2 picks?

After the initial shock of Von Miller going to Buffalo, I have had time to reflect. Why didn't we try harder for Mack? I was sad to see Mack go to LA for only a 2nd and 6th, and thought we should have taken a shot at that. But I turned the page because we didn't have the money. But turns out we did have the money. Now Mack's cap hit for the Chargers in 2022 will be about the same as Millers which is around 17.5M.

With that in mind I am curious about the thinking here. If our team was willing to pay that money for a big time play maker at DE why didn't we go for Mack? According to draftsharks.com (which is the first source I found to check injuries and possibility to have injury in 2022, may not be the best) Mack has a lesser chance of missing games in 2022 than Miller by about half. I would also say that most agree, Mack would be the better player of the 2. So did we just miss the opportunity?

I want to try and make sense of this and not end on a perception of missed opportunity for a guy that this fanbase is very high on and has for years hoped we would gain. Lets say Beane was involved to some degree. Beane must put very high value on his draft picks. Potentially, Beane was already willing to part with that kind of money but figured he could add Jones or Miller for the same price and not have to part with his 2nd and 6th round pick.

So the takeaway would be that Beane believes that Mack for 17M+ a 2nd and a 6th is not worth as much as Von Miller at a similar price. I think I might be able to get behind that but curious of others thoughts. Do you agree that Miller is worth more than Mack + the 2 picks?

I’m thinking it’s partially because of the draft picks. Beane values drafting and developing, and this draft is deep, especially in the earlier rounds. That second is a really nice pick this year. Secondly, Miller seems to be the type of player personality wise the Bills love. It’s quite possible the Bills truly like Miller more head to head. So either that, or the draft picks were enough to offset the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

Overall, Miller has had the better career.  Playing for a Championship he has shown better play over the last season.  No draft compensation and similar money, I think it was the right call.  Miller dominated 2 Superbowls.  Won MVP in one and was in the running for 2 this past year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

sometimes you just have to accept your good fortune and move forward instead of being greedy and constantly thinking how things could be better and brining weird negativity into the situation. Mack is only a year younger. Why would he be the better option even heads up.  It’s a close call. 

I think I brought a thorough conversation point even though I agreed with the move in the end. I know there are many Mack fans here, me included. Not all conversations that you don't agree with are negative. You could be a politician though.

Maybe they wanted Miller over Mack. They tried to trade for Miller last year.  
also - wouldn’t need to give up assets 

I don’t have issues with Mack but he’s unavailable a lot and I think he’s overrated a bit here because he went to UB

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Just remembering....Miller standing next to Tyrod laying on the ground at midfield at the Ralph.   Miller extends his hand to TT, TT reaches for it, and Miller pulls his hand away.   The refs penalize the Bronco's 15 for unsportsman llike conduct.  Yes, I was there...and I wonder a little bit about that guy after that bad play.

image.png.2acc1c32c47e0f59900a2b3ab9914476.png

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Right, I summarized at the end with how I felt about it. That is usually how its done. Go over the details, follow with a decision.

So 95% of what you said is whining/complaining about why we didn't do this other thing, but because you said you might be okay with it in the last 5% it doesn't count as whining?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.